Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun laws in the USA,pros and cons.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Gun laws in the USA,pros and cons.

here's and easy way to remeber the usage of colons and semicolons (is that a hypenated word ) Commas come after an appositvie which is like:

After he got tired of learning about english, (but no space inbetween the first word and the comma) blah blah blah

or

in a list like this: he hates the english language, people who speak it correctly, and even the country itself.

rules for a semicolon are the following: don't use it because no one knows how to actually use it. In other words, find a different way to write what you wanna say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Theres no way London is more violent than most US citys certainly not the major metro Citys .

London is not even the most violent city in the UK Glasgow is .

I cant remember the exact statistics but all the citys in the Uk didnt have as many deaths by Gun violence as Detriot or LA on their own .

Gun crime is bad here and its getting worse but nowhere near as bad as in the States and to prove my point .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP-3_jyCS9Q

El Kabong Guest

Well let's debate this....

Scene #1 (guns are outlawed)

Criminal1: "Hey man, let's get that guy"

Criminal2: "I don't know man, you think he's armed"

Criminal1: "HAHA, guns are illegal dude....let's get him"

Scene 2 (guns are legal)

Criminal1: "Let's get that guy"

Criminal2: "Are you sure? He could be armed!"

Criminal1: "Let's get him you fucking pussy"

Victim: "What would you like on your tombstone?"

Dude Hall of Famer Ty Cobb got mugged once.........ONCE he packed heat and even though it jammed and he got stabbed in the back he still ran down the mother fucker that stole from him and pistol whipped the shit out of him.........then he got stitches and played in the meaningless early season game.

GOD BLESS TYRUS RAYMOND COBB!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    Well let's debate this....

Scene #1 (guns are outlawed)

Criminal1: "Hey man, let's get that guy"

Criminal2: "I don't know man, you think he's armed"

Criminal1: "HAHA, guns are illegal dude....let's get him"

Scene 2 (guns are legal)

Criminal1: "Let's get that guy"

Criminal2: "Are you sure? He could be armed!"

Criminal1: "Let's get him you F****** pussy"

Victim: "What would you like on your tombstone?"

Dude Hall of Famer Ty Cobb got mugged once.........ONCE he packed heat and even though it jammed and he got stabbed in the back he still ran down the mother f***** that stole from him and pistol whipped the S*** out of him.........then he got stitches and played in the meaningless early season game.

GOD BLESS TYRUS RAYMOND COBB!!!!
    "But lyle guns cause dispair in the country not the people who weild them"

El Kabong Guest

....any problem caused by a gun can be fixed by a gun

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign
    well judging from that korean nutter's english skills I dont think cared to much about the conventions of the english language, unless of course this murder spree was caused by his inability to tell the difference between a standard colon and semi-colon. There's a frustrated writer in all of us. In which case I'll stand corrected. For the time being I'm prepared to put it down to him being fucking crazy.
    LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm curious as to where you got your stats from RE Australian gun violence Lyle.

I live in Australia and it's pretty unusual to hear of many shootings here. They do happen but not often and usually not with semi automatics. If anyone is shot it's big news - not something that happens everyday.

I'm glad we have gun laws here. There are plenty of psychos but they usually attempt to hurt people with less powerful weapons which means they don't always succeed.

I understand that guns laws work best in places where the laws have been in place long enough to keep gun numbers down. It'd be hard somewhere like the US to make them effective which already has so many guns out there.

Still if I did live in the US i think I'd be just as likely to accidentally shoot myself of a family member by accident as someone who was actually trying to hurt me so I'd be scared to own one.

A girl in my primary school was playing with a bullet without a gun and still managed to accidentally shoot herself in the foot. Don't ask me how but she did seriously hurt herself.

I grew up in the country where farmers can have guns but only certain types and it's very tightly regulated. No child in the city (most of Australian population) would be able to get hold of a bullet to play with.
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Glad its America's problem not ours.

It must be great to live in the land of the free where your schools get shot up every so offten by the students.

Peolpe get killed every day by guns in the US but a large minority of the US population just stick there head in the sand and think that guns are not the problem.

Balls

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Smashup
    Quote Originally Posted by The_One77
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashup
    FACT!!! at present LONDON is P4P more violent than any city in the US currently.
    Saw it on BBC news while having me breakfast
    This would not have happened if guns were outlawed.

always thought most of london was a shithole (south), glad i gtfo
    No offense :-)

South London is and has always been Bandit Country
    Bum bandit

God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara
    Glad its America's problem not ours.

It must be great to live in the land of the free where your schools get shot up every so offten by the students.

Peolpe get killed every day by guns in the US but a large minority of the US population just stick there head in the sand and think that guns are not the problem.

Well now that guns are banned in Australia and England....no one gets shot right

Yeah that may be a problem with your thinking.....I'd rather have a fair chance to defend myself than be put at a disadvantage

And it's also my CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to own a gun, it's #2 right behind FREE SPEECH in the Bill of Rights.....this means it's kind of important.

I understand your points of view but America ain't Australia or England and we're not going to be ruled by the same laws as you have....we tried that already, which is why we have the right to bear arms to begin with.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla
    I'm curious as to where you got your stats from RE Australian gun violence Lyle.
    http://www.fraserinstitute.ca/shared...sNav=nr&id=570

Gun Laws do Not Reduce Criminal Violence According to New Study
    Contact(s):
    Gary Mauser, Professor
    Simon Fraser University, Tel (604) 291-3652
    Email: mauser@sfu.ca

Click here for the complete publication.

Release Date: November 27, 2003

Vancouver, BC - Restrictive firearm legislation has failed to reduce gun violence in Australia, Canada, or Great Britain. The policy of confiscating guns has been an expensive failure, according to a new paper The Failed Experiment: Gun Control and Public Safety in Canada, Australia, England and Wales, released today by The Fraser Institute.

“What makes gun control so compelling for many is the belief that violent crime is driven by the availability of guns, and more importantly, that criminal violence in general may be reduced by limiting access to firearms,” says Gary Mauser, author of the paper and professor of business at Simon Fraser University.

This new study examines crime trends in Commonwealth countries that have recently introduced firearm regulations. Mauser notes that the widely ignored key to evaluating firearm regulations is to examine trends in total violent crime, not just firearm crime.

The United States provides a valuable point of comparison for assessing crime rates as that country has witnessed a dramatic drop in criminal violence over the past decade – for example, the homicide rate in the US has fallen 42 percent since 1991. This is particularly significant when compared with the rest of the world – in 18 of the 25 countries surveyed by the British Home Office, violent crime increased during the 1990s.

The justice system in the U.S. differs in many ways from those in the Commonwealth but perhaps the most striking difference is that qualified citizens in the United States can carry concealed handguns for self-defence. During the past few decades, more than 25 states in the U.S. have passed laws allowing responsible citizens to carry concealed handguns. In 2003, there are 35 states where citizens can get such a permit.

Disarming the public has not reduced criminal violence in any country examined in this study. In all these cases, disarming the public has been ineffective, expensive, and often counter productive. In all cases, the effort meant setting up expensive bureaucracies that produce no noticeable improvement to public safety or have made the situation worse. Mauser points to these trends in the countries he examined:

England and Wales

Both Conservative and Labour governments have introduced restrictive firearms laws over the past 20 years; all handguns were banned in 1997.

Yet in the 1990s alone, the homicide rate jumped 50 percent, going from 10 per million in 1990 to 15 per million in 2000. While not yet as high as the US, in 2002 gun crime in England and Wales increased by 35 percent. This is the fourth consecutive year that gun crime has increased.

Police statistics show that violent crime in general has increased since the late 1980s and since 1996 has been more serious than in the United States.

Australia

The Australian government made sweeping changes to the firearms legislation in 1997. However, the total homicide rate, after having remained basically flat from 1995 to 2001, has now begun climbing again. While violent crime is decreasing in the United States, it is increasing in Australia. Over the past six years, the overall rate of violent crime in Australia has been on the rise – for example, armed robberies have jumped 166 percent nationwide.

The confiscation and destruction of legally owned firearms has cost Australian taxpayers at least $500 million. The cost of the police services bureaucracy, including the costly infrastructure of the gun registration system, has increased by $200 million since 1997.

“And for what?” asks Mauser. “There has been no visible impact on violent crime. It is impossible to justify such a massive amount of the taxpayers’ money for no decrease in crime. For that kind of tax money, the police could have had more patrol cars, shorter shifts, or better equipment.”

Canada

The contrast between the criminal violence rates in the United States and in Canada is dramatic. Over the past decade, the rate of violent crime in Canada has increased while in the United States the violent crime rate has plummeted. The homicide rate is dropping faster in the US than in Canada.

The Canadian experiment with firearm registration is becoming a farce says Mauser. The effort to register all firearms, which was originally claimed to cost only $2 million, has now been estimated by the Auditor General to top $1 billion. The final costs are unknown but, if the costs of enforcement are included, the total could easily reach $3 billion.

“It is an illusion that gun bans protect the public. No law, no matter how restrictive, can protect us from people who decide to commit violent crimes. Maybe we should crack down on criminals rather than hunters and target shooters?” says Mauser.
    - 30 -

The Fraser Institute is an independent research and educational organization based in Canada. Its mission is to measure, study, and communicate the impact of competitive markets and government intervention on the welfare of individuals. To protect the Institute’s independence, it does not accept grants from governments or contracts for research.

Hope that helps

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

US gun laws were introduced when Guns were still Muskets, they were never meant to apply to the guns of today

Problem is you can never change the law now, because only law obiding people surrender their guns, leaving them defenceless against the scrotes that keep hold of them
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here's an interesting point for you.

In the 1940's and 50's gun ownership was more prevalent. People actually left them inside their vehicles with doors unlocked. There weren't school shootings, lower rape, lower violent crime, lower std's. The difference isn't how many laws about guns. It is how people were raised. People that are raised to fear God feel they are accountable for all their actions, people that are taught there is no God have nothing to fear and no respect for anything other than their own lives and wants and needs.

Do the research yourself, and you will find that every statistic from violence,to drug abuse, suicide, etc.... Has skyrocketed since removing prayer and the mention of a Creator from schools. The stats are undeniable.

The guns aren't the problem. It's the belief of the person holding the gun.
    Hidden Content

My favorite Boxer.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by luvfightgame

In the 1940's and 50's gun ownership was more prevalent. People actually left them inside their vehicles with doors unlocked. There weren't school shootings, lower rape, lower violent crime, lower std's. The difference isn't how many laws about guns. It is how people were raised. People that are raised to fear God feel they are accountable for all their actions, people that are taught there is no God have nothing to fear and no respect for anything other than their own lives and wants and needs.

Do the research yourself, and you will find that every statistic from violence,to drug abuse, suicide, etc.... Has skyrocketed since removing prayer and the mention of a Creator from schools. The stats are undeniable.

Interesting perspective mate

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by luvfightgame

The point being there are more nutters out there so all the more reason to have better gun laws I would think.
    Balls

Thread Information