Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The end of Merchant is near?

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    SigmaMu Guest

Default The end of Merchant is near?

I hope this is not true, I like Larry Merchant, and I can't stand Max Kellerman.

Boxing Confidential Exclusive:
    HBO Boxing Voice Larry Merchant Out After 29 Years, Mad Max Promoted!!

Michael Marley
    4/11/2007

I hope this www.boxingconfidential.com scoop turns out to be as wrong as The Chicago Tribune when it headlined that DEWEY BEATS TRUMANi in 1948. But I don't think my story is wrong. It's not what will happen that is in question...it's when it wil occur.

Having given almost 30 years of meritorious service to HBO Sports as its most critical commentator and having been, for most of that time the cable TV conscience of the sport, I don't think Larry Merchant was expecting a gold watch or anything else at the finish line.

And it looks like the HBO has decided that the Merchant of Venom is at the finsh line. What started as faint drumbeats the past few months has gone from a discernable whisper to a ear-spliting scream. Word around boxing is that HBO is negotiating out a buyout of Merchant's contract and that he will be replaced by young Mad Max Kellerman who will be promoted from the HBO "Boxing After Dark" series to full-time service on HBO Championship Boxing and on the network's PPV shows.

A source familiar with the negotiations told me that Merchant has accepted his professional fate like the consummate professional he is and that he is working out an amicable "divorce" from the broadcast giant.

"You will see Larry alongside Jim Lampley for the May 5 Las Vegas Super Fight between Mayweather and De La Hoya and the May 19 Jermain Taylor-Cory Spinks middleweight title bout in Memphis. Merchant may also work the Bernard Hopkins-Winkly Wright fight July 21 in Vegas. But HBO wants to return to the airwaves in September with Mad Max Kellerman sitting alongside Lampley in Merchant's 29-year role," the source said.

I've had my differences with Merchant over the years. Once, while scribbling for The New York Post, I wrote something about HBO bossman Seth Abraham not needing a family pet when he had an in-house parrot namded Merchant. But, despite disagreements, I've always respected Merchant for his sthyle, his candor and his courage to march to his own drummer on many boxing issues and stories. I believe that people generally talk the way they write and vice versa and Merchant was one helluva sportswriter back in the day.

Name another boxing broadcaster who shows more general respect for the fighters. Can you because I can't.

If it's over, Sir Larry, it's been one helluva run. I hope it's not, that HBO would carve out another role for you on their broadcasts, but if that is not the case then know this: you have given your employer more than you've got.

You may not be the HBO Number One boxing commentator much longer but you could always return to being the Write Man.

HBO had better give you a proper on the air sendoff. That's all I am saying right now. We can talk about demographics, ageism and all the rest later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The end of Merchant is near?

I like Max...but I hate to see Merchant go...but it was inevitable.

Max is really knowledgeable & he's also starting to settle in to his spot. He'll do fine & it's time for some new blood to be injected into HBO's veins.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    I like Max...but I hate to see Merchant go...but it was inevitable.

Max is really knowledgeable & he's also starting to settle in to his spot. He'll do fine & it's time for some new blood to be injected into HBO's veins.
    hey...even Bob Barker is going to retire.....
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

See what happens when you punk Frank Warren. I am sure that's what Warren is thinking.

I hate to see Merchant go. I don't like change. Not one bit.

I know there will be a long line of young'un's cheering his dismissal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Max...I thought he was a staple of Friday night fights....But Larry is...Well he is just Larry right or wrong about what he says the guy does not sugar coat much...For snubbing Frank Warren last saturday he will always be one of my top all time announcers....Larry has a personility...Max has knowledge but no real personality to go with it...Kellerman is all business....During boring fights Larry can pass the time
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingGorilla
    See what happens when you punk Frank Warren. I am sure that's what Warren is thinking.

I hate to see Merchant go. I don't like change. Not one bit.

I know there will be a long line of young'un's cheering his dismissal.
    I don't think so...but I am a fan of Kellerman...I will miss Merchant when he goes.....
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Merchant has been this generation's Howard Cosell. Likes to hear himself talk..... can sometimes ramble on and on (sometimes about the oddest topics)........ can come across as arrogant and condescending, even a bit bigoted at times....... BUT........

He'll be missed. Because he's also brutally blunt, sometimes to the point of being comical..... and is not scared to tackle a controversial subject, or put somebody on the spot.

I hope Max fills the void well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

they should just let larry stay on just to talk random shiiiiiit when he wants too in the background ahahha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I cant stand Max Kellerman he annoys the sh@t out of me, i dont know why eaither but he rubs me the wrong way. Merchant is the first person i think of when i think HBO boxing. Id miss him and his ridiculous metaphors but he is 119 years old so i hope he enjoys whats left out there for him.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Merchant he always cracks me up at least once per show. I remeber the Valuev Vs. Barrett fight awhile back, he made a comment that Valuev looked like an oversized bouncer throwing Barrett out of a club....not those exact words, his were actually funny.He never pulls any punches, you gotta respect the man for that, he will say it to your face.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i shall protest this heavily at HBOs forums

you can join me if u like here http://boards.hbo.com/thread.jspa?threadID=700008295

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can't stand larry merchant, but he was colourful. I wanted to punch him numerous occasions while watching him on tv. The old c@nt is so bad he's good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by sexydarin
    I can't stand larry merchant, but he was colourful. I wanted to punch him numerous occasions while watching him on tv. The old c@nt is so bad he's good.
    Exactly!
    Max is okay, but I'm not a huge fan of his.
    When I listen to Max, it's like listening to any other sports broadcast. It just sounds like a formal professional broadcast.
    But listening to Larry is like watching the fight with a drunk uncle or something. You might not agree with everything he says, and he tends to ramble on about the most random shat sometimes.
    But he's family, goddammit!
    That's wmy take, anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LONG LIVE KING LM!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It seems somewhat wrong that the HBO bosses feel Merchant needs replacing whilst ITV seem to be happy with Duke McKenzie

Thread Information