Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Bernard Hopkins Disses Joe Calzaghe

By DHB (Oct 19, 2006) www.DoghouseBoxing.com

This past Saturday, super middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe after defeating Sakio Bika said a Hopkins bout is the one fight he wants most. In a recent interview conducted by popular Boxing Scribe Dan Rafael of ESPN.com, Hopkins made it clear he is not interested in Calzaghe, but instead is focused on fighting Heavyweight Champion, Oleg Maskaev. To face Maskaev, Hopkins is willing to come out of retirement.

Hopkins complimented Calzaghe, telling ESPN: "It's not that Calzaghe is not worthy of the fight. He is. He has become a
    major player in boxing."

The dissing came however when Hopkins said fighting Calzaghe would be a step backwards and no satisfaction or gratification would come of it for Hopkins.

Hopkins further tells ESPN in regards to fighting Cazaghe: "But to me, it's going backwards. That's not a bigger fight than me beating the heavyweight champ of the world. I cannot get the satisfaction or gratification fighting Calzaghe. I would be the underdog against Maskaev, but not necessarily against Calzaghe. I just don't see that fight being as big as a Maskaev fight."

Source of Quotes: Dan Rafael, ESPN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Bernard Hopkins Disses Joe Calzaghe

i agree id rathe see b-hop go for OLEG and the WBC HW belt than JC.

JC should unify instead!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't sound like he's dissin' Joe to me.

Just 'spaining that he already made his mark there, and if he's going to come out of retirement, it's going to be for something new.

That ain't dissin' Joe.

Still and all, I'd like that fight (Joe-Bernard) to happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TheBESTP4P
    i agree id rathe see b-hop go for OLEG and the WBC HW belt than JC.

JC should unify instead!
    right on!!! He has moved past the lower weight divisions and needs to go for the big one!!!! Heavy weight champ!! But for the record I wish he would stay retired.....he has done plenty to secure his legacy in my eyes..... B-HOP HOF Bound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think anyone believes that MAskaev would be a more meaningful fight though. By the time it happens, considering what it would mean either way, Joe C vs Hop is a much more meaningful fight... If HOpkins beat Maskaev, well, Maskaev sucks. IF he doesn't, he's 42 and put on 40+ pounds since he was 41 to make the fight.. Joe C vs Bhop could easily happen at 175 soon.. And either one would get major credit for winning as compared to the other fight imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins vs Calzaghe would be the better fight for Calzaghe...if he were to win it.

Hopkins vs Maskaev would be the better fight for Hopkins...if he were to win it.

Personally...I'd rather see Hopkins vs Calzaghe...then again...I'd rather Hopkins just retire.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Very bad topic title.. he clearly says clazaghe is a jaor player and worthy of a fight.. its just logic that being HW champ is more than SMW lol....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah maybe but i didnt make the title of the article.I just copied and paste.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking
    I don't think anyone believes that MAskaev would be a more meaningful fight though. By the time it happens, considering what it would mean either way, Joe C vs Hop is a much more meaningful fight... If HOpkins beat Maskaev, well, Maskaev sucks. IF he doesn't, he's 42 and put on 40+ pounds since he was 41 to make the fight.. Joe C vs Bhop could easily happen at 175 soon.. And either one would get major credit for winning as compared to the other fight imo.
    Am I alone in thinking a Maskaev Hopkins fight would be absolutely awesome.

I entirely and 100% agree with B-Hop that fighting Calzaghe pales in comparison to fighting Maskaev.

Don't get hung up on the quality of the fighters, it's totally irrelevent, it's the fact that Hopkins could challenge and very possibly win a heavyweight title!

Forget the fact that the heavyweights are shit, this is still a potential legendary achievement in the making if Hopkins takes it.

If he beat Calzaghe it would mean nothing whatsoever to his legacy as Calzaghe's status would be diminished by virtue of losing to Hopkins, 'he just wasn't as good as we thought' would be the cry.

If Hopkins beats Maskaev it matters not a toss whether Oleg is any good, all that counts is that Hopkins won a world heavyweight title, a feat that in 20 years would have people speculating whether he or Robinson was the greatest middleweight of them all.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo
    Not sure if you are or not...but the fight doesn't do that much for me.

I go back & forth on the thought of him moving up to 200lbs. I like it for his legacy...but I don't believe in Hopkins @ 200lbs nor do I believe in Maskaev...so the fight don't do shit for me.

I entirely and 100% agree with B-Hop that fighting Calzaghe pales in comparison to fighting Maskaev.
    I think that if Hopkins were to take another fight it should be against Calzaghe or Jones Jr., & the latter doesn't really do that much fo rme anymore either...but it would be righting the wrong.

Don't get hung up on the quality of the fighters, it's totally irrelevent, it's the fact that Hopkins could challenge and very possibly win a heavyweight title!
    The quality of fighters is not irrellevant...as I said somewhere else...beat someone like Wlad to impress me & show that your'e up to a legit challenge.

Forget the fact that the heavyweights are S***, this is still a potential legendary achievement in the making if Hopkins takes it.
    It's good for his legacy...but Jones beating Ruiz was more impressive...as was Toney beating him...the only note would be that you'd know for sure that Hopkins wouldn't be juiced.

If he beat Calzaghe it would mean nothing whatsoever to his legacy as Calzaghe's status would be diminished by virtue of losing to Hopkins, 'he just wasn't as good as we thought' would be the cry.
    Disagree. Hopkins would be shutting down the man that was closest to matching his record defenses & also the best at 168lbs.

If Hopkins beats Maskaev it matters not a toss whether Oleg is any good, all that counts is that Hopkins won a world heavyweight title, a feat that in 20 years would have people speculating whether he or Robinson was the greatest middleweight of them all.......
    Agreed. The accomplishment of weight divisions would be great...but Maskaev aint shit...& that is what stands out most with me.

Sorry to be so disagreeable...but I just don't dig on the fight.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Forget the fact that the heavyweights are S***, this is still a potential legendary achievement in the making if Hopkins takes it.

I agree 100%.Couldn't have said it better.

Vargas for president

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

exactly

and heres what im thinking.................................

5-10 years from now, nobodies gonna remember how bad of a state the heavyweight division was when theyre thinking of bernards legecy (assuming he wins )

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Doesn't Maskaev have to fight the winner of Peter-Toney II first anyway? Does anyone really think he'll win that fight? This whole thing just seems pointless. . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Calzache would beat hopkins !

i would and will put money on it if it happens

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Forget the fact that the heavyweights are shit, this is still a potential legendary achievement in the making if Hopkins takes it.

Bloody Hell!!

Is that a good thing?
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Thread Information