Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Win, lose, or draw this weekend...will you ever respect Ronald "Winky" Wright?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Win, lose, or draw this weekend...will you ever respect Ronald "Winky" Wright?

Will Winky get the respect that he deserves if he defeats Quartey?

Somehow I doubt it...but I'd like to get some answers...here's why I ask.

#1: Winky's pretty much got a secure HOF career on line right now.
    #2: Winky went toe to toe with Vargas & stayed on his feet to lose a VERY controversial decision...this is Vargas before getting knocked out by Oscar & Tito...& keep in mind that he dropped both Oscar & Tito.
    #3: Winky bested Mosley twice.
    #4: Winky moved up to middleweight & humiliated knockout artist Tito Trinidad...big time.
    #5: Winky handled Soliman who hadn't been beaten so soundly in 19 fights.
    #6: Winky again...went toe to toe and drew with Taylor after Taylor defeated Hopkins twice.

Granted...both of the statements I just made...I don't buy.
    Wright won & Hopkins won the first...but that's just my opinion.

Anywho...back to my point.

#7: Win, lose, or draw Winky is taking on gutty Ike Quartey...another formidable opponent.
    #8: Wright's running on 54 fights with 50 wins, 25 ko's, 3 losses & 1 draw.

Whether Wright's style pleases you or not...he's effective & he's a wet dream for purists & lovers of tactical boxing. I'm not asking the majority of you whether you like Wright or not...I pretty much know that the majority does not find Wright appealing...I'm asking if as a boxing fan...do you & will you respect him?

So...will you respect him?
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Win, lose, or draw this weekend...will you ever respect Ronald "Winky" Wright?

Not really, He is a crying bitch.
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Win, lose, or draw this weekend...will you ever respect Ronald "Winky" Wright?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDukeof74
    Not really, He is a crying bitch.
    Oh gotdam. :P
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

absolutely, hes one of the 3 best fighters on the planet imo (as well as most peoples ) so how could you not repect his fight game?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Win, lose, or draw this weekend...will you ever respect Ronald "Winky" Wrigh

I think the quesiton you are asking Wack, is if Quartey is going to add that much to the resume of Wright. As with all great fighters, one fight does not make or break his legacy. However, I don't think this fight will add much to Wright's legacy considering how great Wright's record is. Most people don't give Ike much of a chance at all....look at the odds.
    I would like to point out that Quartey should given more credit than his record indicates. I would go as far as to say Quartey has the most unrepresentative record in boxing today considering his close decisions and some outright robberies.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Win, lose, or draw this weekend...will you ever respect Ronald "Winky" Wrigh

Quote Originally Posted by boozeboxer
    I think the quesiton you are asking Wack, is if Quartey is going to add that much to the resume of Wright. As with all great fighters, one fight does not make or break his legacy. However, I don't think this fight will add much to Wright's legacy considering how great Wright's record is. Most people don't give Ike much of a chance at all....look at the odds.

I would like to point out that Quartey should given more credit than his record indicates. I would go as far as to say Quartey has the most unrepresentative record in boxing today considering his close decisions and some outright robberies.
    Agreed...on all of the above...but not to be a smart ass...how does beating Ike (if he does) not speak for Wright's record even more?

As far as robberies go...I think that Ike was def robbed against Forrest...but not Oscar as many think.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Of course it speaks more of Wright's legacy. Just not that much more. I'm just saying that a win against Quartey for Wright is not nearly as impressive for him (or JT or B-Hop) as it would be for fighters with less of a resume. Still beating Ike adds a notch in his belt for sure. cc wack on the discussion.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boozeboxer
    Of course it speaks more of Wright's legacy. Just not that much more. I'm just saying that a win against Quartey for Wright is not nearly as impressive for him (or JT or B-Hop) as it would be for fighters with less of a resume. Still beating Ike adds a notch in his belt for sure. cc wack on the discussion.
    Yea that's almost exactly how I see it, have a CC. Winky is an amazing fighter and I already give him all the credit in the world.. I have him a clear 2nd p4p, I disagree strongly with anyone who has Manny Pac ahead of him.. Like you say booze, Quartey is simply another notch in his belt, not the best name he will have faced, but a strong determined contender and world class athlete nonetheless. Quartey has never decisvely lost a fight.. And
    I don't see anyone providing a decent arguement against this.. Like Wacko said, he feels Oscar won their fight, but even still I doubt he would call it a convincing win, and if so it was still certainly razor thin. As far as whether this will gain newfound respect for WRight among those who aren't already big fans, I kind of doubt it, but more then anything it's due to the fact that people already realize Wright is a great fighter and simply don't enjoy watching him, and for the fact that Quatey has never fought at 160... But then, Wright only has 1 fight there... Basically, it won't change much because those who already recognize Wright for the fighter he is will realize that this is just another example of his greatness, and those who don't appreciate him will say Quartey was a welterweight who hasn't shone in recent years.. I personally give Ike very little chance to win this fight, so in a way, a Wright victory won't change my opinion at all... However, should Winky dominate this fight impressivly, I think many who call Pacman #2 p4p atm may reconsider..

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cc my thoughts exactly.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Favorite fighter outside of Jeff Lacy. Of course I do. I mean he fought all over the world and never got in title shot in seemingly forever, but he still continues to be one of the most consistent fighters in all of boxing.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat
    Favorite fighter outside of Jeff Lacy. Of course I do. I mean he fought all over the world and never got in title shot in seemingly forever, but he still continues to be one of the most consistent fighters in all of boxing.
    I owe you a few CC's.... good to see you back on the forum again.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    #2: Winky went toe to toe with Vargas & stayed on his feet to lose a VERY controversial decision...this is Vargas before getting knocked out by Oscar & Tito...& keep in mind that he dropped both Oscar& Tito.
    Either:
    A) I didn't see the re-match.
    B) You must have been REALLY fwocked up that night to have seen this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is respect giving Winky props for an accomplished career?
    If that's so, then I respect the man a lot. This fight is a gimme though.
    I have a feeling Winky's next fight will be big. I also feel Winky didn't take
    the title in the last 2 rounds against Jermain. I know it's hard to do that,
    but it's what a champion is supposed to do. I don't like Winky's defense,
    I've seen him take many blows that were real
    even thought he "blocked" them his head still took the impact. He takes a
    head on full power straight right without even moving his head, with only
    his forearms in the way, which have been split sometimes. He sometimes
    sticks to his Jab ONLY and now and then remembers to throw a straight left,
    or maybe even an uppercut.

With all those defficencies, he's still one of the best. His style is boring though.
    The Soliman fight was entertaining, but that was because Sam was nuts. ha
    His purist fans, I hear a lot of them, but I hear none of them going to his fights. heheh

I respect Winky and I've read some good articles arguing for his number one spot p4p.
    The divisions lower than middleweight I think highly of and I have many reasons, but
    they will all be considered "hatin'" heheh.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Reluctantly.

Hope this helps.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I already respect Winky Wright.

I don't know why he has to fight Quartey or not. I wanted a Forrest rematch for Ike. If and when Wright beats him I dont want to see Quartey retire

Thread Information