Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Better Defense? WINKY WRIGHT or FLOYD MAYWEATHER jr.???

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Better Defense? WINKY WRIGHT or FLOYD MAYWEATHER jr.???

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    Who has the better defense? It depends what you are looking at in your defense.

counter punching oppertunities: Both of them create alot of counter punching oppertunities, but Mayweather's defense allows him to come back with way harder punches while Winky has to keep his punches short because he may have to go on the defensive right after throwing a punch. ADV:Mayweather Jr.

Getting Hit: Both of them almost never get hit, and its usual to see an opponent hit them more than 30%. However Mayweather has had consistantly lower % of being hit than Winky, but Mayweather gets hit on the chin while Winky is only ever hit on the side of the head or on the gloves. ADV neither

Defending the body: Winky wins this because Mayweather sometimes allows his opponent to hit him to the body in order to get a clean shot to the opponents head while Winky almost blocks everything with his elbows. ADV:Winky

Misconceptions: That Mayweather like RJJ has a defensive style that will erode as he grows older... WRONG. His defensive style only realize on his speed to a degree. He has seen so much in the ring he knows what comming before it happens which takes out alot of the reflexes needed to avoid being hit. Like Toney he slips and is a great inside fighter which was RJJ's biggest problem because he didn't fight well on the inside, and was totally reliant on power and reflexes to fight off the ropes. Floyd is a great defensive fighter because he is so good with that shoulder. Winky is a great defensive fighter who seems to take a beating every fight, but though his defensively style causes him to get semi hit more so than the Floyd Mayweather's of the world he still not only gets the padding of his glove, but he moves his cleverly in synchronization with the punches comming in so that they do the least possible damage. He has one of the best techniques in take a punch and diminishing its power... I love watching it.

Verdict: In my mind they both have defenses up there with the likes of Pernell Whitaker. The only difference between these two that favor me toward Mayweather is that he gets hit less, and he makes transition between defense and offense more fully, and that his defensively style allows him follow through with punches, and even when Winky used to move he was still hit more than Mayweather who uses such good footwork and speed to evade opponents.
    CC. I agree with most of this. Mayweather's style does allow him to be in such good position to counter. Better than Winky's IMO.

And Floyd covers the body very well, not that Winky doesn't, but Floyd blocks a lot with his arms.

And definitely agree about Floyd having a better technical defense than Roy, Floyd will still be effective even as he slows down a bit. RJ's worked when he was prime but its not a style built for longevity like Hopkins' or Toney's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who has the better defense? It depends what you are looking at in your defense.

counter punching oppertunities: Both of them create alot of counter punching oppertunities, but Mayweather's defense allows him to come back with way harder punches while Winky has to keep his punches short because he may have to go on the defensive right after throwing a punch. ADV:Mayweather Jr.

Getting Hit: Both of them almost never get hit, and its usual to see an opponent hit them more than 30%. However Mayweather has had consistantly lower % of being hit than Winky, but Mayweather gets hit on the chin while Winky is only ever hit on the side of the head or on the gloves. ADV neither

Defending the body: Winky wins this because Mayweather sometimes allows his opponent to hit him to the body in order to get a clean shot to the opponents head while Winky almost blocks everything with his elbows. ADV:Winky

Misconceptions: That Mayweather like RJJ has a defensive style that will erode as he grows older... WRONG. His defensive style only realize on his speed to a degree. He has seen so much in the ring he knows what comming before it happens which takes out alot of the reflexes needed to avoid being hit. Like Toney he slips and is a great inside fighter which was RJJ's biggest problem because he didn't fight well on the inside, and was totally reliant on power and reflexes to fight off the ropes. Floyd is a great defensive fighter because he is so good with that shoulder. Winky is a great defensive fighter who seems to take a beating every fight, but though his defensively style causes him to get semi hit more so than the Floyd Mayweather's of the world he still not only gets the padding of his glove, but he moves his cleverly in synchronization with the punches comming in so that they do the least possible damage. He has one of the best techniques in take a punch and diminishing its power... I love watching it.

Verdict: In my mind they both have defenses up there with the likes of Pernell Whitaker. The only difference between these two that favor me toward Mayweather is that he gets hit less, and he makes transition between defense and offense more fully, and that his defensively style allows him follow through with punches, and even when Winky used to move he was still hit more than Mayweather who uses such good footwork and speed to evade opponents.
    Great points Taeth especially how Mayweather transitiond from defense to offense that is important to countering not just with a pitter patter but with clean effective shots... So an important part of Floyds offense is essentially the openings that are created from his defense and its a beautiful thing to watch....

to you some fine points brutha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Misconceptions: That Mayweather like RJJ has a defensive style that will erode as he grows older... WRONG. His defensive style only realize on his speed to a degree.
    Roy cant hold a candle to Floyds defense even in his prime. Roy ALWAYS relied on superior athleticism, power, speed and reflexes to dominate his opponents then he relied on boxing fundamentals 2nd, if you were gonna teach a young fighter the fundamentals and text book Technique you WOULD NOT put in a Roy Jones video.. Roy was Virtuoso because of his God Given talent and Physical superiority.....

Floyd on the other hand is ABsolutely textbook and has nearly the physical tools that Roy had just on a smaller scale because of the lighterweight BUT he relies on technique which is offensively and defensively textbook..

Polished solid Fundamental Technique 1st

outstanding athleticism 2nd..

Thats why Floyd will never fall of the table as drastically as Roy did

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JT Rock

Misconceptions: That Mayweather like RJJ has a defensive style that will erode as he grows older... WRONG. His defensive style only realize on his speed to a degree.
    Roy cant hold a candle to Floyds defense even in his prime. Roy ALWAYS relied on superior athleticism, power, speed and reflexes to dominate his opponents then he relied on boxing fundamentals 2nd, if you were gonna teach a young fighter the fundamentals and text book Technique you WOULD NOT put in a Roy Jones video.. Roy was Virtuoso because of his God Given talent and Physical superiority.....

Floyd on the other hand is ABsolutely textbook and has nearly the physical tools that Roy had just on a smaller scale because of the lighterweight BUT he relies on technique which is offensively and defensively textbook..

Polished solid Fundamental Technique 1st

outstanding athleticism 2nd..

Thats why Floyd will never fall of the table as drastically as Roy did
    very good post bro thats exactly my thoughts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's not an easy question to answer because they both have totally different defensive styles. PBF defends going backwards most of the time and he's occasionally in the pocket lately and Winky would make you believe he's a power puncher if you didn't know any better the way he always pressing forward. I gotta go with Wink because he's always right there and has to deal with alot more incoming fire.
    Francisco "The Wizard" Palacios
    WBA Fedelatin Champ -WBC #1 Contender
    21-1* (13 K.O.s) Cruiserweight

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo
    Right now it has to be Mayweather. I don't understand the logic of dismissing Mayweather's speed. Speed is part of his defense and right now he's fast. He might slow in 3 years time and then not have as good a defense but right now he's clearly got the better defense.

Winky is getting increasingly flat footed these days. In his last 3 fights he probably got hit more than any other fights in his career.

Floyd's defense is better.
    Exactly Bilbs great point... Just like your defense is effective of biting ankles and Large ogres in the ballz HAHA!! so how does a Hobbit celebrate Christmas anyway LOL!!!
    Thanks JT, returned buddy.

Actually us hobbits don't celebrate christmas at all, the man you call Christ never came to our world, instead we got sent Radaghast the Brown, but he was more interested in saving animals than men so they sent us Saruman, and well he turned to the dark side so we got our true messiah Gandalf the Grey.

Just like your Christ he stood face to face with evil and died to save others, including my little nephew Frodo.

Then after a period deep in the bowels of the earth he rose again and became Gandalf the White.

Trouble is, just like your Christ, he didn't like the rest of us having much fun, and told me I had to give up my ring.

Unfotunately though unlike your Christ he can't promise eternal life, (although my fucking little ring did- the kunt) but he does promise to put on a good firework display.

More unfortunately still as Guy Fawkes wasn't from our world either we don't really have a need for fireworks so Gandalf is pretty pointless as a saviour.

And of course all of this says nothing about the rumours of his homesexuality.

To be honest, I now wish I'd giving him the finger instead of my ring and told him to stick his stories of eternal darkness and the destruction of my own little ring being absolutely essential for salvation to all of mankind.

Looking back I should have said to him 'Gandalf, you old senile wanker I'm a hobbit not a man, I couldn't give a tuppeny fuck about the salvation of mankind. You want a ring? Well kiss this one you a-hole .

Then I could have turned myself invisible, headbutted his ballbags and hotfooted it to Buckland.

I regret it every waking day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People will Down Ike Ibeabuchi and say he wasnt this and that and Lewis, Tyson, Holyfield would have exposed him Blah, Blah...

I was high on Ike because he understood the fundamentals of the game... If you watch him he had a excellent defense which was good on the inside and outside and to me when you have a fighter that has a firm understanding of the basics and can apply them, the skys the limit couple that with his workrate, power, handspeed, chin and ring generalship now you can see why I had alot of stock in him to be sucessful

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Right now it has to be Mayweather. I don't understand the logic of dismissing Mayweather's speed. Speed is part of his defense and right now he's fast. He might slow in 3 years time and then not have as good a defense but right now he's clearly got the better defense.

Winky is getting increasingly flat footed these days. In his last 3 fights he probably got hit more than any other fights in his career.

Floyd's defense is better.
    Exactly Bilbs great point... Just like your defense is effective of biting ankles and Large ogres in the ballz HAHA!! so how does a Hobbit celebrate Christmas anyway LOL!!!
    Thanks JT, returned buddy.

Actually us hobbits don't celebrate christmas at all, the man you call Christ never came to our world, instead we got sent Radaghast the Brown, but he was more interested in saving animals than men so they sent us Saruman, and well he turned to the dark side so we got our true messiah Gandalf the Grey.

Just like your Christ he stood face to face with evil and died to save others, including my little nephew Frodo.

Then after a period deep in the bowels of the earth he rose again and became Gandalf the White.

Trouble is, just like your Christ, he didn't like the rest of us having much fun, and told me I had to give up my ring.

Unfotunately though unlike your Christ he can't promise eternal life, (although my F****** little ring did- the kunt) but he does promise to put on a good firework display.

More unfortunately still as Guy Fawkes wasn't from our world either we don't really have a need for fireworks so Gandalf is pretty pointless as a saviour.

And of course all of this says nothing about the rumours of his homesexuality.

To be honest, I now wish I'd giving him the finger instead of my ring and told him to stick his stories of eternal darkness and the destruction of my own little ring being absolutely essential for salvation to all of mankind.

Looking back I should have said to him 'Gandalf, you old senile wanker I'm a hobbit not a man, I couldn't give a tuppeny F*** about the salvation of mankind. You want a ring? Well kiss this one you a-hole .

Then I could have turned myself invisible, headbutted his ballbags and hotfooted it to Buckland.

I regret it every waking day.

HAHA!! I love getting you all wound up and on a tagent... Good stuff Brutha

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Flyod has good technique, Also he uses the others guys punches to give him balance shoulders to feet. You dont see a lot of it nowadays.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People will Down Ike Ibeabuchi and say he wasnt this and that and Lewis, Tyson, Holyfield would have exposed him Blah, Blah...

I was high on Ike because he understood the fundamentals of the game... If you watch him he had a excellent defense which was good on the inside and outside and to me when you have a fighter that has a firm understanding of the basics and can apply them, the skys the limit couple that with his workrate, power, handspeed, chin and ring generalship now you can see why I had alot of stock in him to be sucessful
    I think Ike is a great fighter, and he didn't just overcome Byrd with power... he was countering and landing lead rights... He was a great fighter IMO.

IN fact I've just realized I've called him a great fighter twice in about two sentences and now a third.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Another question is who gets punished more? I think I would rather be Mayweather in the ring than Winky because Winky still takes hooks to the side of the head more quite a bit. Mayweather it seems like he never really gets hit when you watch the fights and almost never by a clean punch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Another question is who gets punished more? I think I would rather be Mayweather in the ring than Winky because Winky still takes hooks to the side of the head more quite a bit. Mayweather it seems like he never really gets hit when you watch the fights and almost never by a clean punch.
    He got hit with some good clean punches in the Judah fight, but not alot though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To me I love the Philly Shell of Mayweather...I think he is poetry in motion with his defense...The shoulder Rolls and faints and Footwork are outstanding.. I love this topic and to me defense is the most important.. In any sport Boxing, MMA, Football, Baseball.. I love the Defensive side of it and see the value in it more so than the offensive side.. You cant win having a shitty offense and a Shitty defense, However you can have a mediocre offense and a supberb defense and dominate and stay at the top... When I spar I am defense 1st and I feel more comfortable countering same as my grappling I rather have someone commit to a takedown or a move and counter from there.. it keeps me in a relaxed frame of mind and better prepared to handle whatever comes my way including adversity..

I love em Both and Winky and Floyd's defense is extremely effective and is tailor made for there attributes and Style.. Winky has seemingly freakish long arms so when he has the guard up his whole front from head to belt line are covered so he deflects the majority of shots coming down the pipe..

I prefer Floyds defense at this point in time cause its unorthodox and more versatile which makes countering easier and and has a better xcitement factor since mayweather looks like a ghost in there he probably has the best Philly shell I have ever seen couple that with his footwork and its like trying to steal the wheels off a car thats going 25mph virtually Impossible just like hitting Floyd with a set bona fide power shot ..

I love this topic to you little Bro
    Although I dislike Mayweather as an individual, I certainly have to give him his props as only a fool would say that mayweather won't go down as an all time great. I do think that Mayweather's superior speed and footwork make him an outstanding defensive fighter. But when comparing him to Winky, it's like comparing apples and oranges.
    Mayweather has always had the more fan friendly style with his bolts of impressive speed and punching power. Winky was a little known craftsman who should have made it to the world stage a lot sooner. I think what turned people off from Winky was that he was never a KO artist. However, his defensive skills are impeccable and he is a great counter puncher. The Felix Trinidad bout was an absolute BOXING CLINIC! Even against Hopkins, I've never seen a fighter so lopsidedly dominate in route to winning arguably every round of the fight.
    I think Winky is the best defensive fighter out there period, with Toney coming in a close second.
    "et ignotas animum dimittit in artes naturamque nouat" Ovid's Metamorphoses

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm a huge fan of both fighters...& for me...it's a toss up...but in two different ways.

In the end, for me, it's Floyd with the slight advantage here. Floyd is better than Wright because he is so damned awkward. He uses his whole upper body as a defensive weapon. Rolls his shoulders, slips shots, & so on & so on. When he rolls out or away from a combination he's automatically in line to throw combinations where Wright is not.

Conventionally, Wright is better. Wright uses his forearms & peek-a-boo's with his jab. Hiding behind an almost unpenetrable set of forearms, Wright can shoot his jab straight down the pipe & right into line of sight for most fighters & that throws them completely off game.

I still say Floyd is better...just in a different way...because honeslty...I think & have stated that Wright is the best defensive fighter of the last decade...even over Hopkins.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ICE COLD BOXING
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Thread Information