Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Augustus says:"step up to the plate and fight me like you say you will" @ D-Hop

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Augustus says:"step up to the plate and fight me like you say you will" @ D-Hop

NEWS FLASH

Augustus rips into Hopkins!
    By Jose Reyes
    Fan favorite Emanuel Augustus is still stumping for a fight with Demetrius Hopkins on the November 25th "HBO After Dark" show at the Dodge Arena in Hidalgo, Texas. "Homeboy be talking about how I need him and he don't need me. We need each other," stated Augustus. "He ain't fought nobody that's on my caliber. Now he be talking about facing Rogelio Castaneda instead of me! Didn't he just mention that he wants to fight me and prove he's the best at 140? Well then step up to the plate and fight me like you say you will. We need each other to showcase ourselves on HBO. Let's give the fans what they want, which is a good matchup in the 140 pound division. Now about him saying that he beat Michael Warrick and that I lost to him so that proves I am an easy fight, well enjoy that victory. But if he thinks because he got an easy victory with Warrick he will get an easy victory with me, he is terribly mistaken. He doesn't want to fight me but he's got to fight me if he wants to give the Hopkins last name a decent piece of honor coming from him. What would Bernard Hopkins do if he was in Demetrius' shoes? I'll tell you what he would do. He would step up and fight me, but I doubt his nephew has an ounce of his blood and would do the same."
    Thursday, November 2 2006
    http://www.fightnews.com/

Talk to me people... We've discussed this matter before.... Who should D-Hop fight next..............
    Is Augustus a step up?
    Wadda' ya think of the fight if it happens?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Augustus says:"step up to the plate and fight me like you say you will" @ D-

Well, yes and no.. It's not technically a step up on paper from his last fight, as the article already states Warrick did beat Augustus.. but Augustus has looked fairly good in his last 5 or 6 fights, seems to be at least taking boxing more seriously now and Im sure he'd come in good condition and give Dhop lots of problems... It would definetly say alot about Hopkins if he could beat Augustus convincingly, not many have. Also stopping him which hasn't happened in years would make a big statement from Dhop. But as far as the risk reward, maybe it isn't a good choice for Hopkins. Depends how confident he is at this stage but I'd like to see the fight happen. If Dhop could land another fight with someone like Witter which was rumoured recently, then I could understand him not bothering with this.. But like Emanuel said he's talking about fighting some nobody instead so hopefully this will come through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Augustus says:"step up to the plate and fight me like you say you will" @ D-Hop

I think Augustas would be interesting and an entertaining fight for the fans . However for Hopkins , its high risk. When fighting clown type fighters, its very hard to look good , even when you win , Hopkins should just ignore this statement. pretend it didn’t happen. and look for a more structured opponent. Just my opinion .

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Augustus says:"step up to the plate and fight me like you say you will" @ D-Hop

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking
    Well, yes and no.. It's not technically a step up on paper from his last fight, as the article already states Warrick did beat Augustus.. but Augustus has looked fairly good in his last 5 or 6 fights, seems to be at least taking boxing more seriously now and Im sure he'd come in good condition and give Dhop lots of problems... It would definetly say alot about Hopkins if he could beat Augustus convincingly, not many have. Also stopping him which hasn't happened in years would make a big statement from Dhop. But as far as the risk reward, maybe it isn't a good choice for Hopkins. Depends how confident he is at this stage but I'd like to see the fight happen. If Dhop could land another fight with someone like Witter which was rumoured recently, then I could understand him not bothering with this.. But like Emanuel said he's talking about fighting some nobody instead so hopefully this will come through.
    Very good points made here p4pking!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lords Gym
    I think Augustus would be interesting and an entertaining fight for the fans . However for Hopkins , its high risk. When fighting clown type fighters, its very hard to look good , even when you win , Hopkins should just ignore this statement. pretend it didn’t happen. and look for a more structured opponent. Just my opinion .
    The thing is D-Hop opened his mouth 1st.
    I agree it's hard to look good against an awkward fighter like Augustus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Augustus won his last 6 fights no matter what the judges and ref's say.

Anyway its a good step up fight for D-Hop. Not sure who to favor.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Starr

Wadda' ya say about the High risk, Low reward factor... ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMicK
    Quote Originally Posted by Starr

Wadda' ya say about the High risk, Low reward factor... ?
    Show's the kind of fighter D-Hop would be. I'd like to see more fighters take the high risk fights so at least you could say he didn't duck anybody. I'd rather see the risky fight with the small reward then the easy fight with the high rewards, there's too many of those floating around boxing nowadays.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Some ones on form today!

I bet your chuffed Augustus got his W against Burton

------

My comments have nothing to do with Demitrius' talent, nor the outcome of the fight....
    But...
    For Demitrius to initiate a war of words then retaliate by not fighting, claiming grandure, shows that he wont be a great fighter.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Augustus is a joke. Beating him means nothing. It would actually be a step backwards for Hopkins to even fight him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Augustus says:"step up to the plate and fight me like you say you will" @ D-

Would be a very good fight IMO. Augustus has a arkward and frustrating style for anyone, but i do think DHop is class from what i have seen. It would be a name for DHop no doubt about it, i hope it comes off.
    DHOP decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well It is 8;45am and I'm still drunk as Fruck from last nite...None the less....If D-hop is running his yap and backing down its hores hite..He needs to man up and back it up..

Screw the risk reward thing...Augustus SEEMS like he is taking thing serious and has an awkward style, all the more reason for the kid to step it up and see if he can adjust to different styles and win

IF he did call out augustus and backed down well thats some WWF stuff right there...

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Hopkins was fighting somebody decent that would be fine but Castaneda. Come on, Augustus is a much better fight than Castaneda, which is why I assume his management won't make the fight.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan
    If Hopkins was fighting somebody decent that would be fine but Castaneda. Come on, Augustus is a much better fight than Castaneda, which is why I assume his management won't make the fight.
    Good point
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

on paper it's a step backwards at this point. doesn't augustus have like 20 losses

Thread Information