0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Joe Lewis Vs Larry Holmes

Joe's reach 76" Height 6'2"
    Holmes reach 81" Height 6'3"

In their prime, This would of been a case of who's jab is best.

The jab would of been the key to determining the winner. Larry Holmes was had a longer reach so if they played the jabbing game, Holmes wins.

If Joe got inside he could turn it to his advantage and do short heavy punches.

Would do you pick, the Brown Bomber or the Eastern Assassin?

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Joe Lewis Vs Larry Holmes

Same argument for the Marciano/Tyson thing in that I have given up comparing different eras.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i was just about 2 post this topic----i'd say holmes by ud

holmes would make louis eat his jab all night--holmes has a chin and would b able to take anything louis can dish out

i also feel ali would beat louis with a UD

El Kabong Guest

It's Louis shmuck...get the name right

ICB Guest

holmes by decision it would be like conn vs louis but instead it would be holmes winning decision not getting stopped

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ICB i was looking at the title of this thread and thinking pretty much the same thing about Billy Conn

The only thing that throws me is that Holmes was renowned for surviving when hurt while Louis' thing was to kill em off?!

Hmmm...

Na, i still prefer Holmes' more fluid style with that piston jab to Louis shuffling approach.
    Could be argued that he might even stop Louis?
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe Lewis would probably get the sh*t beat out of him by Larry Holmes. Joe Louis, however, would most likely beat Larry Holmes.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan
    Joe Lewis would probably get the sh*t beat out of him by Larry Holmes. Joe Louis, however, would most likely beat Larry Holmes.
    how ??

El Kabong Guest

Joe Louis was a great boxer and knew how to stay in range without accumulating damage from his opponent. Joe had vicious punching power and Holmes did not. Holmes had power but he was by no means a power puncher.

Louis was also a master boxer the only thing Joe would have trouble with is Holmes' size and he wasn't that much bigger than the Brown Bomber

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    Joe Louis was a great boxer and knew how to stay in range without accumulating damage from his opponent. Joe had vicious punching power and Holmes did not. Holmes had power but he was by no means a power puncher.

Louis was also a master boxer the only thing Joe would have trouble with is Holmes' size and he wasn't that much bigger than the Brown Bomber
    i disagree i think louis would also struggle with holmes movement and his piston left jab which imo is better jab than louis's jab

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING

i disagree i think louis would also struggle with holmes movement and his piston left jab which imo is better jab than louis's jab
    best jab in boxing history, that jab is a bitch--holmes is all jab--w/0 the jab what would holmes b?

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by undefeated
    Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING

best jab in boxing history, that jab is a bitch--holmes is all jab--w/0 the jab what would holmes b?
    thats stupid what do you mean what would holmes be what would any great tactical boxer be without a jab ?? you might aswell say what would ali be or louis or lennox lewis or ect silly comment mate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Holmes jab gives Louis trouble no doubt but Joe had a much bigger arsenal than Larry with excellent punching power...If Joe tries to stay outside and jab it's a long night for him but I see him fighting Holmes more like Spinks with a whole lot more power and speed than Michael...Both fighters showed they could be hurt badly by relatively light hitters, but both showed they could recover quickly...I still have never seen anyone "survive" the way Holmes did against witherspoon after being rocked by the heavy hitting witherspoon...check it out on youtube if you want a treat.

I have not seen a lot of Joe louis in action except for his big fights which are impressive but I have seen most everyone of Larry's fights so I think Holmes would find a way, which he always did in his prime. I do know that slick boxers gave Joe trouble as Conn, Charles and Walcott showed(but who didn't they give trouble?) and Larry was big, strong and very slick...This is a great fight from a fantasy perspective and I am a huge Holmes fan(obvious) and as I am much more familiar with Larry's ability to recover, adapt and will to win.... so I have to go with a prime Holmes to keep Joe Louis at bay and punish Joe with enough right hand to keep Louis off of him...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

looks like novices compared to 70s-90s so no joe wouldn't even last 1 round

Thread Information