Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default All boxers please check this out

Hey...

I'm a college student doing a project for a rhetoric class I'm taking. I'm doing an ethnography on the subculture of boxing and need some input from people who box. If you box, please take a few minutes to answer these questions. All input is appreciated.

1. Why do you box?

2. Furthering the first question, what do you want to get out of it?

3. In your mind why is it worth any inflicted damage during a fight?

4. Does your ego/pride play a major role in your motivation to box?

5. Some people say boxers enjoy violence; would you agree with this statement, why or why not?

6. Would you say you have had a troubled past, or one that motivates you to box? If so, and if you don’t mind explaining, how has it motivated you?

7. Would you say any stereotypes hold true for most (not all) boxers as far as ethnicity, gender, class, and sexuality?

8. Are there any behaviors or actions that only boxers/fighters do? (in other words, something you see a person do and think "that person must box")

Thanks again for any input.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: All boxers please check this out

Quote Originally Posted by Zurawa
    Hey...

I'm a college student doing a project for a rhetoric class I'm taking. I'm doing an ethnography on the subculture of boxing and need some input from people who box. If you box, please take a few minutes to answer these questions. All input is appreciated.

1. Why do you box?

5. Some people say boxers enjoy violence; would you agree with this statement, why or why not?

6. Would you say you have had a troubled past, or one that motivates you to box? If so, and if you don’t mind explaining, how has it motivated you?

7. Would you say any stereotypes hold true for most (not all) boxers as far as ethnicity, gender, class, and sexuality?

8. Are there any behaviors or actions that only boxers/fighters do? (in other words, something you see a person do and think "that person must box")

CC #1 baby WELCOME!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wish ProBoxer18, puertoricanchamp, Jax aka. Rahman and the Power Puncher were all here to answer this for you.

Welcome to the Forum, I don't box (I just train at home) but theres a few people here who do. Good luck.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey...

1. Why do you box?

I'm probably not the person to answer these questions as I've never had a real match, but in the past I have trained/sparred etc. so I'll give this a shot since no one else has responded.
    1. I wanted to try boxing because I loved watching the sport, and I wanted to know what it felt like to get into the ring for myself, partially, I suppose, to see if it was as hard as it looks (it was much, much harder). I also wanted to see if I could take a punch from someone who really knew what they were doing. However, my first time sparring was against a guy who fought/fights as an amateur in the Super HW div. I got knocked down twice in my first 3 round sparring session in front of about 20 people. I'm 5'9 and 160lbs.
    2. I didn't expect to get anything out of it aside from a bruised ego and possibly a broken nose. I also wanted to gain confidence in my ability to defend myself and to learn how to punch, and how to take a punch properly.
    3. One of the reasons I never had a real fight was my concern over getting hurt badly as I have had multiple (6 or 7) concussions in my life.
    4. Ego/pride didn't play too much of a role in my experience, except for dragging my ass off of the canvas that 1st sparring session; though there were those at the gym who used it as their primary motivation.
    5. Many people, not only boxers, enjoy controlled and regulated violence. I love to watch boxing, but I tend to feel sick to my stomach and generally disgusted while witnessing a street fight.
    6. I have had a bit of a troubled past, nothing too serious though, just trouble with drugs/the law etc. It motivated me a bit, I guess, but not in a way I could easily describe.
    7. Some stereotypes are true in boxing, as in anything else. It seems to me that some, if not most, pro's come from relative poverty or at least impoverished nations like Mexico or Colombia, or the former U.S.S.R.
    8. I don't think that there are any behaviors/actions that only boxers do. However, I have a friend who I think should get into the sport, but just because he's a good fighter, angry and lacks direction, discipline and focus. I also think my little cousin, who is an 9 yr. old girl would enjoy getting into the sport, she gets picked on alto at school and doesn't have many, if any, friends, and her confidence and self-esteem suffers accordingly. She also really enjoyed learning the basics of punching and hitting the heavy bag and combo dummy that I own, and she is constantly pestering her parents to be allowed to box.

Sorry for the rambling post, and again I don't think this post is specifically directed at me, as I have never truly boxed in any sort of a match (I would hardly consider sparring a match). I hope this helps at least somewhat.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH
    I'm probably not the person to answer these questions as I've never had a real match, but in the past I have trained/sparred etc. so I'll give this a shot since no one else has responded.
    1. I wanted to try boxing because I loved watching the sport, and I wanted to know what it felt like to get into the ring for myself, partially, I suppose, to see if it was as hard as it looks (it was much, much harder). I also wanted to see if I could take a punch from someone who really knew what they were doing. However, my first time sparring was against a guy who fought/fights as an amateur in the Super HW div. I got knocked down twice in my first 3 round sparring session in front of about 20 people. I'm 5'9 and 160lbs.
    2. I didn't expect to get anything out of it aside from a bruised ego and possibly a broken nose. I also wanted to gain confidence in my ability to defend myself and to learn how to punch, and how to take a punch properly.
    3. One of the reasons I never had a real fight was my concern over getting hurt badly as I have had multiple (6 or 7) concussions in my life.
    4. Ego/pride didn't play too much of a role in my experience, except for dragging my ass off of the canvas that 1st sparring session; though there were those at the gym who used it as their primary motivation.
    5. Many people, not only boxers, enjoy controlled and regulated violence. I love to watch boxing, but I tend to feel sick to my stomach and generally disgusted while witnessing a street fight.
    6. I have had a bit of a troubled past, nothing too serious though, just trouble with drugs/the law etc. It motivated me a bit, I guess, but not in a way I could easily describe.
    7. Some stereotypes are true in boxing, as in anything else. It seems to me that some, if not most, pro's come from relative poverty or at least impoverished nations like Mexico or Colombia, or the former U.S.S.R.
    8. I don't think that there are any behaviors/actions that only boxers do. However, I have a friend who I think should get into the sport, but just because he's a good fighter, angry and lacks direction, discipline and focus. I also think my little cousin, who is an 9 yr. old girl would enjoy getting into the sport, she gets picked on alto at school and doesn't have many, if any, friends, and her confidence and self-esteem suffers accordingly. She also really enjoyed learning the basics of punching and hitting the heavy bag and combo dummy that I own, and she is constantly pestering her parents to be allowed to box.

Sorry for the rambling post, and again I don't think this post is specifically directed at me, as I have never truly boxed in any sort of a match (I would hardly consider sparring a match). I hope this helps at least somewhat.
    Heres CC#9 for helping out Zurawa....

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i just train to keep in shape and spar once in a while but not with any intentions of trying pro ranks lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey...

1. Why do you box?
    I love the feeling of being in control of what happens in the ring. Kind of in my element
    Hopefully a title. a world title would be nice but thats not a realistic goal to me.Being a state or national champion would be nice
    Everything in life has a price. driving to work in your car is taking a chance
    I dont realy have an ego, but im competetive with myself.
    I enjoy the sport because it is phisical but even more mental. Im not a fighter on the street, just in the ring.
    Yeah. I started boxing when i was 14 around when i started hanging with less than positive influences. Boxing changed that and kept me in the gym and off the streets.

I have thought that some steriotypes are true from what i have seen but there is always someone that proves me wrong

Boxing is full of some of the greatest people ive ever met, nothing like many other sports...but most boxer including myself are a least a little crazy.

Hope this helps

Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey...

1. Why do you box?

I no longer "Box" per say but up until this past year I was coaching amateur boxing. Hopefully I can answer some of your questions......

1. I boxed for a couple of reasons...I love boxing!! I think it is the greatest sport on the planet, bar none. I also have a few members in the family that fought and trust me, if you ever see your blood fighting on TV for a title you will become hooked.

2. I wanted to get the discipline and pride that only comes from boxing...Football (American) is for the more lazy athlete that needs to hide behind pads to hit someone...soccer..well it's soccer....hockey isn't even a true pro sport..baseball...whatever...You will never hold your head up higher after winning doing anything physical or combative.

3. To be honest: If you're worried or thinking about physical damage you would be playing tennis or golf. It is proven that you will and have a higher chance for concussions/brain trauma/ injuries playing football, soccer, hockey, gymnastics or cheerleading...yes, cheerleading!!! No other sports pairs the fighters as evenly as boxing(for the most part)..

4. I think for anybody to be successful in anything you need to have some ego....or you'll get taken out everytime.

5. I believe it's the competition that is the draw. You put your skill up against their skills...The best man on that given night will come out on top...the violence is just an added bonus.. I personally was only truly mad at one person before a fight...you will not be at your best if you fight mad....controlled aggression is the only way...unless you want KTFO!!

6. Most of my troubles came after boxing...friggin women and their poison tongues...

7. Absolutely not....unless you mean only real men and women box...

8. whenever I see someone talk about a fight they had and I see them "Demonstrate" how they KO'd some one....or I will ask to see someone's "Fighting Stance" ...That tells everything you need to know....

Hope this helps!!!!!

It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1.My brother,uncle,and 3 of my cousins boxed...plus it was a transition sport from wrestling.I was being a follower.
    2.I just want to see how far I can go.
    3.The bigger the risk...the bigger the reward.
    4.Definitely...90% of the boxers that I've known have had an ego.
    5.Those who say boxers enjoy violence obviously arent familiar with the sport.Its competition...plain and simple.Man has always been fascinated with competition.(They have midget tossing competitions these days!!!!!)
    6.I had a very good upbringing...
    7.As for stereotypes...I cant think of any right now that are true.
    8.ummm...not sure...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey...

1. Why do you box?

for the record im training and hope to make it far in the sport but its alittle early to tell if thats going to happen with that out of the way here's my input

1. I like the sport and its something i wanna get into and hopefully suceed in.

2. there's some people that do it just as a hobby and i can see doing it for that but i'm hoping to make it big and i believe you have to have the mindset that you're going to be the next big thing or else it takes something away from your ability. I think you also have top believe that you are the best no matter who you're going against because if you think that "they're alittle bit better than me" you're giving them a mental edge that they haven't earned.

3. This one's kinda hard to answer. I'm pretty sure that most boxers don't go into a fight thinking "hopefully i don't get hit" but its something you live with. There's physical risk in all the other sports out there and everyday life activities. You can't live you're life in a bubble. To sum it up no matter how careful you try to be you'll probably get injured so you might as well be risking your health doing something you like.

4. I don't think there's ever been a great athlete who wasn't motivated by pride to prove someone wrong or his own ego that he's better than everyone writes him off to be. Inorder to become something i believe you gotta have some kinda chip on your shoulder.

5. I think thats just a bad generalization. Most people who love boxing are fans of the technical side of it. If you're watching at home you wanna see an intense competetive fight but you really dont wanna see anyone get injured. So i'd say they like competitive combat more than they do just blatant violence.

6. It wasn't troubled like jail and money problems but i was going thru a patch of some personal bs that everyone goes thru. After some surgeries and all that i just felt that i had to rise up and become something great after all of it. Maybe i saw one rocky movie too many but i felt that boxing was the best way to do that.

7. Alot of mexican and hispanic boxers seem to excel at the lower weightclasses that the only one i can think of thats true.

8. Some are very self confident and i dunno they just look like they've been in the ring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey...

1. Why do you box? I do it because it is one of the only sports I have ever received excessive praise in and felt that I was pretty good at. It is also a great way to stay in shape and sparring is just fun. Since I was a kid boxing has been a big part of my life; I was watching it on TV before I could walk, my father was an amateur boxer and my grandfather was semi pro. It has just always come rather naturally to me and will always be part of who I am.

2. Furthering the first question, what do you want to get out of it? I just hope to improve my boxing ability and enjoy the physicality and competition of the sport. I never hoped to turn pro and win world titles or anything like that; because I have Crohn's disease and was recently diagnosed with cancer, my health has always stopped me from fighting consistently as an amateur. I only have fought four times but intend to fight again. I don't know how to say it, there is just a great rush and sense of accomplishment you get from fighting to your limits and pushing yourself beyond them against someone who is doing the same thing with the intent to knock you senseless. It is like a heightened sense of focus and reality.

3. In your mind why is it worth any inflicted damage during a fight? Every fighter must know when he gets into a ring against another man there is potential for bodily harm or death. It is just something that comes with the territory, and at the end of the day, makes boxing more exciting for the fans. It is an assumed risk. There is no shame in one being hurt or dying doing what one loves to do.

5. Some people say boxers enjoy violence; would you agree with this statement, why or why not? Depends on the level of violence/sadism you are speaking of. Some people would say all human beings enjoy violence on some level. I would not say I enjoy boxing because I am a violent person who wants to beat people up. If I did, I would probably be more inclined to train in MMA and be a bigger fan of the UFC. I enjoy boxing for the competition and the strategy it encompasses. On a counter point, you have to have a little bit of a violent streak in you to want to learn then practice punching people, right?

6. Would you say you have had a troubled past, or one that motivates you to box? If so, and if you don’t mind explaining, how has it motivated you? I dont box because of a troubled past in the sense of coming from poverty or a broken home. I have always boxed out of love for the sport/art of boxing and because of the personal challenge it brings me.

7. Would you say any stereotypes hold true for most (not all) boxers as far as ethnicity, gender, class, and sexuality? Not as many as some people would like to believe. One that I think holds true is that, for the most part (MAB excepted of course), the best fighters come from poverty. If you are given nothing and must fight for everything; it makes you hungrier for victory.

8. Are there any behaviors or actions that only boxers/fighters do? (in other words, something you see a person do and think "that person must box") Many experienced boxers move around with a certain "economy of movement"; their movements are more subtle and precise than your average person. They will move with the smallest amount of motion needed to complete a given task or movement. Sometimes you can see the hunger for competition and the fearlessness in their eyes; especially in an undefeated fighter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey...

1. Why do you box?

I boxed for years,did martial arts,and medieval combat,but now I just train,the joints are more or less completely shot
    But Ill try and awnser
    1)When I grew up it was a completly legit sport,at least we thought it was,why wouldnt you do it?Ive been down and out twice,once when I was 8 and I stepped in to my trainers jab.
    2)Its too complicated,a weird mix of money and pride
    3)Winning is worth everything
    4) If you dont have an ego,your a knockout waiting to happen
    5)I allways enjoyed the thinking part of it,its chess with fists too me.The violence first guys are uuseless to me,they arent smart enough to do it long term
    6)Yes,but it has nothing to do with it
    7)Yes and no.Most true is poor people want it more
    No

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1. Why do you box?

Wanted to learn how to fite cus of my size and never looked back

Health, fitness, respect and glory lol

I don't believe i'll be hurt

Oh ye, you need one if u want the glory, i find it relates to confidence and without confidence ur not going to succeed in any sport

Not at all, i don't see it as violence, i see it more as physical chess

Erm, kinda. But i wouldn't say it motivates me. I guess it did in the beginning becus i wanted to stick up for myself at school

I don't believe in stereotypes in boxing, it a beautiful sport becus once u get in that ring ur not white, black, asian, ur not christian, muslim, buddhist, young or old. ur just a boxer

Not at all

Thread Information