Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: How would you set-up the rankings?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How would you set-up the rankings?

I made this topic because of a question sanj16 posted on the Froch / Inkin thread.
    The question is, how would you set-up your rankings if you were the comissioner of a brand
    new Alphabet organization. I will post my thoughts if people reply to this.

For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How would you set-up the rankings?

I'd write all the names down on little pieces of paper, ball them up, put them in my hat and randomly draw them out...

Are we talking Super-Middle only?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingGorilla
    I'd write all the names down on little pieces of paper, ball them up, put them in my hat and randomly draw them out...

Are we talking Super-Middle only?
    This would be how you would apply rankings to all weight classes.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would have a crew of five forum members whos judgement I trust and we would sit down over a few pints and a a game of darts and compile our rankings. Then once per week we would sit down over a few pints and a game of darts and discuss any changes. If we couldnt come to an agreement for any reason the vote lies with who won the darts.

Come on Killer, you've obviously given this a bit of thought and come up with a system that you think is a bit tasty so lets have it

When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis
    I would have a crew of five forum members whos judgement I trust and we would sit down over a few pints and a a game of darts and compile our rankings. Then once per week we would sit down over a few pints and a game of darts and discuss any changes. If we couldnt come to an agreement for any reason the vote lies with who won the darts.

Come on Killer, you've obviously given this a bit of thought and come up with a system that you think is a bit tasty so lets have it

Once I'm not at work and have time to type
    Then I will indulge you.
    I can see this being a good discussion in the making though.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok this gets a little bit complicated, and it is NOT completely thought through,
    Anyway here goes.

Sanctioning fees, paid on an annual basis not per fight

Base points

For the first month this will be a little wierd and unfair.
    To get the base points simply subtract losses from wins (ignore draws)

we will use the Light Welters as an example

Ricky Hatton 42-0 = Base Points 42
    Jose Luis Castillo 55-7 = Base Points 48
    Junior Witter 35-1 = Base Points 34
    Vivian Harris 28-2 = Base Points 26
    Herman Ngoudjo 15-1 = Base Points 14
    Demetrius Hopkins 26-0 = Base points 26
    Kendall Holt 21-1 = Base Points 20
    Juan Lazcano 37-4 = Base Points 33
    Souleymane M'baye 35-1 = Base Points 34
    Andreas Kotelnik 27-2 = Base Points 25

So for base points
    1 )Jose Luis Castillo 48
    2 )Ricky Hatton 42
    3 )Junior Witter 34
    3 )Souleymane M'Baye 34
    5 )Juan Lazcano 33
    6 )Demetrius Hopkins 26
    6 )Vivian Harris 26
    8 )Andreas Kotelnik 25
    9 )Kendall Holt 20
    10)Herman Ngoudjo 14

Council points

THEN to that number there will be 5 people on a council that rate the top 5 of each division
    (this will be done on a monthly basis)

For each 1st place vote 5 points
    For each 2nd place vote 4 points
    For each 3rd place vote 3 points
    For each 4th place vote 2 points
    For each 5th place vote 1 point

We'll assume for the sake of argument that all 5 judges vote the same way

1) Ricky Hatton = 25 points
    2) Jose Luis Castillo = 20 points
    3) Junior Witter = 15 points
    4) Demetrius Hopkins = 10 points
    5) Vivian Harris = 5 points

Fan Points

There will be a website where fans can actually vote and take part in who are the best in the division

1st highest votes = 25 points
    2nd highest votes = 20 points
    3rd highest votes = 15 points
    4th highest votes = 10 points
    5th highest votes = 5 points

We'll assume for this example that the fans voted the same way as the judges

1) Ricky Hatton = 25 points
    2) Jose Luis Castillo = 20 points
    3) Junior Witter = 15 points
    4) Demetrius Hopkins = 10 points
    5) Vivian Harris = 5 points

Putting it all together:

Raw Points

1 )Jose Luis Castillo 48 + 20 + 20 = 88
    2 )Ricky Hatton 42 +25 +25 = 92
    3 )Junior Witter 34 +15 +15 = 64
    3 )Souleymane M'Baye 34 = 34
    5 )Juan Lazcano 33 = 33
    6 )Demetrius Hopkins 26 + 10 + 10 = 46
    6 )Vivian Harris 26 + 5 + 5 = 36
    8 )Andreas Kotelnik 25 = 25
    9 )Kendall Holt 20 = 20
    10)Herman Ngoudjo 14 = 14

Tallies out to

1 ) Ricky Hatton 92
    2 ) Jose Luis Castillo 88
    3 ) Junior Witter 64
    4 ) Demetrius Hopkins 46
    5 ) Vivian Harris 36
    6 ) Souleymane M'Baye 34
    7 ) Juan Lazcano 33
    8 )Andreas Kotelnik 25
    9 )Kendall Holt 20
    10)Herman Ngoudjo 14

Continued.........................

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ranking Values

Champ = 100
    #1 = 75
    #2 = 50
    #3 = 30
    #4 = 25
    #5 = 20
    #6 = 19
    #7 = 18
    #8 = 17
    #9 = 16
    #10 = 15
    #11 = 14
    #12 = 13
    #13 = 12
    #14 = 11
    #15 = 10
    #16 = 9
    #17 = 8
    #18 = 7
    #19 = 6
    #20-#49 = 3
    #50-#99 = 2
    #100+ = 1

These work as follows

Fighter #1 Ricky Hatton in this case fights
    Fighter #2 Jose Luis Castillo

Hatton's Value for the fight is
    his rank #1 = 75 points + his total points 92 = 167
    Against
    Castillo's Value for the fight is
    His rank #2 = 50 points + his total points 88 = 138

The winner gets the points of the value of the other fighter

So.........If Hatton wins he gets 138 points to add to his 92 = 230
    If Castillo wins he gets 167 points to add to his 88 = 255

If it is a draw they split they get points in the following way.
    Higher ranking fighter gets half difference in values (in this case 29 points ) minus difference in rank in this case 1
    29/2 = 14.5 Round up to 15 minus 1 = 14 points for Hatton
    Lower ranking fighter gets half difference in values plus difference in rank
    29/2 = 14.5 Round up to 15 plus 1 = 16 points for Castillo

If a fighter is inactive for more than 6 months, then they lose 10 points per week (barring a medical exemption of course).

The only person that cannot be trumped by points is the Champ.

The champ has a mandatory once per year which will be the winner of a title eliminator bout.
    title eliminator will be a designated fight between the #1 and #2 contenders.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm proud of you for this, Killer. I think it's intelligent and well explained.

I wish I could focus my mind long enough to create in this way.

CC!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingGorilla
    I'm proud of you for this, Killer. I think it's intelligent and well explained.

I wish I could focus my mind long enough to create in this way.

CC!
    Thanks bro CC back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Like KillerSheep I would use a points system. I would just base mine a bit different.

We will use the Heavyweight Division since it is simplist.

Points are Based on more than just amount of fights like it seems some organazitions do...EG a guy with a record of 35-0 doesnt deserve a higher ranking then a guy 25-5 if the 25-5 guy has fought nothing but the top tier and never lost to anyone but a rank opponent while the 35-0 guy has never beaten a top 10 guy...Points will be awarded accordingly

QUALITY OF WINS 1-10 POINTS..THE MORE RANKED OPPONENTS YOU HAVE WINS OVER THE HIGHER YOUR SCORE (Opponents being ranked at time of fight)

HOW OFTEN YOU FIGHT--If a guy only fights once or twice a year then no you dont get as much credit as a guy who does 4 or 5 times..Each bout gets 5 points based on the last 12 months

AMOUNT OF BOUTS--Though I believe quality is more important quanity also has some clout. I give 1 point for each win.

SIGNIFIGANCE OF LAST 5 BOUTS- You can have all the wins against big names on the way down or no hopers you ant but what signifigance was the bout for the division? What did it prove?...If a guy has been in an eliminator,,a title fight ( win or lose) and a fight with another ranked fighter he did more to improve the divisiomn and clear up any confusion on who is who than a guy who fought 5 guys ranked 20th and below. I give 5 points for each bout of that manner.

PERFORMANCE--How did you perform in your last bout? A win is a win right? WRONG!! If all you did was hit and hold or were sluggish,,showing signs of deterioration,, the lower the rating...But if you stepped up to the plate,,Proved your heart,,,showed a constant level of skill since your last bout or improvement the higher you score...Points are a 1-10 possibility based on these qualities or lack of

OVER ALL QUALITY--Add the scores,,list the top 10 scores accordingly,,Now add for each position The higher you are the more points you get. You recieve 5 points for evfery fighter ranked underneath you
    EG if #9 has 50 points they get 5 more to the total because they have one fighter ranked beneath them so the total would be 55---Higher you go the more you earn...If the #1 guy has 100 points lets say he has 9 guys ranked under him so add another 45 points. If the next month the fighter has the second amount of higest points he would be at # 2 + lose 5 points for another fighter climbing above him so this can work as a plus or minus for a fighter add them all up and their is your rankings...This system would only be applied to the top 10 fighters...Anyone under 10th would have all the rest of system implemented as stated.

To decide the Champion I would take the 2 highest totals and make them fight it out winner being champion..........

A Champion may only defend against a top 10 ranked opponent.....1 mandatory every 3 fights

Here is an example of my system Lets pretend they are not champions as of yet and overall quality points will be based on their box rec ranking

Wladamir Klitschko Nicolay Valuev Oleg Maskaev

Quality of Wins 9 3 5

How often he fights 15 15 10

Amount of Wins 48 46 35

Signifigance of Bouts 10 4 5

Performance 10 6 4

Overall Quality
    ToTal= 92 74 59

We Will leave off over all quality due to the fact this would be the first month.. I based
    signifigance on carrer whole

Klitschko and Valuev would fight for the title

Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn
    Like KillerSheep I would use a points system. I would just base mine a bit different.

We will use the Heavyweight Division since it is simplist.

Points are Based on more than just amount of fights like it seems some organazitions do...EG a guy with a record of 35-0 doesnt deserve a higher ranking then a guy 25-5 if the 25-5 guy has fought nothing but the top tier and never lost to anyone but a rank opponent while the 35-0 guy has never beaten a top 10 guy...Points will be awarded accordingly

QUALITY OF WINS 1-10 POINTS..THE MORE RANKED OPPONENTS YOU HAVE WINS OVER THE HIGHER YOUR SCORE (Opponents being ranked at time of fight)

HOW OFTEN YOU FIGHT--If a guy only fights once or twice a year then no you dont get as much credit as a guy who does 4 or 5 times..Each bout gets 5 points based on the last 12 months

AMOUNT OF BOUTS--Though I believe quality is more important quanity also has some clout. I give 1 point for each win.

SIGNIFIGANCE OF LAST 5 BOUTS- You can have all the wins against big names on the way down or no hopers you ant but what signifigance was the bout for the division? What did it prove?...If a guy has been in an eliminator,,a title fight ( win or lose) and a fight with another ranked fighter he did more to improve the divisiomn and clear up any confusion on who is who than a guy who fought 5 guys ranked 20th and below. I give 5 points for each bout of that manner.

PERFORMANCE--How did you perform in your last bout? A win is a win right? WRONG!! If all you did was hit and hold or were sluggish,,showing signs of deterioration,, the lower the rating...But if you stepped up to the plate,,Proved your heart,,,showed a constant level of skill since your last bout or improvement the higher you score...Points are a 1-10 possibility based on these qualities or lack of

OVER ALL QUALITY--Add the scores,,list the top 10 scores accordingly,,Now add for each position The higher you are the more points you get. You recieve 5 points for evfery fighter ranked underneath you
    EG if #9 has 50 points they get 5 more to the total because they have one fighter ranked beneath them so the total would be 55---Higher you go the more you earn...If the #1 guy has 100 points lets say he has 9 guys ranked under him so add another 45 points. If the next month the fighter has the second amount of higest points he would be at # 2 + lose 5 points for another fighter climbing above him so this can work as a plus or minus for a fighter add them all up and their is your rankings...This system would only be applied to the top 10 fighters...Anyone under 10th would have all the rest of system implemented as stated.

To decide the Champion I would take the 2 highest totals and make them fight it out winner being champion..........

A Champion may only defend against a top 10 ranked opponent.....1 mandatory every 3 fights

Here is an example of my system Lets pretend they are not champions as of yet and overall quality points will be based on their box rec ranking

Wladamir Klitschko Nicolay Valuev Oleg Maskaev

Quality of Wins 9 3 5

How often he fights 15 15 10

Amount of Wins 48 46 35

Signifigance of Bouts 10 4 5

Performance 10 6 4

Overall Quality
    ToTal= 92 74 59

We Will leave off over all quality due to the fact this would be the first month.. I based
    signifigance on carrer whole

Klitschko and Valuev would fight for the title

Good job Daxx, you bring up some good points. Who would judge what "quality" is? Are you proposing a panel, or perhaps a representitive at each fight?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Both interesting, Dax and Killer, although Memphis idea was the best

Funny thing is, killersheep, your rankings basically add up to the "the ring" top 10 without N'dou...And seeing as you're 1 and 2. (Hatton/Castillo) are scheduled to fight, and your 3 & 5 (Witter/Harris) are to meet later this year it would suggest that the Lightwelter division is in pretty good nick. Surprising.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster
    Both interesting, Dax and Killer, although Memphis idea was the best

Funny thing is, killersheep, your rankings basically add up to the "the ring" top 10 without N'dou...And seeing as you're 1 and 2. (Hatton/Castillo) are scheduled to fight, and your 3 & 5 (Witter/Harris) are to meet later this year it would suggest that the Lightwelter division is in pretty good nick. Surprising.
    I am advocating my idea because it promotes the following things

1) You make more points if you are more active
    2) There is a reality check for bonus points awarded by the council so someone that's been fighting top tier fighters gets awarded extra points monthly
    3) It involves the fans, they should have a say in who's ranked higher and who they want to see fight each other, afterall ultimately they are paying the bill for all of this.

I really like Daxx's points about individual fights being weighted according to quality of competition, I see it being difficult to maintain as you move farther down the ranks, example being two fighters with their sanctioning fees being paid are having their debuts against each other and it's not televised.

Thread Information