Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default sparring with a buff guy

I'm 5'7 and I sparred a guy about 5'5 to 5'6. Thought I'd have an advantage due to length but end up taking a man size beating. He may be short but the guy was swole. He primarily trains in MMA, so he has that thick and solid wrestling body. We did some boxer sparring and everything he threw hurt me. He wasn't trying to go heavy. He just had naturally heavy hands. The shots kinda rocked my world everytime I got hit. I know I gotta get my stamina up just so I could keep jabbing him away from me or at least I could run away from him. I got tired and that's when I started taking leather. Now I'm confused. Should I up the weight training and get buff, too or stay how I am. He 's only about 5'6 but had to be at least 175 to 180, all muscle. I'm only 5'7 at 145. I was thinking at my height I should be gunning to make 135. Now I'm not sure. I train for boxing only.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: sparring with a buff guy

Well, at 145 you really shouldn't be fighting people who outweigh you by 30-35 lbs. That's another 30-35 lbs of extra force coming your way, so naturally everything he throws is going to be a lot stronger than yours, all other things being equal. So I wouldn't worry about that being as much of an issue when you actually start to compete. Everyone you fight is going to be 145 as well (or 135, if you do make it down that low), so the huge weight difference won't be an issue once you do compete.

If your only problems started when you got tired, I'd suggest cardio cardio cardio. Other than that, remember to keep your hands up. If everything he threw was heavy (as MMA fighters tend to do, because they can't afford to throw easy shots in an MMA fight), you need to trust in your gloves to protect you, or just slip his punches, counter and get away again. Like you said, jab the hell out of him and keep moving. When boxing, there's no reason for you to stand and trade with a guy who can punch that much harder than you.

Boxing is like a handjob, and MMA is like a hot sweaty orgy with 5 chicks. I could never say no to a handjob, but which would you rather have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thanx Heavy D. The reason we sparred is because we were involved in a conditioning class that starts out with sparring. There are about ten to fifteen of us and we all rotate sparring partners in beetween rounds. Even though it gets tough, I still enjoy it. It's nice to spar against a variety of fighters in a single session. You get fighters tall to short, buff, skinny, or fat. You are right, MMA guys can not afford to through light punches but I can tell that he was at least attempting to go light on me. I'll get my cardio game up and not stand there and take a woopin'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ah...was just about to come back here and post that "By the way, if this is a sparring session, he really shouldn't be whooping on you...", but the last sentence of that kinda kills it.

Either way, cardio is key in ANY sport, and it never hurts to go balls out when it comes to getting your conditioning out there, especially when you can see it affecting your performace while only sparring.
    Boxing is like a handjob, and MMA is like a hot sweaty orgy with 5 chicks. I could never say no to a handjob, but which would you rather have?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey, i box at about 155-160 and i was heavily involved in weights up until about a month ago...I jus cold turkey stopped using weights and although i have SLIGHTLY dropped in terms of power my speed, flexibility and combination punching have started to really excel, but it is my belief tha weights shud be integrated to a certain extent, it's jus a matter of finding the correct balance

Thread Information