Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: So...what does this do for ya's? Calzaghe vs Taylor...fight or farce?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warren offers Jermain Taylor $4 million for Calzaghe Super Fight...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Warren offers Jermain Taylor $4 million for Calzaghe Super Fight...

Warren offers Taylor $4 million!

Wednesday, April 11 2007

Promoter Frank Warren has offered middleweight champion Jermain Taylor four million dollars to come to the UK in September to challenge WBO super middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe. In addition, Warren has has agreed to having the WBO assign an American to referee the fight, a concession to the seeming "home cooking" quick stoppage of British referee Terry O'Connor in Calzaghe's recent fight with Manfredo. "Saturday's crowd in Cardiff for Joe's title defense against Peter Manfredo exceeded 35,000 -- a European indoor record. The only way to surpass that is for Joe to fight the best man out there and that man is Jermain Taylor," said Warren.

http://www.fightnews.com/fightnews_2...pJwgLloAJ.html

This match, IWO, is a no win fight for Calzaghe...even if he wins.

Taylor’s proven to be less than stellar when he needed to shine the most. Calzaghe’s volume with push Taylor over the edge, IWO. If Joe wins…everyone will just say that he defeated a blown up middle of a kid in Taylor.

If Taylor wins…his record becomes even more impressive than it already is…but he’d better pull it out convincingly.

So the question is...what will be your verdict on this one?
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Warren offers Jermain Taylor $4 million for Calzaghe Super Fight...

I picked the second option.

"Taylor? Please. What about Kessler?"

'Nuff said.

In the end...if Joe is injured & Kessler is injured...why try to make another fight?

Something stinks like rotten fish.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

On FNF RJJ said he's fighting Taylor in September

What's up with that?

Personally I think Kessler is the best matchup. Taylor isn't the SuperMiddle champ so why not go for that first. I am unimpressed with Taylor going below his weight twice, then looking up? Same with Spinks, not impressed he's fighting Taylor. I think there are plenty of good fights in his own division and he will most certainly lose. Neither of them are dominating their own weight classes to need to go looking somewhere else for a challenge.

That's my 3 cents.....
    Hidden Content

My favorite Boxer.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Does Frank think $4 mill. buys him the world or what?

Anyway! I voted

I'm so sick of this Calzaghe mess...that I just don't care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by luvfightgame

What's up with that?

Personally I think Kessler is the best matchup. Taylor isn't the SuperMiddle champ so why not go for that first. I am unimpressed with Taylor going below his weight twice, then looking up? Same with Spinks, not impressed he's fighting Taylor. I think there are plenty of good fights in his own division and he will most certainly lose. Neither of them are dominating their own weight classes to need to go looking somewhere else for a challenge.

That's my 3 cents.....
    to a good 3 cents well spent.

Totally agree with the majority of that post.

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMicK
    Probably...$4 mill's a chunk to most men.

Anyway! I voted

I'm so sick of this Calzaghe mess...that I just don't care.
    While I haven't totally lost faith...I am a bit disgusted also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by luvfightgame
    Oh yeah...I also don't put any stock in shit that Roy says anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I feel the same.

I don't see any reason for him to turn that one down though. There is no downside to that for RJJ. If he wins it he's on top, if he loses everyone says he's shot anyway.

Not good for Taylor though....
    Hidden Content

My favorite Boxer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205

Probably...$4 mill's a chunk to most men.
    But not to Taylor. As the boxingtalk post for this states (as an "editor's note), JT gets this much $$ to fight IN AMERICA already. This "offer" is a Frank Warren sham that's just being made so that he and Joe's fans can have another top American fighter about whom they can say "Look, Joe wanted to fight the guy, he offered him a ton of money, but [American fighter--could be RJJ, B-Hop, or JT] didn't take it. So who's dodging whom?"

He should fight Kessler. But if FW actually made a meaningful offer to JT, and the fight did come through, JT would undoubtedly be the most-proven and best opponent Joe would have ever faced. I've never been very impressed with JT, but he's big and awkward enough that he at least kept it close with Winky (I gave it to Winky by a couple points), and IMO actually edged Hopkins the second time (not the first). And while I don't agree with the judges, he's still the only guy out there that had back-to-back-to-back "wins" over P4P top 3 fighters.

So Wacks, while I agree there are better fights, a JC victory over Taylor (assuming it wasn't a bullshit stoppage following a pitty-pat slap-barrage--a dangerous assumption to make, no doubt) would do more for me than any previous JC fight in terms of proving his talent to me. I just don't see anyone behaving as if it's equivalent to the Lacy fight, or claiming that it just shows Taylor was overrated or something. Seriously, if JC could actually do better than Winky or B-Hop against this guy, that would finally convince me that there's something to Calzaghe. He'd finally share a common opponent with proven top fighters--one that those other fighters were unable to dominate.

But I also think that if the fight did happen, it's likely that JC would break his hand by mid-fight and then lose. Seriously.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

finally someone good . would of prefered kessler though

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ds91
    finally someone good . would of prefered kessler though
    The fight hasn't been made.
    It was just an offer.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Excellent post Shza.

Basically you summed it up, if Taylor wants more money to go to England and move up in weight then Warren just goes back to the "he priced himself out" card. If it weren't for Jeff Lacy who would have done anything for a shot at Calzaghe and basically backing Joe into a corner, Joe wouldn't mean jackshit to me. And he's still nothing more then an excellent fighter who has one huge win. This is so tiring. Give Kessler his shot or go to America and THEN negotiate with the big names.

This Joe, or I should say Warren, bullshit is really getting on my nerves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It would not surprise me in the least if JT excepted the offer!! He fought BHop back to back and then Winky!! This kid is old school, he legitimately wants the big names.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hairdoo
    It would not surprise me in the least if JT excepted the offer!! He fought BHop back to back and then Winky!! This kid is old school, he legitimately wants the big names.
    Yep...so true...that's why he's not fought a legit middleweight other than Hopkins...& dare I say it...Joppy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    I picked the second option.

"Taylor? Please. What about Kessler?"

'Nuff said.

In the end...if Joe is injured & Kessler is injured...why try to make another fight?

Something stinks like rotten fish.
    anybody but Kessler and it's bullsh*t!!!!!
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What about Kessler?

Taylor fights in May. Kessler has a months rest on Taylor. Calzaghe should just wait it out and go whenever Kessler agrees to go.

Taylor should fight Miranda next. They both should ready to rumble around the same time. Although Miranda just fought Green and is now taking on Pavlik.

Thread Information