Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about Ring Mag rankings(don't mean to sound rude!)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Question about Ring Mag rankings(don't mean to sound rude!)

I just want to know why you guys think they are so great? I was just checking out their rankings and they seem as bad as all the other organisations(forgive me if I'm missing something,I don't know much about them)

for WW,they have Zab Judah at number 3 despite having lost 4 of his last 7 fights,they have Urkal at 6,Gatti at 7 above Quintana,Julio,Williams etc. I could give more examples too,I meanw hat do they use to caculate their system??

Also,Margarito has been in the top 10 for 273 FOOOOOOKING WEEKS!! WTF does this man have to do to nail a shot at the big time!!

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Question about Ring Mag rankings(don't mean to sound rude!)

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    I just want to know why you guys think they are so great? I was just checking out their rankings and they seem as bad as all the other organisations(forgive me if I'm missing something,I don't know much about them)

for WW,they have Zab Judah at number 3 despite having lost 4 of his last 7 fights,they have Urkal at 6,Gatti at 7 above Quintana,Julio,Williams etc. I could give more examples too,I meanw hat do they use to caculate their system??

Also,Margarito has been in the top 10 for 273 FOOOOOOKING WEEKS!! WTF does this man have to do to nail a shot at the big time!!
    He has to fight somebody.. It's been a year and a half since his only decent win.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking

He has to fight somebody.. It's been a year and a half since his only decent win.
    Yeah I agree with that,very poor activity levels this year for Tony. I still want to know why Ring ratings are so much better than other rankings though,can anyone help?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking

Yeah I agree with that,very poor activity levels this year for Tony. I still want to know why Ring ratings are so much better than other rankings though,can anyone help?
    I think The Ring's ratings get the most respect because they have been doing it the longest. You can't help but having bias in any rating system check this out, I think that the Ring's list is just as good or better than anyone elses

The Ring

(C) CARLOS BALDOMIR 43-9-6 (13)
    1 FLOYD MAYWEATHER 36-0 (24)
    2 ANTONIO MARGARITO 33-4 (24)
    3 ZAB JUDAH 34-4 (25)
    4 LUIS COLLAZO 26-2 (12)
    5 KERMIT CINTRON 26-1 (24)
    6 OKTAY URKAL 37-3 (11)
    7 ARTURO GATTI 40-8 (31)
    8 PAUL WILLIAMS 31-0 (23)
    9 CARLOS QUINTANA 23-0 (1
    10 JOSHUA CLOTTEY 29-1 (1

BoxRec

1 Floyd Mayweather
    2 Ricky Hatton
    3 Antonio Margarito
    4 Carlos Manuel Baldomir
    5 Zab Judah
    6 Paul Williams
    7 Juan Lazcano
    8 Arturo Gatti
    9 Kermit Cintron
    10 Carlos Quintana

Fightnews

1. Floyd Mayweather
    2. Antonio Margarito
    3. Carlos Baldomir
    4. Paul Williams
    5. Zab Judah
    6. Luis Collazo
    7. Kermit Cintron
    8. Carlos Quintana
    9. Joshua Clottey
    10. Otkay Urkal
    11. Frederic Klose
    12. Demetrius Hopkins
    13. Arturo Gatti
    14. Joel Julio
    15. Walter Matthysse
    16. Mark Suarez

WBO

(C) Antonio Margarito
    1. Paul Williams
    2. Shane Mosley
    3. Carlos Quintana
    4 . Jan Zaveck
    5. Joshua Clottey
    6. Kermit Cintron
    7. Luis Collazo
    8. Michael Trabant
    9. Mark Suarez
    10. Zab Judah
    11. Joel Julio
    12. Cosme Rivera
    13. Mehrdud Takalobighoshi
    14. Kelvin Anderson
    15. Vitaliy Demyanenko

IBF

1 Mark Suarez
    2 Kermit Cintron
    3 Floyd Mayweather
    4 Luis Collazo
    5 Paul Williams
    6 Joshua Clottey
    7 Sharmba Mitchell
    8 Frederik Klose
    9 Carlos Quintana
    10 Thomas Damgaard
    11 Walter Matthysse
    12 David Estrada
    13 James Webb
    14 Roberto Garcia
    15 Chad Bennett

WBA

(C) Ricky Hatton
    1. Oktay Urkal
    2. Carlos Quintana
    3. Luis Collazo
    4. Frederic Klose
    5. Joel Jair Julio
    6. Mark Suarez
    7. Paul Williams
    8. Demetrious Hopkins
    9. Farkhad Bakirov
    10. Marco Avendano
    11. Oscar Diaz
    12. Yuriy Nuzhnenko
    13. Nelson Linares
    14. Delvin Rodriguez
    15. Alpaslam Aguzum

WBC

(C) Carlos Baldomir
    1. Floyd Mayweather
    2. Paul Williams
    3. Carlos Quintana
    4. Joshua Clottey
    5. Luis Collazo
    6. Miguel Rodriguez
    7. Julio Garcia
    8. Arturo Gatti
    9. Joseph Makaringe
    10. Jackson Osei Bonsu
    11. Joel Julio
    12. Mark Suarez
    13. Alpaslam Aguzum
    14. Sharmba Mitchell
    15. Irving Garcia

For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC Killer,I think they all seem to be a bit wack,I mean Boxrec,Lazcano??

Correct me if I'm wrong but not only is there not that much difference between the rankings BUT wasn't the RING the only 1 which has ACTAULLY been found of fixing it's rankings(I have a relaible source-BRITKID )

I just don't see why they are so hihgly rated,just look like another ranking system to me,as confused as the others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like to see Dan Rafaels Rankings he has good explanations for where fighters are on his lists.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Rafael,Fischer and a few others too and would rather hear what they had to say,independent writers,boxing fans like us,kind of like by the people for the people. Their rankings usually make more sense and even if you don't agree,they put forward an explanation for their ranking,these bodies,and ring,seem like mindless organisations using boxing statistics to control their rankings. That's just how it seems to to me but hey,I'm an open person,I want to know why RING is seen as the best.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by aangel
    I like to see Dan Rafaels Rankings he has good explanations for where fighters are on his lists.
    Dan Rafael's List for Welter

1. Carlos Baldomir
    2. Floyd Mayweather Jr.
    3. Antonio Margarito
    4. Ricky Hatton
    5. Luis Collazo
    6. Zab Judah
    7. Kermit Cintron
    8. Oktay Urkal
    9. Paul Williams
    10. Arturo Gatti

For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If I may add the ring has a very shady history. In the late seventies and early eighties they were known to play with a lot of the rankings some times even adding fake victory's to a boxers record in order to make him look more worthy of joining the infamous Don King tournament which for the most part was made up of scrubs. Don would pay them under the able of course for this. I know this was a long time ago but if htey were bought once they can be bought again. Who's to say that they dont still except mony from managers and promoters in order to have their fighters discretely move up a few ranks in order to make them look more worthy to the public. I aint saying this is going on, but I am saying its very possible.
    " To beat me he will have to kill me and to do that he has to be willing to die himself "

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep
    Quote Originally Posted by aangel
    Dan Rafael's List for Welter

1. Carlos Baldomir
    2. Floyd Mayweather Jr.
    3. Antonio Margarito
    4. Ricky Hatton
    5. Luis Collazo
    6. Zab Judah
    7. Kermit Cintron
    8. Oktay Urkal
    9. Paul Williams
    10. Arturo Gatti

Quintana His won over Julio is more impressive than anything Urkal,Gatti,Cintron etc have done and he's still unbeaten. Those rankings must be old.

Quote Originally Posted by boxman
    If I may add the ring has a very shady history. In the late seventies and early eighties they were known to play with a lot of the rankings some times even adding fake victory's to a boxers record in order to make him look more worthy of joining the infamous Don King tournament which for the most part was made up of scrubs. Don would pay them under the able of course for this. I know this was a long time ago but if htey were bought once they can be bought again. Who's to say that they dont still except mony from managers and promoters in order to have their fighters discretely move up a few ranks in order to make them look more worthy to the public. I aint saying this is going on, but I am saying its very possible.
    Yep,that;s exactly what I heard. That;s why I don't understand why they are seen as so prestigious? Could it be that they have 1 true champ per division?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really liked Boxrec about a week ago, they had Kassim Ouma at number 5 on their pound for pound list

Now they've dropped him off the list totally, so I don't like them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC Killer,I think they all seem to be a bit wack,I mean Boxrec,Lazcano??

Correct me if I'm wrong but not only is there not that much difference between the rankings BUT wasn't the RING the only 1 which has ACTAULLY been found of fixing it's rankings(I have a relaible source-BRITKID )

I just don't see why they are so hihgly rated,just look like another ranking system to me,as confused as the others.
    Juan Lazcano is a terrific fighter ! sporting wins over James Leija ,Ben Tackie, John John Molina and Stevie Johnston.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well i think The Rings ratings are the most accurate. What I don't like about all the sanctining bodies ratings(wbc,wbo,ibf,wba) is that they don't rate other sanction bodies champions which just doesn't make sense. How can Baldimor be the real champ but not even be in the ratings of the wbo,wba,ibf.I think the ring gives the best unbiased report of who the best fighters in the divison really are. I mean come on you know baldimor is champ so who would be his #1 contender? I think floyd. Not paul williams(wbo)mark suarez(ibf) or Oktay urkal(wba)

I think it makes sense. What welter besides baldimor,floyd, and margarito is better than zab. Who else would be favored to beat him? As far as quintana,julio,and williams goes, they are where they are because yes they look good in ring but they have done nothing. Quintanas best win is julio.Who? Julio has no good wins and williams best win was over a done mitchell. At least urkal has been in with tszyu and harris and gattis been in with the best he just can't beat the best.
    Step up so I can put you down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Ring is what will save boxing. As more and more alphabet organizations spring up, the casual fan needs to be able to recognize one champ in each division. The Ring provides that without demanding the outragous sanction fees. ESPN has already joined on, and all we need is HBO and SHow Time to agree to use the Rings ratings.

Also boxrec's ratings are done by a mathamatical formula, that is unable to take into account certain intangible attributes, so everyone once in a while you get a real weird result.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boxman
    I do believe that was at least one owner ago if not two. I like them better because unlike with the alphabelts you dont have to pay them to be ranked. With the alphabelts you have to pay sanctioning fees to them for your bouts. The more bouts you have sanctioned by them the better your ranking. At least from what I have read from various websites this how it works. If you look at the rankings there a only a few boxers ranked by each alphabelt organization.

That is my 2 cents anyways.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. --Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information