Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Help with weight gain please

A bit of advice please fellas

In the past 2 weeks I have put on 10lbs in weight. I am only eating around 2000 calories a day
    Can this be that the extra weight is muscle rather than fat??

I am uncertain because I don't do much weights work

My daily routine (5 days a weeks)......

Chest press - 4 sets of 12 50KG

Peck Dec k - 4 sets of 12 50KG

ABS machine - 5 sets of 12 50KG

Is this enopugh to be bulding muscle and putting on weight like this?

Cheers
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Help with weight gain please

Its hard to say obviously without looking at before and after pics. Use the mirror as a guide rather than the scales. It can depend on the reliability of the scales and also depend on the time of day at which you was weighed. For instance, i tend to be around 5/6 lbs heavier at night then i am first thing on a morning.

2000 cals a day doens't seem sufficient enough to be packing on that much weight so i would suggest that a lot of it probably is 'water weight'.

As for your routine i would say mix it up a little.
    If your only primarily training your abs and chest, then its highly unlikely that you have added 10lbs of muscle to these two muscle groups over the last few weeks. Also it seems like your doing 40 sets per week on your chest. This is far too much and extremely counter-productive as you are over-training.

If your going to be training 5 days a week you might as well (if possible) incorparate a split routine where you train all your major bodyparts (back, bi's/tri's, shoulders, chest and legs) once per week. Do between 9-12 sets per bodypart per week. This allows for better recouperation from all the lifting. Train your abs 3 times per week.

Hope this helps.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

its imposible to put on 10 lbs of muscle in 2 weeks with the weights u are doing, unless ur on steroids? ....otherwise its probably a bit of fat or maybe u had a lot of liquids before u weighed urself?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ono
    Its hard to say obviously without looking at before and after pics. Use the mirror as a guide rather than the scales. It can depend on the reliability of the scales and also depend on the time of day at which you was weighed. For instance, i tend to be around 5/6 lbs heavier at night then i am first thing on a morning.

2000 cals a day doens't seem sufficient enough to be packing on that much weight so i would suggest that a lot of it probably is 'water weight'.

As for your routine i would say mix it up a little.
    If your only primarily training your abs and chest, then its highly unlikely that you have added 10lbs of muscle to these two muscle groups over the last few weeks. Also it seems like your doing 40 sets per week on your chest. This is far too much and extremely counter-productive as you are over-training.

If your going to be training 5 days a week you might as well (if possible) incorparate a split routine where you train all your major bodyparts (back, bi's/tri's, shoulders, chest and legs) once per week. Do between 9-12 sets per bodypart per week. This allows for better recouperation from all the lifting. Train your abs 3 times per week.

Hope this helps.
    Top man - cheers for the advice

I am only working Chest and Abs coz there are a bit flabby, so trying to tone up
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by stavros693000
    its imposible to put on 10 lbs of muscle in 2 weeks with the weights u are doing, unless ur on steroids? ....otherwise its probably a bit of fat or maybe u had a lot of liquids before u weighed urself?
    Nah I'm not on steroids

...and are you calling me fat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H

In the past 2 weeks I have put on 10lbs in weight. I am only eating around 2000 calories a day

Cheers
    if u want to build muscle,u have to go heavy weights,less reps and eat like a horse!for eg:chest press,do 1st set 12 reps at 50kg and then second set add more weights, 60 kg and try for 10 reps,and so on,so every set u do ,keep making the weights heavier each time and pump out as much reps as u can and when it starts to get to painfull,thats when u push urself harder...but its no good eating 2000calories a day if more muscle is what u want? sh!t loads of protien for muscle growth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nah I'm not on steroids

not at all fatty nothing wrong with a full figured man...more cushion for the pushin

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cheers
    if u want to build muscle,u have to go heavy weights,less reps and eat like a horse!for eg:chest press,do 1st set 12 reps at 50kg and then second set add more weights, 60 kg and try for 10 reps,and so on,so every set u do ,keep making the weights heavier each time and pump out as much reps as u can and when it starts to get to painfull,thats when u push urself harder...but its no good eating 2000calories a day if more muscle is what u want? sh!t loads of protien for muscle growth
    Cheers bud - nah I'm not trying to build muscle, just tone up a bit.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nah I'm not on steroids

not at all fatty nothing wrong with a full figured man...more cushion for the pushin
    Hahahaha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Are you doing any cardio work? that's the best way to tone up and get rid of some flab rather than targeting particular muscle groups. Your genetics decide where on your body fat tends to accumalate, i.e. some people will have flabby legs or some with flabby stomachs. You need to burn off the total fat in your body by burning more calories throughout your day than you are taking.
    Hope this makes some sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Arg, you said the word tone. OK here we go.
    Firstly, you cannot "tone" a muscle. The muscle either shrinks, or it grows. Nothing else can happen to it, at all. Shape is determined by genetics and size is determined by outside factors.
    So, you want your chest to look bigger? STAY AWAY FROM THE PEC DECK. Its an unnatural movement for a start, and a bench press is all you need to do. Maybe some Dips to supplement, an awesome exercise.
    Anyways, for size, try and do a weight that will keep you to a rep/set range of 3 sets of 8 reps. Any higher than 12 reps and your going for muscular endurance, any lower and your going for strength.

So say, go to the gym
    Do 3x8 Bench press (and make sure its not the machine, the actual free weights will be a lot better)
    Then 3x8 dips (depending how many you can do)
    Good chest workout there.

Eat lots of protein and carbs to go with your cardio and you will see results.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jamoie
    Arg, you said the word tone. OK here we go.
    Firstly, you cannot "tone" a muscle. The muscle either shrinks, or it grows. Nothing else can happen to it, at all. Shape is determined by genetics and size is determined by outside factors.
    So, you want your chest to look bigger? STAY AWAY FROM THE PEC DECK. Its an unnatural movement for a start, and a bench press is all you need to do. Maybe some Dips to supplement, an awesome exercise.
    Anyways, for size, try and do a weight that will keep you to a rep/set range of 3 sets of 8 reps. Any higher than 12 reps and your going for muscular endurance, any lower and your going for strength.

So say, go to the gym
    Do 3x8 Bench press (and make sure its not the machine, the actual free weights will be a lot better)
    Then 3x8 dips (depending how many you can do)
    Good chest workout there.

Eat lots of protein and carbs to go with your cardio and you will see results.
    Thanks for the info buddy

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bomp
    Are you doing any cardio work? that's the best way to tone up and get rid of some flab rather than targeting particular muscle groups. Your genetics decide where on your body fat tends to accumalate, i.e. some people will have flabby legs or some with flabby stomachs. You need to burn off the total fat in your body by burning more calories throughout your day than you are taking.
    Hope this makes some sense.
    Cheers m8

Yeh I am doing 30 minutes on the cross trainer, Random, level 12 - 75-80 reps a min speed
    and 15 minutes run on 10k/hours speed

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[quote=Jamoie ]
    Arg, you said the word tone.quote]

When do you weigh yourself Big H? it could be food and water in your stomach, bodily fluids... shite... you probably haven't gained 10lb of actual mass.

It could be muscle, it could be fat... no one for me to tell from here

Always found a mirror a better indicator then scales personally Didn't you loose a lot of weight really quickly a few weeks back? It could be that your metabolism is now taking on more calories if you've not been eating a lot and training loads recently.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[quote=AdamGB ]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamoie
    Arg, you said the word tone.quote]

When do you weigh yourself Big H? it could be food and water in your stomach, bodily fluids... shite... you probably haven't gained 10lb of actual mass.

It could be muscle, it could be fat... no one for me to tell from here

Always found a mirror a better indicator then scales personally Didn't you loose a lot of weight really quickly a few weeks back? It could be that your metabolism is now taking on more calories if you've not been eating a lot and training loads recently.
    Could be right mate - yeh lost over 7 stone, so maybe my body is storing lots of fat now

Thread Information