Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default This is what seperates Whitaker from Mayweather

He could get off 10 punch combinations while still being a defensive wizard and thats impressive

I really dig Whitaker now, especially after seeing this.

[youtube=425,350]4FPiQEgsYSM[/youtube]
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: This is what seperates Whitaker from Mayweather

Whitaker gots mad skillz... skillz wot killz!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats what I don't understand about PBF fans how they say "Well, Pernell fought the same way and was always on the defensive end"

Yeah! but Pernell did it in a way that was also offensive he put in work and punished his opponents.... Like Ricardo Lopez I mean we talk about Lopezs skills and technique but have you guys seen how he ends fights with 1 single punch?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMicK
    Thats what I don't understand about PBF fans how they say "Well, Pernell fought the same way and was always on the defensive end"

Yeah! but Pernell did it in a way that was also offensive he put in work and punished his opponents.... Like Ricardo Lopez I mean we talk about Lopezs skills and technique but have you guys seen how he ends fights with 1 single punch?
    Can we stay on the topic of Whitaker please

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A tremendous fighter. People rave about Floyd's defense...but Pernell's was better imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty
    He could get off 10 punch combinations while still being a defensive wizard and thats impressive
    This is why I consider Whitaker the best defensive fighter I've ever seen, and also why I consider Whitaker to a better PFP fighter than Roy Jones was.
    Neither guy ever got hit in his prime, but Jones usually stood at a distance, dove in with a power shot, and then jumped out again.
    Whitaker could stand flat footed right in front of his opponent, throw 80 punches a round, and still never get hit. That's the rarest of skills. Of course this was necessary for Pernell, because he didn't have any power, so he had to beat guys by landing lots of punches.

I am a huge Floyd fan and I've regularly referred to him as this decade's version of Whitaker. But you do bring up a very good point regarding their differences. Whitaker didn't change his style much as he moved from 135-140-147. He still stayed right in front of opponents, even though they were bigger and stronger.
    Mayweather may engage less at 147 than he did at 130, 135, etc. If he does continue to throw one punch and then move back out, that will be a big difference between he and Whitaker.
    Whitaker always based everything on the jab his entire career. Floyd has seemed to abandon it in recent fights.

We really won't be able to evaluate Mayweather vs. Whitaker until later in their careers. Everyone always questions the chin and heart of great defensive fighters because in their primes they never get hit. But when they get old, they lose their reflexes and eat punches that never would have landed before.
    Jones proved late in his career that his chin was suspect.
    Whitaker proved at the end that he had a great chin. He got nailed by power punches for 12 rounds by a prime Trinidad and only went down once on a quick knockdown in Round 2, and I believe he fought the last 6 rounds with a broken jaw.
    Mayweather hasn't slowed down yet so we have to wait to see what he proves in this area.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea

I am a huge Floyd fan and I've regularly referred to him as this decade's version of Whitaker. But you do bring up a very good point regarding their differences. Whitaker didn't change his style much as he moved from 135-140-147. He still stayed right in front of opponents, even though they were bigger and stronger.
    Mayweather may engage less at 147 than he did at 130, 135, etc. If he does continue to throw one punch and then move back out, that will be a big difference between he and Whitaker.
    Whitaker always based everything on the jab his entire career. Floyd has seemed to abandon it in recent fights.
    PBF seems to be content, with rolling punches off and not beeing agressive I mean look at the Baldomir fight, look at the Zab fight...... Those are 2 fighters that he should have and could have stopped but he didn't instead he was content with prancing around the ring and wining the fight by Dec.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really dig Whitaker now, especially after seeing this.

[youtube=425,350]4FPiQEgsYSM[/youtube]
    Watch Mayweather at his natural weight classes he did much thesame thing... Mayweather also throws better, more thought out combinations then Whitaker... offensively Mayweather was superior, and his transitions were better because he was faster, and could switch quicker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea
    This is why I consider Whitaker the best defensive fighter I've ever seen, and also why I consider Whitaker to a better PFP fighter than Roy Jones was.
    Neither guy ever got hit in his prime, but Jones usually stood at a distance, dove in with a power shot, and then jumped out again.
    Whitaker could stand flat footed right in front of his opponent, throw 80 punches a round, and still never get hit. That's the rarest of skills. Of course this was necessary for Pernell, because he didn't have any power, so he had to beat guys by landing lots of punches.

We really won't be able to evaluate Mayweather vs. Whitaker until later in their careers. Everyone always questions the chin and heart of great defensive fighters because in their primes they never get hit. But when they get old, they lose their reflexes and eat punches that never would have landed before.
    Jones proved late in his career that his chin was suspect.
    Whitaker proved at the end that he had a great chin. He got nailed by power punches for 12 rounds by a prime Trinidad and only went down once on a quick knockdown in Round 2, and I believe he fought the last 6 rounds with a broken jaw.
    Mayweather hasn't slowed down yet so we have to wait to see what he proves in this area.
    There are a few points I disagree on... Whitaker didn't stand toe to toe with guys like Chavez and Oscar Dela Hoya who had both skilll, and power. Also he wasn't as good of a counter puncher nor was he anywhere near as quick as Mayweahter or RJJ p4p... ALso Roy Jones Jr. had a good chin in his prime, and he did get hit, but Tarver hit him with an amazing punch, and Glen Johnson hit him hard for 9 rounds before he went down. Roy at his prime was taking a clean shot from Hopkins or Toney without any problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And this is what seperates Mayweather from Whitaker:

[youtube=425,350]3HfWfvuwdDE[/youtube]

Those 5-6 punch combos are brutal and land about as flush as they get on poor arturo's head and body. This is a great clip here, 8-min highlight of mayweather gatti. I know you all have seen it before, but treat it like fine wine or poetry. Savor the crowd gasping in awe and the thud of the punches coming through. This clip never gets old, I've probably seen in a good 20 times myself. It is art.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by dasamm
    And this is what seperates Mayweather from Whitaker:

[youtube=425,350]3HfWfvuwdDE[/youtube]

Those 5-6 punch combos are brutal and land about as flush as they get on poor arturo's head and body. This is a great clip here, 8-min highlight of mayweather gatti. I know you all have seen it before, but treat it like fine wine or poetry. Savor the crowd gasping in awe and the thud of the punches coming through. This clip never gets old, I've probably seen in a good 20 times myself. It is art.
    Whitaker would have done that against anyone Gatti's caliber

Treat this like fine wine, Whitaker who "cant punch" taking on WBA Lightweight champ Juan Nazario(much more dangerous then Gatti) who won that title by knocking out Edwin Rosario

[youtube=425,350]4D_rDwzl05g[/youtube]

Treat THAT like fine wine

or this fight against the 32 and 0 Poli Diaz

[youtube=425,350]oWmKcNVMi8s[/youtube]

Again, this is what seperates Whitaker from Mayweather

El Kabong Guest

Sweet Pea stood and FOUGHT while blocking and bobbing and weaving...he'd throw good combinations whereas Floyd has recently taken to throwing one or two punches at a time and his combos lack POP.

We'll see Oscar show Floyd what a true fighter fights like and then we can compare it to how Pernell did vs Oscar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not the same Oscar that Whitaker fought

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've actually meant to watch more of whitaker fights. I have only seen dlh, jcc, and trinidad fights, aside from parts the clips you posted (which I will watch all later when I have the time).

But I've seen a lot of PBF and maintain my stance that mayweather is the better offensive fighter. But I've also admitted that I could very well be wrong...but there's not really a right answer to this I guess.

To be honest I have no taste for wine

All in all Maj, I cc you for reminding me to watch more of Sweet Pea's fights!

For the record I think PBF will dominate oscar. Granted, it won't be the same oscar pernell fought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

also, dlh moved up in weight to fight whitaker and floyd is moving up to fight dlh. That will do something to balance out the age difference that dlh has now. Can really make a convincing argument either way after oscar-floyd.

Thread Information