Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Some basic history and stuff on the great Frank 'Rocky' Warren..

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Some basic history and stuff on the great Frank 'Rocky' Warren..

He grew up in a council estate in Islington, left school at 15 and worked for his family selling juke boxes and cigarette machines to pubs around London (he was a fan of John Conteh and then big fan of Sugar Ray Leonard), from there he made contacts and ended up promoting underground fights and prize fights in his early 20's until breaking the stranglehold of Duff, Astaire, Lawless, Barrett, BBC etc when the BBBC gave him a license and ITV gave him a few TV slots. He managed and promoted a fighter called Terry Marsh, followed by promoting a few fights for the likes of Dennis Andries and Tony Sibson and then got together a nice little stable of fighters which consisted of Marsh, Gary Stretch, George Collins and Tony Collins, and then in 1988 he ended up bribing Nigel Benn and Barry McGuigan which suddenly made him the country's leading promoter!

But Benn left him, McGuigan retired, and he got shot (Terry Marsh was accused). All in an 18-month period.

He bounced back with Colin McMillan and Tony Collins in the early 90's, but really was small-time compared to Ambrose Mendy, Barry Hearn, Terry Marsh (then his enemy), Frank Maloney, Mickey Duff and Barney Eastwood. He got lucky though when Benn and (Don) King joined forces with him after Benn-Eubank II only because Eubank and Hearn screwed the US Showtime tournament. Warren just got lucky. From there, thanks to Benn and King, everyone signed to him from Naseem Hamed to Frank Bruno to Joe Calzaghe to Ricky Hatton. He had very little competition for 5-10 years, but now there are young promoters hot on his heels like Dennis Hobson and Mick Hennessy.

Warren has always tried to establish the boxers local fan base, putting a lot of work into advertising in his boxers hometowns - even his undercard fighters. Always has done.

As for his top fighters and the 'they need to come to America' argument, he'll say that it's all about TV coverage - purely because he wants his share of ticket sales. He doesn't give a F*** about his fighters legacy, he just wants to make the most money possible for himself, and that goes right the way through to his lowest undercard fighters who are paid pathetically. Any arguments about big fights not being made for his fighters, he'll always say 'Ask TV companies to come up with the money' - again purely because he wants his share of ticket sales. That's how Warren operates.

As for his mental state, the poor guy is obviously very ill and always has been. He hates anybody getting one over on him, and will then try to get one over on them, for example. If your not with him, he hates your guts. If your with him, he doesn't mind you. That's Warren, very strange guy. If you call him a 'prick', he'll take you to court for it and be prepared to fight you to the death in court. If you make the slightest mistake in a claim against him, there'll be court cases galore. I don't know what you call it, but it's clearly F****** ill and I'm certain that he has no true friends.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Some basic history and stuff on the great Frank 'Rocky' Warren..

Gee golly,a promoter with a bad reputation is tied to King
    What a shocker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh and he's got his own box at Highbury.

Wanker.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by WWatt
    Oh and he's got his own box at Highbury.

Wanker.
    Haha, is that WWatt of Smashup?
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He started off as Lenny THE GUV'NOR Mcleans whipping boy

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

just move this to the hidden section as im sure theres a few libleus comments in there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ban me Saddo. Wanker.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ban me Saddo. Wanker.
    Done

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Saddo
    Ban me Saddo. Wanker.
    Done

BA HA HAH AHA HA HA HA HA H AHA H AH AH A AH AH AH AH AH AH AHH AHAH AHAHAH AHA HA AH AH AH!!!!!

'Asketh and you shall receiveth'

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I beleive his first glimse of Boxing was working for Duff. His Box is nice and Hes a good host.More Boxers have had him over than hes had them over, Trust me Frank isnt all bad and he isnt all good.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ban me Saddo. Wanker.
    Done
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

just move this to the hidden section as im sure theres a few libleus comments in there.
    He isn't a prick? I'd like to see that one defended in court

Thread Information