Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Chinese Boxing (Kung Fu)

I got this bunch of Kung Fu movies over Christmas, they were great.

I wondered how useful Kung Fu would be in the ring ,

Say you banned striking and kicking, then it would be...

kung Fu punches vs boxing punches

What do you guys think?

Anyone done any Kung Fu? Is it better than western boxing?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Chinese Boxing (Kung Fu)

HARD ROCK

Which ones? Just curious.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can speak from a karateman's point of view, having learned genuine karate at young age is Okinawa (remember Miyagi san of Karate Kid? I'm a proud pinoy but actually I was born there and went to school run by the U.S. military there). To start, karateman usually punches better than boxers, though I can't describe it here in detail, it basically has to do with the fact boxers first learn to punch with their gloves on with the usually wraps around the hands, both which hinders the making of a good well-clenched fist - you just gotta be able to make a good fist to be able to punch well, not just letting your hands hanging loose inside the gloves. We karatemen can easily see the 'defects' in boxers' punches and that's why we're pretty good at analysing them. Of course, a boxer fighting a karateman, a boxer wouldn't have a chance because of the many technics allowed in karate, like blocking technics, grabbing your opponents hand, and all kinds of striking technics, and most of all, kicking. (That's one reason I've said UFC is fake - if I wear any of those mittens they wear and strike any of them my size in the jaw, I'm pretty sure their jaws will be a gonner.) But if they fight on the ring strictly on boxing rules, then the karateman hasn't got a chance cuz they just don't 'box' - they're just not boxers, simple as that.
    Once in awhile, get outside in fresh air, take a deep breath & with a deep sigh, let out all the things that's bottled up inside you & be free, & you'll get a glimpse of nirvana.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by pacfan
    I can speak from a karateman's point of view, having learned genuine karate at young age is Okinawa (remember Miyagi san of Karate Kid? I'm a proud pinoy but actually I was born there and went to school run by the U.S. military there). To start, karateman usually punches better than boxers, though I can't describe it here in detail, it basically has to do with the fact boxers first learn to punch with their gloves on with the usually wraps around the hands, both which hinders the making of a good well-clenched fist - you just gotta be able to make a good fist to be able to punch well, not just letting your hands hanging loose inside the gloves. We karatemen can easily see the 'defects' in boxers' punches and that's why we're pretty good at analysing them. Of course, a boxer fighting a karateman, a boxer wouldn't have a chance because of the many technics allowed in karate, like blocking technics, grabbing your opponents hand, and all kinds of striking technics, and most of all, kicking. (That's one reason I've said UFC is fake - if I wear any of those mittens they wear and strike any of them my size in the jaw, I'm pretty sure their jaws will be a gonner.) But if they fight on the ring strictly on boxing rules, then the karateman hasn't got a chance cuz they just don't 'box' - they're just not boxers, simple as that.
    Thats fuking ridiculously, No way in hell a Karateman punches better than a Boxer. Punches is the only tool a boxer uses, while a Karateman is more wide spread among legs. Just curious, Do they practice opium at the school?
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hardrock

I wondered how useful Kung Fu would be in the ring ,

Say you banned striking and kicking, then it would be...

kung Fu punches vs boxing punches

What do you guys think?

Anyone done any Kung Fu? Is it better than western boxing?
    I have boxed and was a Brown Belt in Kung Fu (dropped out the day of my Black Belt test so I didn't have to register my hands and feet as lethal weapons) and would definitely side with the boxers on this one. Most boxers are street fighters or have had a few street fights in their day so the whole "grabbing of the fist stuff is rediculous" So the making a good fist is way exaggerated. Besides, unless you go to an instructor that teaches street Kung Fu it's nothing more than a beautiful form of martial arts. I went to someone that taught "Street Kung Fu", Greg Greene...a former world record holder for breaking boards with his head...Most martial artists can't punch for shite!!!
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've mastered the art of punching but unfortunately, there's no way for me to prove it here. But if anyone thinks he knows better, can you tell me the characteristics of a good punch? We can start from here.
    Once in awhile, get outside in fresh air, take a deep breath & with a deep sigh, let out all the things that's bottled up inside you & be free, & you'll get a glimpse of nirvana.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I practiced Kung Fu (Eagle Claw style) many years in Puerto Rico and my father was a professional boxer. I have to say that my passion for the sport started with the martial arts and subsequently with a the influence of my father my passion for boxing raised. I would say both of them have their advantages and disadvantages rather than just selecting one. This also depends on the person, his dedication and abilities, not only on the style. I used to practice Kung Fu 3 - 4 days a week and 2 days boxing. And, I got to say that boxing helped me a lot with my fighting skills. I use boxing stance rather than traditional Kung Fu. But, again I believe this is very dependant on the person. Assuming similar skills in each discipline: Fighting with gloves and just allowing punches the boxer should win; allowing other types of attacks such as kicking legs, grabbing, fighting on the floor, etc. the Kung Fu should win.
    Puerto Rico, Small Island, Big Champions!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

im not sure if its true but i heard kosta tzyu did iron palm training to condition his fists

Crocop's ex coach was also a kung fu man and used some kung fu principles in his coaching

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A while back they had this show on some chanel, might have been fox sports, the science of sports or something. On one of the shows they measured how much pounds of presure per foot or something each punch created, well basically the boxers punch won out with something like a 1000+ lbs, equal to a karate kick. The most devestating however was some crazy thai boxing move that was the same as being in a car wreck at 40 miles an hour....so but jeah I guess boxing punch beats out a kung fu one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know about kung fu punching, but I know power punches come from the legs, like a boxer should, a punch starts from the feet, twisting of the hips, power coming from the thighs, turning your shoulder, and BAM! All the power comes from the legs and leverage is the main thing.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I got to say I am impressed with the opinions.

I practise Taekwondo also to keep me fit for boxing mainly.

I believe minus the jumping, Taekwondo is more or less Korean Kung Fu.

The martial artist starts his punch at the hip (sometimes mid-way between the hip and arm pit).

The Western boxer/Thai boxer starts his punch with his hands in front of his face.

A reverse punch is powerful and can break boards, but the defence before, during and after the reverse punch is poor compared ti a boxer.

The reverse punch does seem to have a grip on me. If you can break boards, you can use the ounch to knock people out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Accurate analysis of the Boxer vs Karate fight
    UFC is real tho' and lots of guys do get TK teh F out and broken jaws teeth noses etc. Rent all the UFC videos starting way back and watch.
    They have tamed it down with rule changes now
    Real japanese Karate is like point Karate but with full contact.
    I fought in real JKF and JKA Karate tournements in canada with full contact all body plus face and groin! Cups were not allowed! we wore a little cotten roll over our knuckles and people got hurt REALLY bad. MOstly teeth noses and BAD face cuts. And lots of broken hands,

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by landmine950
    Accurate analysis of the Boxer vs Karate fight
    UFC is real tho' and lots of guys do get TK teh F out and broken jaws teeth noses etc. Rent all the UFC videos starting way back and watch.
    They have tamed it down with rule changes now
    Real japanese Karate is like point Karate but with full contact.
    I fought in real JKF and JKA Karate tournements in canada with full contact all body plus face and groin! Cups were not allowed! we wore a little cotten roll over our knuckles and people got hurt REALLY bad. MOstly teeth noses and BAD face cuts. And lots of broken hands,
    Sorry for being late, I've been having difficulty connecting due to Asian-wide internet problem after an earthquake in Taiwan.

All right, I'm willing to reconsider my view though I still doubt it. In the first place why do they have to go on grappling most of the time, is it because they want to turn it into a mini WWF which is easy to fake than engaging in a punching and kicking match throughout which is more difficult to fake? I really don't know for sure but maybe someone can give me a good explanation...

Many say the power comes from the legs and that is correct, but not quite. The power actually comes from the WHOLE BODY, including the sole of the feet. Ridiculous?! Actually it's pretty simple to explain. It's just like pushing a stalled car, you use your full body strenght to do that. But instead of using your hands to do so, imagine you are doing that with one of your fists. That's how a punch should be. That's how great punchers punch, that's how prime Tyson punched, that's how Pacquiao punches - just look how he sent Morales body flying in the second round of their second fight and how he lifted the body of 3k battery (Fahsan?) with an uppercut.

You said you're from JKF or JKA, and I know most popular Japanese karate styles come from the Shuri or Shorin branch which is one of the two major branches of the Okinawan karate. But there is a kata (for the laymen, they're form exercises) call Sanchin which is the anchor of the Naha or Shorei branch, particularly the Uechi style, which helps develop that power. That kata exercise is basically divided into 'withdrawal.' 'shifting,' and 'striking' phases. You relax your body when you withdraw your punch and gently shift your stance, but when you are in the striking position, you tense your whole body (just as if you are going to push a car) and with a 'kiai' scream you exhale and thrust your arm for the strike, all the while tensing all the muscles in your body. Then you immediately relax and shift your position to the other side and the process is repeated over and over again. That kata exercise will help you develop the ultimate power in punching. If you're a serious karate student, you should learn that kata no matter what your style is - the movements are pretty simple and if you like you can further simplify it by taking out some fancy movements which are not important.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know I'm going to take some heat for this, but here it goes. I studied Kenpo for about eight years before many of the people on this board were born. Most of what I was taught was useless in a real fight. I was taught to cross my legs when delivering a strike or kick, arm punching, face rakes, animal sh*t., etc. Boxing and wrestling are probably the most effective self defense systems around. KISS - keep it simple stupid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chi is the only advantage oriental martial arts have over boxing, and higher levels of concentration. There are masters who could rupture your kidney or heart with a blow so they are more effective than a boxer, but it doesn't neccesarily mean they could hit a boxer or stand a chance in the ring.

Thread Information