Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roy Jones Jr. at heavyweight WTF!!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Roy Jones Jr. at heavyweight WTF!!

Quote Originally Posted by the phenom
    to be honest an ill gget crap for this ...... imo hes the best EVER ............... yeah u could say he foguht noone but who couldve really beat him when he was ROY ............... nooone all thses guys ppl say he didnt fight when in reality we know he would take there heads off ................ i still think he could take calzaghe at this point
    why would you get crap for speaking the truth man u wont get crap in fact u get a CC from me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I always thought Roy Jones Jr. was an exceptionally good fighter. Great I suppose, but the thing he lacks is a great fight. You cannot compare him to Leonard or Hearns or Hagler or Duran who had those epic fights. That is why those guys are so remembered years later. Hearns especially, the man seems to have several epic fights. Roy Jones never put his all in a fight like Hearns or Hagler did. And that will hurt Roy's legacy. I do not care how awesome you looked putting your hands behind your back and knocking out or down a second tier fighter.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LegendBoxing65
    I always thought Roy Jones Jr. was an exceptionally good fighter. Great I suppose, but the thing he lacks is a great fight. You cannot compare him to Leonard or Hearns or Hagler or Duran who had those epic fights. That is why those guys are so remembered years later. Hearns especially, the man seems to have several epic fights. Roy Jones never put his all in a fight like Hearns or Hagler did. And that will hurt Roy's legacy. I do not care how awesome you looked putting your hands behind your back and knocking out or down a second tier fighter.
    And funny how even when you do have some epic fights and WINS at that, your forgotten and no one really mentions your name.
    Carmen Basilio comes to mind right off the bat, I mean his names mentioned here and there on the rare occasion but for some who fought the best of his time I think hes unappreciated....
    It's mind boggling that this man had 5 back to back 'Fights Of The Year' thats just insane.....

ICB Guest

He never had great fight because he didn't have to get into toe to toe war because he was so damn better than everyone else out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    He never had great fight because he didn't have to get into toe to toe war because he was so damn better than everyone else out there.
    Thank You!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So is the final result of that that he will always have a slightly tainted legacy? I think you can say the same for Floyd Mayweather who just boxes the opponent and never needs to get into the toe to toe wars. He might be far better than some of the people he fought, but I'd still much prefer to see a war than a one-sided boxing exhibition, however good it is. And the worry is that RJJ still thinks he can do it, cause he can't, and he should just go swimming in his vault of gold like Scrooge McDuck.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by superheavyrhun
    So is the final result of that that he will always have a slightly tainted legacy? I think you can say the same for Floyd Mayweather who just boxes the opponent and never needs to get into the toe to toe wars. He might be far better than some of the people he fought, but I'd still much prefer to see a war than a one-sided boxing exhibition, however good it is. And the worry is that RJJ still thinks he can do it, cause he can't, and he should just go swimming in his vault of gold like Scrooge McDuck.
    Well it doesn't matter what people prefer if he can out box someone without getting hit with big shots then i would to wouldn't you ?? to be honest if i was Mayweather or ect i would box and box and box as much as i could in every fight with out getting hit with big shots instead of getting badly injured in toe to toe war i think anyone with good brain on the head would try and avoid toe to toe war as much as they could.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well it doesn't matter what people prefer if he can out box someone without getting hit with big shots then i would to wouldn't you ?? to be honest if i was Mayweather or ect i would box and box and box as much as i could in every fight with out getting hit with big shots instead of getting badly injured in toe to toe war i think anyone with good brain on the head would try and avoid toe to toe war as much as they could.
    I agree totally, it's just that boxers won't be remembered as fondly by fans in 15-20 years cause he was a boxer rather than a warrior, and Gatti will live much longer in my memory as a legend rather than RJJ, even though RJJ was far superior technically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I guess you all can just put me down as another one of roy's "number 1 supporter"

Does anybody know anything about track and field? Well here's a brief history lesson and explanation as to why prime roy jones never had a "great competitive fight".

In 1968 the long jump record was 27 feet 2 inches, then out of nowhere came this guy named Bob Beamon, who took the record from 27 feet to 29 feet bypassing 28 altogether...this is sort like a quantum leap as far as the progression of records and evolution of man goes...

That's what prime roy jones was to the sport of boxing.....
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TheBESTP4P
    to be honest an ill gget crap for this ...... imo hes the best EVER ............... yeah u could say he foguht noone but who couldve really beat him when he was ROY ............... nooone all thses guys ppl say he didnt fight when in reality we know he would take there heads off ................ i still think he could take calzaghe at this point
    why would you get crap for speaking the truth man u wont get crap in fact u get a CC from me!

cc back thanx for the support

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree totally, it's just that boxers won't be remembered as fondly by fans in 15-20 years cause he was a boxer rather than a warrior, and Gatti will live much longer in my memory as a legend rather than RJJ, even though RJJ was far superior technically.

i think ur pretty crazy ................. no ofense .......... but roy is a champ in 5 weight classes and man handled 2 living legends (bernard and toney) ..........Gatti yes exciting but 10 years after he retires u wont hear a word of him ........roy is on alis and tysons and haglers and leanords level of legacies yeah he didnt have excitng fights where he get beat up (well mayb tarver-jones 1) but hes jus that good and matter fact u cant say he doesnt have heart did u see tarver jones 1? he pulled that fight out of his ass and that was a war imo .......

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think ur pretty crazy ................. no ofense .......... but roy is a champ in 5 weight classes and man handled 2 living legends (bernard and toney) ..........Gatti yes exciting but 10 years after he retires u wont hear a word of him ........roy is on alis and tysons and haglers and leanords level of legacies yeah he didnt have excitng fights where he get beat up (well mayb tarver-jones 1) but hes jus that good and matter fact u cant say he doesnt have heart did u see tarver jones 1? he pulled that fight out of his a** and that was a war imo .......
    Sorry mate, but when it comes to what sticks in my memory, it isn't the fighters like RJJ and Mayweather, it's the guys who get stuck in and are in cracking fights, rather than the boxers who are very good at hitting and not getting hit. I expect my own share of stick, which is probably fair, but I'm not a purist, and a boxing masterclass is often a little bit boring. In 15 years time I sure as hell won't be talking about RJJ dominating the fighters of his generation, rather I'll be talking about the exciting battles with Hatton, Gatti, and definitely that last fight between JMM and Barrera. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think ur pretty crazy ................. no ofense .......... but roy is a champ in 5 weight classes and man handled 2 living legends (bernard and toney) ..........Gatti yes exciting but 10 years after he retires u wont hear a word of him ........roy is on alis and tysons and haglers and leanords level of legacies yeah he didnt have excitng fights where he get beat up (well mayb tarver-jones 1) but hes jus that good and matter fact u cant say he doesnt have heart did u see tarver jones 1? he pulled that fight out of his a** and that was a war imo .......
    Sorry mate, but when it comes to what sticks in my memory, it isn't the fighters like RJJ and Mayweather, it's the guys who get stuck in and are in cracking fights, rather than the boxers who are very good at hitting and not getting hit. I expect my own share of stick, which is probably fair, but I'm not a purist, and a boxing masterclass is often a little bit boring. In 15 years time I sure as hell won't be talking about RJJ dominating the fighters of his generation, rather I'll be talking about the exciting battles with Hatton, Gatti, and definitely that last fight between JMM and Barrera. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
    ight less agree to disagree cc^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow people I can see if ROy is fast regardless of whether he is fighting Briggs or Mosley. I can see his punches he isn't that fast, but on that night was faster than he usually was even at light heavyweight, and I don't see how you can explain that one way or another.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TheBESTP4P
    bro ive seen RJJ fight live in person 4 times and when you see him put combos together live in person your like WTF

dude just by the sound he makes while throwing punches you actually hear the air like LOUD as he lands combos with such speed and precision.
    He makes sounds with his mouth like most boxers when he punches. He isn't breaking the sound barrier or anything. Or are you talking about like the wooshing sound of wind? Because I doubt he can do that on his straight punches, but on his combo's sure why not.

Thread Information