Thread: frank bruno vs mike tyson 1st fight how bad did bruno stun tyson

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: frank bruno vs mike tyson 1st fight how bad did bruno stun tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty
    Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    yea he was i didnt see him jab much against tony tucker either in 1987 and that was when he was in his *prime* bruno hurt him bad if he had that real killer instinct like tyson he could of caused real trouble for him when he staggered him but oh well but that first round was loads of action in that 1 st round good round of heavyweight action
    watching that fight with the sound off I don't see Tyson get stunned.

But Tyson didn't look like he used to to me, I've seen his old fights but right there he looks one dimensional just winging hooks and big shots looking for the KO and Tyson in his quote unquote prime. Would set traps, was defensively sound, would set you up for combinations and not just one big shot winging away like he is against Bruno.
    Well i dont tknow about you or anyone else here at Saddo's but ive alwyas believed that the Bruno fight was the begining of the end for Tyson.
    despite the 5th round KO. this WASNT a good performance (as you better put it)

But i have to disagree, Tyson was wobbled badly and Bruno like the lovable lemon that he is, threw some of the worst follow up shots in Heavyweight history
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Stunned like a Norweigan Blue Parrot!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by THE THIRD MAN

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why am i hearing that in a Dick Van Dyke Cockney accent

Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master
    Googoogachoob your dreaming if you believe Witherspoon would have won. In fact if Witherspoon had won the fight you probably would have wanted Bonecrusher to win, but all the fighters at that time were made to look ordinary by Tyson because he was fighting great and was unstoppable.

The punch hurt Tyson and it would have knocked out most fighters but Tyson recovered because he had a good chin and there really was not much opportunity to capitalise. Tyson fought straight back, the same when he got hit against Bonecrusher and Tucker. The fact that we are talking about clear punches that landed on Tyson during his best shows how good he was.
    Well the thing is there's no such thing as an unstoppable fighter. The early career of Tyson is impressive but there's always someone round the corner who's got your number. If a young Tyson struggled with James Tillis then he could certainly have had problems with Witherspoon who was a very good defensive fighter, well schooled, decent power, experienced and, when motivated, was a really good fighter.

Not sure how much of a coincidence it was that Tyson never fought Witherspoon

Mentioned
    1674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tyson did not avoid any fighters in those days, they lined them up in order of merit and he knocked most of them out. Witherspoon never hit the peak of his fight with Holmes, so unless that one version came back Tyson would have brutally beaten him like the rest. He certainly was one of the best fighters not to have fought Tyson during that period.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Witherspoon was good, no doubt but a peak Tyson would have beaten him easily.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    My opinion of Tysons chin is that he never had a great one. One thing that Tyson did have though was great head movement and he used the peekaboo style of defense brilliantly (very similar to Joe Frazier in style but without the heart or granite chin). He got away with being hurt against Bruno because Bruno was frightened to death of him and he was scared of getting knocked out with a counter punch if Tyson was "Playing Possum". IMO Tyson lost all his defensive qualities when he let Don King take control and sack Kevin Rooney who had been with Tyson for a long time.

El Kabong Guest

....I say that all the time rjjtszyu but no one sees the similarities between Frazier and Tyson other than me....and I guess you

Tyson's style wasn't unbeatable...I mean hell everyone's style IN THEORY is perfect but there are weak spots in that style....movement, a good jab, size, and good defense all give that style some problems individually

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    ....I say that all the time rjjtszyu but no one sees the similarities between Frazier and Tyson other than me....and I guess you

Tyson's style wasn't unbeatable...I mean hell everyone's style IN THEORY is perfect but there are weak spots in that style....movement, a good jab, size, and good defense all give that style some problems individually
    Your not the only one Lyle i agree with you aswell.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Deuce
    man, the only thing i saw in that round was how bad Frank bruno needed a point taken away for holding behind the head, and punching. AT LEAST 1 Point.... that was rediculous.
    That was what Bruno did best . He usewd to wrap up guys and hit em with illeagle shots .Mcall got really fustrated by it and Lewis got told off whenever he hit Bruno back

El Kabong Guest

...Well Tyson did some dirty deeds in the ring too, always with the forearm in the throat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by rjj tszyu
    My opinion of Tysons chin is that he never had a great one. One thing that Tyson did have though was great head movement and he used the peekaboo style of defense brilliantly (very similar to Joe Frazier in style but without the heart or granite chin). He got away with being hurt against Bruno because Bruno was frightened to death of him and he was scared of getting knocked out with a counter punch if Tyson was "Playing Possum". IMO Tyson lost all his defensive qualities when he let Don King take control and sack Kevin Rooney who had been with Tyson for a long time.
    tyson and frazier are nothing alike in style! except the fact they they were both pressure fighters that like to press forward but thats where the similarities end.
    frazier bobbed to exsesivly and rarely weaved. tyson bobbed, slipped and weaved consistantly. eg watch tyson vs gross.......it is perfect example of tysons brilliant devensive skills which was on a higher level than frazier. joe did have a huge hart and determination though. but ur wrong about tysons chin and heart. just watch the ruddock fights and tell me he dosent have heart and a good chin
    &quot;To see a man beaten not by a better opponent but by himself is a tragety&quot; -Cus D&#039;amato-<br /><br />&quot;I pitty the fool&quot;-clubber lang-<br /><br />&quot;My power is discombobulatingly devastating I could feel is muscle tissues collapse under my force. It&#039;s ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm&quot;

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Parrot sketch from Monty Python!

Mentioned
    1674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC Troy McClure save me repeating what you have said already.

Bruno was more scared the second time they fought. He did hurt Tyson but only for a split second and Tyson was back on to him. No chance for Bruno to capitalise. Tyson was very dirty in that fight but that was one of his worst performances because of all the outside problems in his life.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information