Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Froch v Reid in September?

Could be a good domestic scrap this one but i don't see how Reid is in the Cobras sights really
    http://www.sportinglife.com/boxing/n...al_125837.html

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Reid targets Froch

Reid hasnt looked interested for a long time now, going right back to the Ottke fight. He didnt look mentally right for that, ok he got done up good and proper but IMO he allowed it to happen. His team could see what was happening but Reid refused to respond.

If he fought Froch I couldnt see anything other than a second stoppage loss for Robin.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The title of the thread should read : 'Reid targets payday'

Robins long since lost his ambition...and probably just about all the attributes that made him a force at world level.

Don't begrude him trying, like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yes i agree robin is past his best and i think if he takes on the COBRA he will be sent into retirement, Carl wants and needs Calzaghi or Kessler he is in his prime undefeated and can punch his wht

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This sounds like a good fight to me. One last shot for Reid and a payday before he retires whereas for Froch its a decent scalp to have on his record and a decent way to fill some time before he gets the opponents he really wants.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is the same scenario as before the Reid V Magee fight.

Reid fought Magee int he Kings hall in Ireland, decked him 4 times and wan, Robin will fight anyone anywhere.

He fought Nardielo in Italy, Ottke in Germany, Lacy in Florida, Magee in Ireland.

The one thing Reid has is balls, all he needs is some sharpness.

The Lacy, Branco and Ottke fights all came after relative inactivity, if he knuckles down under the promise of a Calzaghe rematch (which warren seems to have promised him) then, I can see him doing Froch.

Froch doesnt like working at a pace and holds his left low, Robin loves the overhand right (which dropped Magee more often than Froch could, lack of sharpness stopped Robin closing the show, Froch should be ashamed he couldnt stop his man earlier) and has good technical skills and a few "old man" tricks as well.

As long as Robin gets himself the right preparation, i could see him beating Froch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross
    This is the same scenario as before the Reid V Magee fight.

Reid fought Magee int he Kings hall in Ireland, decked him 4 times and wan, Robin will fight anyone anywhere.

He fought Nardielo in Italy, Ottke in Germany, Lacy in Florida, Magee in Ireland.

The one thing Reid has is balls, all he needs is some sharpness.

The Lacy, Branco and Ottke fights all came after relative inactivity, if he knuckles down under the promise of a Calzaghe rematch (which warren seems to have promised him) then, I can see him doing Froch.

Froch doesnt like working at a pace and holds his left low, Robin loves the overhand right (which dropped Magee more often than Froch could, lack of sharpness stopped Robin closing the show, Froch should be ashamed he couldnt stop his man earlier) and has good technical skills and a few "old man" tricks as well.

As long as Robin gets himself the right preparation, i could see him beating Froch

Oh yeah a lotta respect for Robin Reid but at this stage i their careers I just think Froch has too much for him. I honestly believe that the cobra is the most dangerous challenger in the division and I think hes the only guy right now with a chance of upsetting Calzaghe or Kessler.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Froch can be dangerous but from what ive seen of him, he doesnt have the fight in him that Calzaghe has proved he has.

Froch is 30 and is still dreaming of the big boys

Joe and Robin were 24 when they wan their world ttiles

I know Robin hasnt done what he used to of late but I know that his style, if given the opportunity to get sharp will nullify Frochs assets

Id like to see Reid ko Catley and sharpen some more against Groenwald or even Ryan Rhodes, fighters around Robins weight that are also promoted by Warren that arent exactly busy and may like a high profile comeback chance.

Robin said in a video from the contender that he sat down with Frank and they agreed on a 4 fight contract, he mentioned Froch and Calzaghe.

From what I could make out, warren will build Robin, get him the shot against Froch, hoping he beats him and then may resurect interest in a Calzaghe V Reid fight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is a clever move by frank warren he promotes reid and if he gets a past an eliminator to fight froch warren can use the old the winner of reid froch will fight joe c route and maybe get to promote that fight too!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross

Froch should be ashamed? he snapped his thumb clean-off at the base with the punch that dropped him in the opener - hardly something to be ashamed about.

The only 'shame' between these is lays at Robin Reid's feet - the diabolical way he dived onto the floor when Lacy retaliated from being headbutted by Reid.

Or the shameful way he called out Froch then ran like the wind when Froch responded - deathly silence in fact.

Froch would unscrew his comedy-eyebrow head inside 9 minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Froch is one fighter that frank warren cant get it hands on as Froch PROMOTER Mick Hennecy REFUSED the offer from warren cos it had hidden options on CARLS career, so the cobra will be frozen out of the picture, till it suits F W, COS AT THE MOMENT THE COBRA would SMOKE calzaghi. and retire robin reid

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CityOfGod
    The only 'shame' between these is lays at Robin Reid's feet - the diabolical way he dived onto the floor when Lacy retaliated from being headbutted by Reid.
    Watch the fight, the ref shouts stop, 4 times, Reid turns his head and argues with the ref, Lacy then turns to the ref also but while Robin is still talking to the ref, Lacy uncorks a right hook on the side of Robins head.

Disgusting behaviour and cowardly, anywhere else in the world and Lacy would probably have been disqualified, what if another Watson, McClellan or any other ring tragedy had occured from Lacy ignoring the refs instructions and wolloping, fool bloodied a man who is listening and concentrating on the refs instructions.

By the way, Frochs career already looks laughable compared to Robins, if your good enough your good enough, if he and his handlers believed in him, why hasnt he yet fought for world honours ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Froch is world class, needs to keep going for better and better oposition, no point even considering Robin Reid. Reid knows he's past it, just loves being in the spotlight.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

British and Commonwealth super middleweight champion Carl Froch has gone under the knife to rectify a long-term ligament problem after WBO champion Joe Calzaghe refused a £1.6 million offer to defend against him this summer.

The undefeated 29-year-old, who should shortly find himself in the WBC number one position, first damaged his right knee around four years ago in training.

A scan at the time revealed that the anterior cruciate ligament was only partially torn and would in all likelihood heal sufficiently naturally, so after a short rest he went on with the business of storming through the 168lb ranks.

The Cobra' however, has remained under ongoing observation after being advised that the ligament remained a potential weak-point and that through continued use the injury could re-occur at some point in the future if not corrected with surgery.

A few tweaks in the knee whilst training recently have convinced him and his team to sort the problem once and for all, especially now that the possibility of a marquee all-British affair against Calzaghe is out of the question before the summer break.

"It's been niggling me for a while now," Froch said of the injury.

"I have felt the odd twinge and it's been there in the back of my mind, but it hadn't caused too much of a problem until about three weeks ago.

"I was doing a bleep test and I felt the same thing happen as four years ago. There was only a little bit of swelling and it had almost healed, but I wanted to remove any room for doubt in the future

"I would have loved to fight Calzaghe in July and could have been ready. I could have gone back into training next week, but I don't think Calzaghe and his team wanted to risk sampling the power of my right uppercut!

"His promoter made an offer to me that I felt was derisory. They also turned down a very generous offer of £1.6 million from my promoter Mick Hennessy, which valued the fight at twice their amount if you work on the standard terms of the split for a purse bid.

"Bearing in mind that there were no options involved, you can make of that what you want.

"I have now heard his hand injury has ruled him out until September anyway, so the fight isn't happening right now.

"I could have fought somebody else in July, but the European title is tied up in politics at the moment and a final eliminator for a world title couldn't be arranged in that time.

"In the absence of a major fight, it made sense to start the summer break early and sort out the injury once and for all."

The unbeaten Froch underwent surgery in Sheffield last week with one of the country's top knee surgeons.

"I took the advice of Nottingham Forests' Steve Devine and Gary Fleming. They've been a God send for me; they are also going to help me with getting back to the top, fitness wise," he added.

"It was a complete success. The surgeon has told me that the new ligament will be stronger than ever before.

"The really big fights are round the corner for me now and I can go into them knowing that everything is 100%. My training won't be restricted from now on; it won't be in the back of my mind.

"I was annoyed at first when this injury reoccurred, but I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. There was a chance it could have gone in a world title fight instead.

"It could have gone against Calzaghe, but now I have had surgery there is no reason that should happen.

"I will start rehab work straight away and can start running on it again in July. My fitness will be phenomenal by the end of September. Hopefully by then the world title situation will be a bit clearer."

There is, however, a domestic matter that Froch would still be happy to clear up.

"By that time, Glen Catley and Robin Reid should have fought their final eliminator for my British Title," he added.

"The winner of that might make for a good final defence of my Lonsdale Belt.

"I see Reid was shouting off the other day, saying he wanted to be the first to demolish me.

"That's a bit rich given that he has been offered the chance to fight me several times. He went Missing In Action when he was offered the opportunity to challenge me earlier this year.

"I have always respected Reid; I always thought he had more class than to say one thing to the press and then not back it up behind the scenes.

"Maybe he's looking for a last payday and he knows I'm the biggest attraction out there. Either way, there is some unfinished business there now."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Steelie
    The title of the thread should read : 'Reid targets payday'

Robins long since lost his ambition...and probably just about all the attributes that made him a force at world level.

Don't begrude him trying, like.
    I can honestly see this fight happening for the simple reason Froch has no World Belt so any fighter in the top 10 at 168, will avoid him like the plauge, unitl he is a mandatory,and Ried is quite a big name, Froch would stop him though aroun 8/9.

Thread Information