User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Surprise, surprise Hopkins fights on

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default Surprise, surprise Hopkins fights on

By Richard Fletcher: Bernard Hopkins has had three great wins in the last five years and now seems to be hunting another one. Before two of them, he was the underdog, against Felix Trinidad and Antonio Tarver. In the other, against Oscar de la Hoya, he was in against a multi-weight champ who had stepped up one division too far.

Now, at the age of 41, is Hopkins about to make an even bigger mistake instead of bowing out on a high?

Hopkins has confirmed that he is officially out of retirement and that boxing needs him. It can only mean one thing: that the Executioner really does want to bring his axe down on one of the four heavyweight champions.

full article here...
    http://secondsout.com/news/index.cfm?ccs=534&cs=20847

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Surprise, surprise Hopkins fights on

Toney Hopkins would be nice. I'd rather see that than I would Hopkins Maskaev...I'd actually Bernard just stick to promoting.

I honestly don't want to see my guy KTFO.

Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

this just keeps happening, great fighters just can't retire on a high they have to push it untill they get hurt and beat up

i hope he doesn't fight again, i'd hate to see him lose

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If he can still fight let him fight. They do have that grading system and improved medical tests.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It would be really interesting to see Hopkins fight for a heavyweight belt, but i just havent got good vibes about him fighting on, maybe he should just call it a day and enjoy the money he has earnt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cockey cockney
    It would be really interesting to see Hopkins fight for a heavyweight belt, but i just havent got good vibes about him fighting on, maybe he should just call it a day and enjoy the money he has earnt.
    I'd have to say he has a legit shot at a heavyweight belt, who doesn't?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher136
    Yeah he probably does, but IMO if he goes up and wins it will just show how poor the heavyweight division is right now rather then how good a fighter Bernard is, he has NOTHING to prove.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah he probably does, but IMO if he goes up and wins it will just show how poor the heavyweight division is right now rather then how good a fighter Bernard is, he has NOTHING to prove.
    He might be comparing himself and his legacy to the the other two standout American middleweight stars of the last 15 years James Toney and Roy Jones Jr. He is probably eaten up by the fact that they both challenged for and won a heavyweight crown so in that sense he probably does feel he has something to prove.

Certainly moving from 160 to 175 and winning a title is not nearly as impressive as moving from 160 to full blown heavyweight no matter who the opponent is.

If Bernard did win a heavyweight title it would have a massive positive impact on his long term legacy, if he loses it probably won't affect it so I say go for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo
    He might be comparing himself and his legacy to the the other two standout American middleweight stars of the last 15 years James Toney and Roy Jones Jr. He is probably eaten up by the fact that they both challenged for and won a heavyweight crown so in that sense he probably does feel he has something to prove.

Certainly moving from 160 to 175 and winning a title is not nearly as impressive as moving from 160 to full blown heavyweight no matter who the opponent is.

If Bernard did win a heavyweight title it would have a massive positive impact on his long term legacy, if he loses it probably won't affect it so I say go for it.
    I can see where your coming from actaully, sod it lol go for it Bernard!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Bhop/Toney would be a good fight. I dont think Toney would have the stamina to keep up with Hopkins in the latter rounds. I would be shocked if there was a KD by either fighter, but it would be a classic tactical battle.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. --Mahatma Gandhi

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo

I can see where your coming from actaully, sod it lol go for it Bernard!
    Thats the spirit

Besides, i remember when B-Hop first spoke about fighting Maskaev.
    It was on the whole "USA regaining what the Commies took from them while wearing stars n stripes trunks ala Apollo Creed" tip.

Its a bit silly, but it would sell very well.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TyBuff
    I think Bhop/Toney would be a good fight.  I dont think Toney would have the stamina to keep up with Hopkins in the latter rounds.  I would be shocked if there was a KD by either fighter, but it would be a classic tactical battle.
    agreed wouldnt be ko or kd if they fought i dont think either fighter has ever been stopped in there pro career both have got good chins and it would be great tactical battle like u say

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

a toney hopkins fight would be awesome. a maskaev would be ok. he shouldnt fight valuev or wlad, i dont like to admit it but they would own hopkins because of their size and power

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ds91
    a toney hopkins fight would be awesome. a maskaev would be ok. he shouldnt fight valuev or wlad, i dont like to admit it but they would own hopkins because of their size and power
    To be honest, even for all his size and everthing i actaully think Valuev is SHOCKING, and Bernard even about 5 foot smaller could score enough points just hitting his body, is such his technical ability over Valuev's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm a huge Hopkins fan but, after Hopkins wins the heavyweight belt, then retires again what will happen. Unification of all the belts by Vitali Klitschco! Then he will have to come out of retirement again and fight him.

Thread Information