Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: who is greater? Thomas Hearns or Aaron Pryor.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default who is greater? Thomas Hearns or Aaron Pryor.

even though Aaron Pryor is regarded as one of the greatest fighters ever, Tommy Hearns fought so many great fighters, yet he maybe does not have the big win which Aaron had. Tommy and Aaron also won their first world titles on the same day. August 2, 1980. Tommy beat Cueves and Aaron beat Cervantes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: who is greater? Thomas Hearns or Aaron Pryor.

Its hard to say, but Hearns did outbox Leonard, dominate Duran(including a devastating ko), and hurt Hagler during their fight... he was good, but so was Pryor who was a force to be reckoned with... their amateur fight was amazing, and Aaron won that pretty clearly IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pryor

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

HEARNS

Pryor was great, but he didn't fight the same kind of legends that Hearns did, and the one time he did fight a great fighter there will always be the contraversy that comes with it... Besides beating Arguello at that point was no more of a feat than Hearns beating Duran, not to mention his achievements aside from that which Pryor can't match... For anyone who hasn't seen their amatuer fight it's a good one, and should still be on youtube.. IMO Hearns would have killed him in the pros once he grew into his power... In the amatuers, namely this fight, Hearns fought off the back foot alot more, he didn't have anywhere near the firepower he did as a pro and couldn't keep Pryor off of him.. He definetly lost clearly, but at the same time didn't have any trouble lining up and landing his right hand.. He just didn't have the pop then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He also beat another BRILLIANT fighter in Antonio Cervantes!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thomas Hearns is greater hands down. Pryor could have been in the Hearns category had he kept on fighting. I am not sure why this was asked. Hearns had the longer career.
    Pryor-Arguello,Cervantes
    Hearns-Cueves,Leonard(2 times),Benitez,Duran,Hagler,Barkley,Hill-Welt-Cruiser

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hearns vs. Pryor in the amatuers was Hearns 17 years old or so and Pryor 20 years old. Would have been great to see them fight as professionals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by EverlastReyes
    Thomas Hearns is greater hands down. Pryor could have been in the Hearns category had he kept on fighting. I am not sure why this was asked. Hearns had the longer career.
    Pryor-Arguello,Cervantes
    Pryor fought Arguello twice too. Anyway if it wasn't for cocaine Pryor never would have lost a fight and would have done more. And Hearns lost to Leonard and Hagler and Barkley and did he lose to Virgil Hill? I forget.

Pryor was in Hearns' category and surpassed to an extent. Pryor was something super natural.

He was trained by Manny Stewart too for the Arguello rematch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hearns beat Virgil Hill when Hill had 10 title defenses and he beat Cueves when Cueves had 10 title defenses, and he beat Wilfred Benitez when Wilfred had only one loss to Leonard. Knocked out Duran. ... My opinion is that Hearns is greater.. Just on the amount of great fighters he fought. Saying had Pryor not gotten into cocaine is not saying he is greater than Hearns. There are guys out there now who would have been great fighters but got into cocaine before even getting into the pros. Pryor is more of a case where we say he beat Arguello twice and Cervantes and look how much he could have done. Hearns is a case where he did fight everyone and we have those fights to rate him. We have more to rate Hearns by than Pryor. Potential wise Pryor would have had a great career had he just stayed clean. I would have loved to see him fight and beat Mancini. Rosario/Pryor would have been interesting. Duran/Pryor? I think Roberto takes Pryor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thomas hearns wins this by the length of ron jeremy's penis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by EverlastReyes
    Pryor-Arguello,Cervantes
    welcome on board! It is true what you say IMO if Pryor had faught Duran, Leonard and Hagler he would of had more looses on his record then what he retired with. Leonard would UD him, Duran would be a WAR but i give the edge to Roberto and Hagler would be too big for Pryor and may even stop him late on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Leonard didn't want to fight Pryor for whatever reason. And he was a Lightweight how was he going to fight Hagler?

I like Aaron Pryor from what I've seen on the TV whether he could have beaten Hearns. I think so. He would be able to take Hearns's punches, but would Hearns take his?
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pryor was not known to have that great a chin, with Arguello he seemed to improve his chin, although remember that Arguello was at 140 pounds here. If this fight were a 130 pound Arguello vs Pryor, Arguello would have won.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LegendBoxing65
    Pryor was not known to have that great a chin, with Arguello he seemed to improve his chin, although remember that Arguello was at 140 pounds here. If this fight were a 130 pound Arguello vs Pryor, Arguello would have won.
    Same advantages for Arguello was there for Pryor, hit harder and was faster. Same fight basically and Pryor would have won it.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am not sure I see that. Pryor was good and he beat Arguello in 140 and really beat him up, but his ability to take the punches were what kept him in that fight. He shouldn't have been able to absorb those right hands. At 130 I doubt he would have. Arguello lost a little power moving up to 135 and then alot to 140. I remember seeing Arguello in a comeback in the mid 80s where he fought Billy Costello. Maybe I am wrong. I think he knocked out Costello in 4, and then never fought again.

Thread Information