Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: boxing vs taekwondo

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy D
    You sure it isn't the ancient martial arts of Computer Generated Graphics and Stuntmen and Choreographed Fights that allows that?

Also, ANY history you hear about a martial art that sounds a bit far fetched tends to be far more than a bit far fetched. Not just saying that about Kung Fu, but a lot of the TMAs. Kinda like how the samurai somehow became these honor bound swordsmen sworn to a life of destitution to rid the evils from the world, when in reality they were rich horse archer noblemen.
    a REAL martial artist is a dangerous person! if your like a 9th degree black belt grand master im sure u can fukkk up any opponent out there and kill them in more ways than one if u know what i mean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

BEst p4p you are clearly on a wind up.

Sorry. Kung fu is terribly flawed when it comes to anything really. It sounds great and looks the nuts in choregraphed cinematic stunt sequences but in the real world in my opinon its limited.

Ive posted on here somewhere before that i have had a style vs style match against a black sash wing chun practitioner and it was ridiculously easy. The punches carry 0 power. Yes they are fast and i caught a couple on the way for the throw but they were like pitter patters. After that it was like toying with an untrained child.

I am not one to knock styles and its history is great, it looks fantastic and i'm sure some people make it work for them. Against an average guy with no training it may tip the scales but as far as stacking it up against anything else it falls short IMO

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wasn't Ron van Clief a kung fu stud when Gracie whipped him? Granted times have changed but when you look back at a lot of the old UFC where they had very accomplished traditional martial artist practitioners the fights look nothing like a fight between two highly technically trained fighters.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by VanChilds
    Wasn't Ron van Clief a kung fu stud when Gracie whipped him? Granted times have changed but when you look back at a lot of the old UFC where they had very accomplished traditional martial artist practitioners the fights look nothing like a fight between two highly technically trained fighters.
    dude i aint saying kung fu is the best of the arts. personally id hardly use any kung fu in a real match or street fight. but im just saying alot of the media distorts what true kung fu WAS

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would agree that most of the traditional martial arts have been distorted and lost quite a bit of their origins, but I still feel that there isn't much of a transition from KungFu/TKD/karate to mma or street fighting. There are some definate skills you can pick up from these techniques but as a fighting discipline they don't stand on their own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would agree that most of the traditional martial arts have been distorted and lost quite a bit of their origins, but I still feel that there isn't much of a transition from KungFu/TKD/karate to mma or street fighting. There are some definate skills you can pick up from these techniques but as a fighting discipline they don't stand on their own.
    well like Bruce Lee said: "My form is to have no form!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

wasn't van clief also a hundred years old and retired fighting an in his prime Royce.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If i recall he was in his early fifties, but if you've seen the fight you know the guy was fit. The point is he was on his feet for about 20 seconds. All the years of training were out the door b/c he couldn't keep the fight standing up and was dominated on the ground.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If i recall he was in his early fifties, but if you've seen the fight you know the guy was fit. The point is he was on his feet for about 20 seconds. All the years of training were out the door b/c he couldn't keep the fight standing up and was dominated on the ground.
    that was also only a year after the the US had seen Gracie's and brazillian jiujitsu. no one knew how to defend it, let alone offer up a good counter offense.
    and yes, clief was one fit 50y.o. dude. I hope i'm that fit at that same age. haha.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

it was UFC 4 and I think it was a super fight so he knew he was fighting Royce and he knew that Gracie Jiu jitsu was a ground fighting technique. Whether he watched tape or not is irrelavent. His discipline could not stand alone against BJJ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My humble opinion. . . in a controlled environment (ring or cage - definite bounderies), an experienced TKD practitioner will probably have one chance and ONE chance only to connect a good kick (or a series of kicks) and possibly injure or knock-out a polished boxer. If unsuccessful in that ONE moment, it will be very difficult fro the TKD to defend as the boxwer will cut the range, fight inside and bully the TKD from escaping. The boxer will probably hit the mid section first (a definite weak point for a TKD practitioner), then immediately go upstairs. If the TKD practitioner tries to escape, all the boxer has to do is stick close or bully by blocking and shoving the tkd practitioner back to a defensive position and continue punishing the TKD practitioner. I see this type of fight over in less than 30 secs depending who makes most of his opportunity. But I will place my bet on the boxer because of the probabilities.

If the fight, however, were outside of a controlled environment, the TKD practitioner may have more chances as all he has to do is back up and deliver a kick or move forward with a kicking combination and run away to china to create distance to allow for a second kicking combination. Here I favor the TKD artist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

but look at it this way. u gadge behind the jab and some even hide behind the jab all night.

if you kick to jab its that much more effective and damaging. ive seen competitions where fighters have kicked as in place of the jab all night to win and break their fighters down not even closing the distance where it would be dangerous enough to go toe to toe. now it wasnt the most exciting fights, but highly effective ones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

good point a kicker doesnt have to let anyone get closer than 5 feet to start an attack

Thread Information