Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Yes, we have signed Pacquiao

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=2602660

The Pac Man and Golden Boy are indeed a team.

"Yes, we have signed Manny Pacquiao," Golden Boy Promotions boss Oscar De La Hoya told ESPN.com from his home in Puerto Rico on Monday.

Pacquiao

De La Hoya

De La Hoya confirmed Friday's ESPN.com report that his company had signed the Filipino icon to a seven-fight promotional contract during a secret dinner in Los Angeles last Monday night. In addition, Golden Boy will pay Pacquiao a signing bonus of about $300,000.

"Manny wants to finish his career with us," De La Hoya said. "It puts a smile on my face because he trusts us. He is putting his career in our hands. It says a lot about our company."

De La Hoya's bold move -- signing Pacquiao out from under rival promoter Bob Arum's Top Rank -- adds another star fighter to Golden Boy's increasingly deep stable, one that also includes Pacquiao rivals Marco Antonio Barrera and Juan Manuel Marquez along with Shane Mosley, Bernard Hopkins, De La Hoya himself and a host of other top fighters.

"It was basically us out-thinking the competition," De La Hoya said. "I had a goal and that goal was to sign Manny Pacquiao. We strategized and we figured it out and we were willing to do whatever it took to sign him."

According to Arum, the signing is a violation of his agreement with Pacquiao. Arum is promoting Pacquiao's Nov. 18 rubber match with Erik Morales and told ESPN.com that there is a specific provision in his contract with the fighter forbidding him from signing with any promoter before the bout.

"If he signed with Golden Boy, it violates the contract we have with Manny for this fight," Arum said. "I have a specific provision against it. It says you can't sign until after this fight with any other promoter. It's specific and says it clearly."

"Manny wants to finish his career with us. It puts a smile on my face because he trusts us. He is putting his career in our hands. It says a lot about our company."
    -- Oscar De La HoyaArum said he was unsure what he would do about it.
    "Golden Boy has torturously interfered with our contract. Under the specific language of the contract, they had to wait until after the fight was over to sign," Arum said. "I'm not going to let it slide. What we do is up to the attorneys. I don't like my contracts to be violated. Manny's lawyer [Jeng Gacal] went through my contract with a fine-toothed comb. I negotiated with him and specifically this paragraph."

Whatever the legal fallout is, De La Hoya took the lead making the deal, meeting Pacquiao at the airport when he arrived from the Philippines on Monday and wooing him over a three-hour-plus dinner in a private dining room at a Morton's Steakhouse before Pacquiao signed the deal with Gacal at his side.

"I made the effort to go out to the airport and greet him there and talk to him," De La Hoya said. "We not only talked about a promotional deal, but we also talked about our careers. Manny looks up to me and I think he can be one of the greatest fighters ever to come out of the Philippines. We touched on a lot of subjects. We just clicked and we were able to come to an agreement."

"I'm not going to let it slide. What we do is up to the attorneys. I don't like my contracts to be violated."
    -- Bob Arum
    Pacquiao (42-3-2, 32 KOs) came to the United States last week to begin his training camp for the highly anticipated rubber match with Morales. Many believed Pacquiao would sign a long term deal with Top Rank after the fight, and Arum was making plans for Pacquiao to fight in the Chinese territory Macau next spring at the Wynn Macau resort.

De La Hoya said Pacquiao hoped to keep the signing a secret until after the fight with Morales because he was worried about retribution from Arum for going with Golden Boy.

"It was Manny's request to keep it a secret until after the fight, but we talked about it yesterday," De La Hoya said. "I told him we can't keep secrets from the media or the boxing world. He understood and I assured him that everything would be OK in the Morales fight because he was concerned about Bob Arum or the judges or the referee being against him. I told him everything would be OK, don't worry about it.

"I told him everything would be fair. He has to win the fight, and we're not here to talk to judges or referees. We're here for him to make sure it is an even playing field."

De La Hoya said Pacquiao gave him the OK to talk about the signing, although Pacquiao was still reluctant to talk about it.

"I told him we might as well tackle this situation right now while it's so early in his training camp. We get it over with and then you can just focus on the fight," De La Hoya said. "The last thing we want is for him to be distracted the week of the fight. Let's get this out of the way and he can go train."

De La Hoya said he had been interested for months in signing Pacquiao, who broke from two promoters in recent years, Murad Muhammad and Gary Shaw, and was a much sought-after free agent.

"Many months ago there was a conversation between [Pacquiao trainer] Freddie Roach and Manny, and Freddie told him I wanted to meet him," De La Hoya said. "He didn't tell Manny the subject I wanted to talk to him about, but Manny was very excited because I know he looks up to me. Many months passed by and it never happened. So when Freddie was at the airport last week and he mentioned to Manny that I was there, he was excited and I was able to meet him."

AP Photo/Bullit Marquez
    Now with Golden Boy, Manny Pacquiao can focus on his Nov. 18 rubber match vs. Erik Morales.
    De La Hoya said they talked and then went to dinner to finalize the deal.

"We got there at about 10:30 and the restaurant was going to close at 11, but had already set up a private room in the back," De La Hoya said. "We were there until about 1:30 in the morning. We did everything over dinner."

De La Hoya said he expects resistance from Top Rank when it comes to including Golden Boy in the Nov. 18 promotion, but added, "We're Manny Pacquiao's promoter now, and whatever Manny wants from us, we will be there to represent him. If he wants me sitting ringside, I will be sitting there cheering for him, even if I don't expect to be sitting next to Bob. Whatever Manny wants, we will support him 100 percent. If I have to buy tickets, then I will buy the tickets.

"But I know we will not be welcomed with open arms if we decide to be involved in the promotion. We will be if Manny wants us to be. He's the boss. He hired us and it's whatever he desires."

Arum said he would not allow Golden Boy to be involved in any aspect of the promotion.

"Forget about that," Arum said. "No way."

Although De La Hoya said his main satisfaction was signing one of the premier fighters in the world, he said he did get some satisfaction beating Arum.

"I really have to admit this -- it did bring a smile to my face at first," De La Hoya said. "But then I thought about it. Bob and I worked together for many years and I would really love to work with him again. We can make some really good fights. There's rumblings about a Shane Mosley-Antonio Margarito fight. But that will never happen with the way things are between Bob and I now. If we can patch things up and let bygones be bygones, I would love to work things out. If Bob and I can patch things up it will be good for us and good for the sport. I wouldn't mind calling him and maybe going out to Vegas to sit down and talk. I could see it. Let's move on."

If Pacquiao beats Morales -- they split their first two bouts, with Pacquiao scoring a knockout in the Jan. 21 rematch -- De La Hoya's plans for Pacquiao include major fights.

First up would be a rematch in March between Pacquiao and Barrera. When they met in 2003, Pacquiao scored an 11th-round knockout in a featherweight championship fight. Barrera went on to win the junior lightweight championship and a rematch has been talked about since.

Another significant fight for Pacquiao would be a rematch with Marquez. In their May 2004 featherweight title fight, Pacquiao scored three knockdowns in the first round but was held to a draw in a sensational action battle.

"Assuming that Manny is able to take care of Morales, Barrera loves the idea of a rematch," De La Hoya said. "That's the one fight he really wants. Obviously, Manny is more than happy to give him a rematch. That's the fight we can shoot for. Manny has his hands full in November, but we've laid out a map of what Manny's fights in the future can be."

As for a potential Marquez rematch, De La Hoya said, "Their fight was amazing, a great underrated fight. I think that rematch can easily be made. Both of them want to fight each other again. I don't think it will be a problem."

De La Hoya also mentioned others from his stable as potential opponents, including junior lightweight title holder Joan Guzman and lightweight titlist Jesus Chavez, who could drop back to 130 pounds.

Although Pacquiao has signed with a new promoter, he is breaking with his current management team. His contract with managers Shelly Finkel, Nick Khan and Keith Davidson is up Jan. 31, and they have agreed to release him following the Morales fight. However, Finkel is trying to negotiate a new deal in order to remain with Pacquiao.

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.

Also SeeSources: Golden Boy signs Pacquiao to seven-fight deal
    Golden Boy signed Manny ...

Adjust Font Size:

Boxing DVDs, Boxing T-shirts, and More
    Huge selection of boxing DVDs, boxing T-Shirts, and other boxing memorabilia. We specialize in fast shipping and low prices. We will not be beaten. (www.fightfarm.com)

Boxing DVDs and More
    At BoxingGalore, you will find all kinds of memorabilia from DVDs to autographs of your favorite fighters. (www.boxinggalore.com)

Boxing Fights on DVD
    For boxing fans, boxing super fights, career sets, trilogies, documentaries, KO's of your favorite boxers on DVD for less than wholesale prices. Compare and save. (www.boxingvideodepot.com)

ESPN WebHot ESPN Searches: College Football rankings | MNF: Monday Night Surround Week 3 | NHL season preview
    Hot Multimedia Searches: The Contender semifinals | Shockey sounds off on Coughlin | MNF: ATL v. NO previewBoxing Headlines
    • De La Hoya: Pacquiao's 'With Us'
    • Despite broken jaw, Abraham keeps middleweight belt
    • Nelson vacates WBO cruiserweight title after injury
    • Theft of copper water pipes latest setback for Kronk
    • Like father, like daughter: Laila Ali to make MSG debut
    ESPN's Top Headlines
    • Gruden: Simms doing 'fine'; may play again in '06 |
    • Sources: Leinart to start for mistake-prone Warner
    • Padres' Wells scratched from key start vs. Cards
    Most Sent Stories
    1. Rutgers ranked in Top 25 for first time since '76
    2. Seahawks' Alexander out indefinitely with foot fracture
    3. Behrens: Big Hurt best ever?
    More...

ESPN.com: Help | Media Kit | Report a Bug | Contact Us | Site Map | Tools | Jobs at ESPN | Supplier Information | Copyright ©2006 ESPN Internet Ventures. Terms of Use for our Site, Terms of Use for ESPN Motion and Privacy Policy and Safety Information/Your California Privacy Rights are applicable to you. All rights reserved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Yes, we have signed Pacquiao

hmmmmmm thoughts my friends? i said it before but this makes MAB vs PAC II even more a reality since they'll be the same promo team. not to sound biased, but Pac is by far the most exciting international superstar who can possibly bring back boxing to the masses again! first the NIKE endorsement and then the biggest draw in boxing's promo team signs him. PAC's the next rockstar of Boxing yo! Whip out the Sam Miguel, Lumpias, and Adobo fellas!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

PAC didn't wanna deny nor confirm it...well, I guess the "Boss" had said it.

i say good thing for both of the parties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ODLH said he was going to bring us the top fights out there...he is intent on giving the fans the fights they want to see.....Good for ODLH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by archiekinZ_dos

COOL CLICK bro! welcome to the forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigragu
    ODLH said he was going to bring us the top fights out there...he is intent on giving the fans the fights they want to see.....Good for ODLH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    COOL CLICK bro! lets hope those are indeed his intentions!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TheBESTP4P

thanks bro...am looking forward to meeting cool pips like yo sef!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TheBESTP4P

thanks bro...am looking forward to meeting cool pips like yo sef!

hey bro i am COOL. im buying everyone chicken wings and beer who's ever going to vegas come nov18th for GRAND FINALE baby hollaaaaaaaaaaar

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oscar De La Hoya is gonna have a fight off

FIGHT OFF
    JMM vs. MAB vs. PAC vs. BARRIOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What kind of promoter brings a legal sh^tstorm into his new fighters camp like this ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMicK
    Oscar De La Hoya is gonna have a fight off

FIGHT OFF
    JMM vs. MAB vs. PAC vs. BARRIOS
    SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

...almost slept on this one...
    shucks! i really wanted the (possible) Valero fight in Macau...
    non of the present 130 pounders excites me... Barrios (135?) turned out to be a styleless wild-swinger... the over-rated Guzman was on the retreat most of the later rounds, his only effective weapon being a stiff but short hook effective only on the inside. Guzman bandwagon reminds me of the Juarez bandwagon, everybody jumping on today, gone tommorow... there seem to be more exciting fighters at 135 but that would be asking too much from Manny, he gets smaller with every increase in weight...
    ...down on a bad fluuuuuu! so from some obscure village in the Philippines, amidst coconut trees under the starlit sky, pacfan now signing off. magandang gabi... . . . . . .
    Once in awhile, get outside in fresh air, take a deep breath & with a deep sigh, let out all the things that's bottled up inside you & be free, & you'll get a glimpse of nirvana.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by pacfan
    ...almost slept on this one...
    shucks! i really wanted the (possible) Valero fight in Macau...
    non of the present 130 pounders excites me... Barrios (135?) turned out to be a styleless wild-swinger... the over-rated Guzman was on the retreat most of the later rounds, his only effective weapon being a stiff but short hook effective only on the inside. Guzman bandwagon reminds me of the Juarez bandwagon, everybody jumping on today, gone tommorow... there seem to be more exciting fighters at 135 but that would be asking too much from Manny, he gets smaller with every increase in weight...
    ...down on a bad fluuuuuu! so from some obscure village in the Philippines, amidst coconut trees under the starlit sky, pacfan now signing off. magandang gabi... . . . . . .
    hey yo pacfan i just saw the Black Eye Peas video for BEBOT for the first time last night! and DAMN! so many fine pinays in that video yo! now i know whats going down Nov 18th fo sho!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Christ almighty...I just don't know what to think.

Honestly...I'm thrilled for Manny because I believe it takes a boxer like Oscar to become one of the greatest promoters...EVER.

I also think that Oscar's gonna bring boxing & all of his fighters back into the lime light...because love him or hate him folks...Oscar is connected & he's just good for boxing.

The only down side is...will he make the matches that need to be made?

One day I think yes...the next I don't. As a promoter...Oscar seems to, not only think about, but think like a fighter. I just hope in his quest to help concreter Barrera & Marquez's legacy's that he doesn't hinder them by keeping the Pac fights from coming about.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow, that is all i have to say. Oscar is becoming a hell of a force in the promotional area of the boxing world. He has stepped it up and made every other promoter just look foolish. He has signed some of the top talent in boxing. While other promoters have 1 or 2 aces in their staff oscar has plenty to have fights lined up for the rest of the year. Man Oscar signs a few more people he could potentially have many other promoters by the balls.

Thread Information