Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: throwing combinations while moving forward (or backwards)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default throwing combinations while moving forward (or backwards)

When Im shadow boxing it feels really awkward to throw combos when moving forwards.
    It feels unnatural and I'm pretty sure thats how it looks too.
    Basically I have trouble with the footwork, how can you twist the hips and swivel on your back foot when your feet are moving??
    The same problem is with moving backwards aswell.

This is a major problem that I need to fix, I'm not gonna spar again until this is sorted.
    Any helpful(Von Milash!) explanation or tips appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: throwing combinations while moving forward (or backwards)

i dont know much but u should try throwing combos as u jog
    maybe even try to jog backwards and throw combos as ur doing it
    u might look silly tho lol

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You havent mastered the basics sounds like thats the problem. Movement of feet, theres many ways to try ,your problem is moving the front foot first when going forward making the feet to wide then you reach to compensate with your punches losing balance as you do also notbeing to move back because youre of balance. The best way you could try to help the problem is get some elastic rope and tie your feet the same width as the shoulders and practice foot movement. Getting use to moving the back foot to go forward and the front to go back or go to the thread you want fast feet theres a couple on there.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi Scrap,

I was wearing a stretch band tied on my ankles a month or so ago to make sure remembered to bring my back foot up when I moved foreward. I thought it was pretty good but then started to think I was making the step with my front foot too small because I had to fight the resistance band to move it foreward. Ever had this problem? Suggestions on how to fix it?
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What youre telling me sounds like you havent got the concept. The front foot is there for balance and direction the back foot is your distance, when throwing punches the nearer the head to the back foot the better otherwise your chin is nearer the thing thats trying to hit you throwing a long shot you cant make the fist go any furher from your chin if thrown correct. What people do is reach giving poor balance by leaving the back foot behind and all there weight on the front foot, now knowing the law of psyhics it tells you thats not a good place to be when theres something hard coming your way and the law of gravity is not what it should be in relation to where you are and the biomechanics arent in a position to assist the problem. Theres a how to do stance thread been put up, its wrong in my eyes you dont move the front foot first to go forward you slightly lift it and push of the back foot otherwise you lose oral stability, lose that your lost. Hope that makes sense just woke up

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Right thanks Scrap - was a good explanation . I think I have been sort of steering my whole body head first a bit. Perhaps not good to put that extra pressure on my left knee either.

I guess it'll take some serious reprogramming to correct when I think about it. My sense of distancing will probably all change. Better to find out now rather than later though thanks Scrap.
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thanks scrap, when I get a chance I will definetely try the elastic rope thing.
    Just to clarify tho, if I want to throw a 1-2 while coming forwards is this the correct way:

Lift front foot and push off with the back (to step forward)
    At the moment my front foot lands throw the jab
    Slide back foot to shoulders width again
    Once the back foot is in position throw the straight right (twist at the hips, swivel back foot)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

its all done at the same time Alla , Holmes Leanord, Young Tyson, all had the technique and it craetes good posture to avoid and gives balance to throw combos and the ability to change direction. The deteriation in Tyson came as his feet got wider and he started to reach.

Thread Information