Thread: My sister boxing - any good ?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: My sister boxing - any good ?

Hats off to two ladies trying to carry on a conversation amongst herd of intimidated bafoons. I teach female boxers at our club also. We don't tolerate sexist talk. Our club conducts itself professionally, and the only way you get a head is through hard work and shaping yourself into an ideal fighter, and human being. I know this.....you can punch your face off in the mirror and climb in that ring as many times as your brains can tolerate it, but you will never reach excellence until you shape something greater than foot work or a good power punch. No, I'm not a practising religous person. That philosophy comes from experience and understanding how the body and mind work together.

OldTownBoxing

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ok oldtime, I'd have to agree with you there. Character and boxing should go hand in hand, even if a person does not understand the technicalities of the ring they should be morally grounded so they stand up for something.

I'm surprised this thread has gotten so much attention, sure there's a lot of good points on how things are, but it just started out as a guy posting a video clip of his sister hitting a bag. Seriously, how much attention does this deserve. Now I am not trying to step on anyone's feet, but can you see what this has become. Let's be sentimental, but let's get bend over backwards here.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Come on OldTown. This video was put on for people to comment on her. She in not a serious boxer. That being said, if you put a girl just messing around on here what do you expect.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sharla, as far as being too lite..I'm a pretty tall girl and am actually heavier then some of the guys...(150 lbs and about 5'10) so it's a actually difficult to find a guy big enought bc at our gym we have a lot of kids that come after school...one guy ducked me when my coach set up a sparring session for me..not to sound like an egotistical maniac or anything...it was only supposed to be my second sparring session..This is my third gym..The previous one I was at I was the only girl amongst pretty typical rough and tough guys..I worked hard,tried hard...yet I was never put in the ring to spar..it boiled down to the coach not wanting a girl hit by a guy...and I don't think that I hit like a girl,but I wasn't learning anything without sparring...you know?...The gym I am at now has girls that compete,and they are pretty good. As far as the looking like you mean it when you train..I totaly agree..This one girl comes to the gym to "train"..meaning she spends more time talking with the guys..I get annoyed with that..but hey...whatever tickles your fancy...There are coaches out there that take women fighters seriously,but we must gett out there and search for them..

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you spelled prisoners wrong. Sinity. which isnt a problem but it is on every post. just trying to help.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I work with a particular girl whose atractive I put her in to spar with Pros At first they think its a giggle until they get hit by her. There faces are a picture disbeleive and fuck that, I piss myself laugthing. Ive never known anybody train harder or is more dedicated, Shes won 7 World Kickboxing Titles and is a pleasure to have in the gym.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

^ CC #335 Scrap lol, that'd widen anyone's perspective. I've never met a girl fighter that was a world beater to boot. All I know there is a few kinds of them the serious ones, the in-it-for-fitness one's and the one's in between. That's not gender preferenced either just like Sharla said before.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi Sinity

In my gym the smallest guys are around 165 lbs - 75 kg. I'm 54 kg so I definitely feel an inability to show them the same power they face from each other. Where I'm from we often get people from other clubs to visit for sparring and then occasionally I'll get paired up with a guy my own weight which I really enjoy because he actually moves when I hit his body with my full body weight - rather than me bouncing off.

Sometimes I'll inflict a blood nose or a black eye on the guys my height but most of the time I'm struggling to get in against the taller ones. I also think it's a bit cheeky of me to unload too many hard ones knowing that if they gave me 100 % back I'd get KOed.

One thing I have noticed about some gyms which don't like women sparring is that they are less safety conscious. They are less able to teach defence tactics as well as say someone like Scrap - and as a consequence they think it's all about being a tough guy with a hard noggin.

If that is what your past gym was like then you are better off changing gyms anyway. I once trained at a kickboxing gym like this and when I was eventually allowed to spar I always went home with headaches. I didn't think much of it at the time because I was so thrilled to be sparring. Now I rarely get headaches from sparring even though we hit just as hard because the standard to which my current coaches teach defence is much higher.

Perhaps being a girl can be a sort of screening system for dodgy coaches in some cases
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Live and learn w/ a little live and let live on the side. Imagine what it would've been like if you were a guy, you'd still get those same headaches because you'd have been that same place maybe goin through the same headtrip as the other apes. Now aren't you lucky?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm ready to give up on boxing. I barely spar ..like once a month..and the last time I sparred I got a bloody nose and my coach just waved it off like I was whinning or something...I mean when the blood is dripping and you can't breath...doesn't sound like whinning..on top of that my coach didn't give me any feed back..Just asked me if I was ok,and didn't bother working or talking to me the next few days..Am I missing something here?or is this guy a complete A*S?There are no good gyms around and I'm at my last straw. I don't understand..this guy trains top pros...I think it's important to have a coach that you respect and can look up to.Maybe he was having a bad day and I am being too sensitive.But I can't help and wonder if he would act differently if I was a guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by sinity
    I'm ready to give up on boxing. I barely spar ..like once a month..and the last time I sparred I got a bloody nose and my coach just waved it off like I was whinning or something...I mean when the blood is dripping and you can't breath...doesn't sound like whinning..on top of that my coach didn't give me any feed back..Just asked me if I was ok,and didn't bother working or talking to me the next few days..Am I missing something here?or is this guy a complete A*S?There are no good gyms around and I'm at my last straw. I don't understand..this guy trains top pros...I think it's important to have a coach that you respect and can look up to.Maybe he was having a bad day and I am being too sensitive.But I can't help and wonder if he would act differently if I was a guy.
    Without talking to him,I honestly cant tell
    I mean Leslie spars with a guy thats 6'4" 220,I expect her to kick his a$$
    I just dont know what to tell you

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by sinity
    Hey sin, why don't you see if there are any martial arts clubs in your area. Who knows, you might find a fit. At least it'd be a lot better than subjecting yourself to those pricks. If I'm wrong why don't you try to get things straight between you and that trainer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you love it you won't be able to give up. Maybe you'll be able to take a week or two off but you'll soon be back

Did you cry? Never cry in front of anyone at a boxing gym. Hold it and have a little cry when you can run into the change rooms and turn the shower on. I've had to do that twice myself but the fact is many boxing coaches are old school. If a guy cries in their gym they'd probably be a lot LESS forgiving. They don't like tears. They feel bad and they don't like to see you upset and just don't know how to handle it.

Blood noses can be deceptive. Some people are bleeders and bleed very easily and others might only bleed with a really good shot. It's good to forget about the blood and just think about how it feels after a minute or two - that tells you more and you don't want to be upset unless you really have to be.

In a full gym sometimes it's difficult to get time in with the trainers. Especially if there are bouts coming up and you are not fighting they may be preoccupied with those who are fighting. I get this at my gym and it's frustrating whether you are fighting or not. If you're not fighting you are thinking "where's my direction?!?!". If you are fighting you are thinking "why are you trying to teach me all this one week before my bout when you could've been spending the last month on this with me and I'd actually get it then!".

I like to find myself a few encouraging mentors. Sometimes you'd be surprised how much senior fighters in a gym can teach you. The coach is not the only one. As you get more experienced this will be harder but you'll also have more ideas of what you need to work on. You don't need to disrupt their training too much. Just ask them a simple question or to spot a combo you are throwing and then go away and work on it yourself. Sometimes you might be able to ask someone who is warming up to do a little partnerwork (easy drills) with you just for a couple of rounds once a week. Tell them it can be a small part of their warm up and won't cut into their workout too much and a couple of rounds can make a big difference. This is not sparring but it means you have a chance to make the impulses you need for sparring more automatic and then hopefully you'll enjoy sparring more next time.

You might find you do need to change gyms from time to time but i wouldn't let one bad sparring session get you down that much. Look at how much time your coach spends with other individuals before you judge whether or not this is his way of blowing you off. To be honest if I wasn't stuck in Adelaide finishing my PhD I'd move and find myself another gym just to get more training. However, I know I'm not the only one frustrated with my coaches style of coaching for Independence of a fighter at the cost of regular feedback. A lot of the guys loose momentum It's not always because you're a girl it can just be because the coaches are loosing momentum themselves.
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sharla just hit on why I only train a couple of fighters at a time out of my own home gym.I have an offer to train at a local gym,and I just dont want to do it.Id rather concentrate on who Im working with,and try to get them as good as I can.

Thread Information