Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My humble opinion of Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default My humble opinion of Floyd Mayweather Jr.

For those of you who truly believe that Floyd Mayweather Jr is the best fighter today and one of the best of all time you really do not know much about boxing and have obviously have been cought up in the hype of Floyd Mayweather Jr. He has avoided all of the top guys in all of the weight divisions he has supposedly conquered, was quite obviously beaten by a passed-it, war weary and older Oscar De Le Hoya for the first 9 rounds of the fight, was out-worked AND out-muscled by a strong Jose Luis Castillo (a fight only taken because Castillo was seen as an easy fight for Floyd). Don't get me wrong, Floyd mayweather is an extremely skilled athlete with unbelievable hand speed and split-second reflexes but to call him the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world is quite rediculous, let alone of all-time. Fighters such as Hearns or Leonard would have shown far too much heart for a quick, but not quite as quick mayweather.
    I think if Floyd Mayweather was to fight a Ricky Hatton (another almost great but untested fighter) at light-welter he would be in for a tough nights work..imagine a castillo like fight but with a bigger, stronger, more aggressive castillo.
    I agree that Floyd would probably dominate with his speed and slickness against a Margorito but would again come unstuck against someone like shane mosley (although past his peek, after seeing him completely dominate luis collazo in his last fight i believe he would be a tough fight for Mayweather).
    This may be a big statement to make but it is fighters like Floyd Mayweather that have ruined boxing by refusing to fight the other top fighters in the division whilst still in their prime. Go back 10-15 years for example, the top fighters in the world were JC Chavez, Pernell Whittaker, Oscar De La Hoya, Felix Trinidad and shane mosley...and tell me..how many memorable battles did they have? How many hard-fought wars did they have? How many other top fighters did they tak a chance against?...Now..compare what they have done for boxing to what Floyd Mayweather has done for boxing and then tell me he is the best fighter in the world!
    These are all my own opinions which I have formed on my own from hours of watching tapes and training in gyms. Ofcourse everyone is entitled to their own opinion and beliefs about the matter and I am open to hearing them so please reply with your own views. Thanks for taking the time to read this blog, Ross

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: My humble opinion of Floyd Mayweather Jr.

i am sorry if delahoya fought anyone else yesterday he wouldve killed them he was in shape and on point ..... did u see how fast and strong he looked? and he had great defense dont bring me that "o his old " hes still fucking good and floyd did a greatjob of following his gameplan .... u cant pa atention to thos lil fluries cuz although they looked strong they slipped ..... and the punches that did land hurt floyd and knoced his head back .... this is 154 u have to giv floyd credit he didnt carry much power till later rounds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

valid point..de la hoya was in shape, didnt seem affected by age and definately rocked mayweather a couple of times. I couldn't help but noice the flurries by De La Hoya because they were the only meaningful punches thrown in the whole fight...Floyd just seemed far too negative to have got the decision but i agree, you have to pay him his dues for haning in their with a skillful strong and bigger man like De La Hoya. Thanks for the reply

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your humble opinion is garbage nice second post hater.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I also like how you state your opinions like they are facts..nice try.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am starting to fell bad for Floyd , I mean what does he have to do He wasnt too cocky ...I said too cocky..It just seems like he can do no right for some people...Dont hate the player hate the game. Floyd deserves praise right now and everyone is shit talking..poor guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross_w
    For those of you who truly believe that Floyd Mayweather Jr is the best fighter today and one of the best of all time you really do not know much about boxing and have obviously have been cought up in the hype of Floyd Mayweather Jr. He has avoided all of the top guys in all of the weight divisions he has supposedly conquered, was quite obviously beaten by a passed-it, war weary and older Oscar De Le Hoya for the first 9 rounds of the fight, was out-worked AND out-muscled by a strong Jose Luis Castillo (a fight only taken because Castillo was seen as an easy fight for Floyd). Don't get me wrong, Floyd mayweather is an extremely skilled athlete with unbelievable hand speed and split-second reflexes but to call him the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world is quite rediculous, let alone of all-time. Fighters such as Hearns or Leonard would have shown far too much heart for a quick, but not quite as quick mayweather.
    I think if Floyd Mayweather was to fight a Ricky Hatton (another almost great but untested fighter) at light-welter he would be in for a tough nights work..imagine a castillo like fight but with a bigger, stronger, more aggressive castillo.
    I agree that Floyd would probably dominate with his speed and slickness against a Margorito but would again come unstuck against someone like shane mosley (although past his peek, after seeing him completely dominate luis collazo in his last fight i believe he would be a tough fight for Mayweather).
    This may be a big statement to make but it is fighters like Floyd Mayweather that have ruined boxing by refusing to fight the other top fighters in the division whilst still in their prime. Go back 10-15 years for example, the top fighters in the world were JC Chavez, Pernell Whittaker, Oscar De La Hoya, Felix Trinidad and shane mosley...and tell me..how many memorable battles did they have? How many hard-fought wars did they have? How many other top fighters did they tak a chance against?...Now..compare what they have done for boxing to what Floyd Mayweather has done for boxing and then tell me he is the best fighter in the world!
    These are all my own opinions which I have formed on my own from hours of watching tapes and training in gyms. Ofcourse everyone is entitled to their own opinion and beliefs about the matter and I am open to hearing them so please reply with your own views. Thanks for taking the time to read this blog, Ross

Sorry must have been getting caught up in the hype of a 38-0 record and six world championships across five weight clasess Say what you want about him dodging whoever. You dont get to that stage without having something about you. Put your bias and dislike for the man aside and you might see that.
    "Run along dear, man talk" James Bond, 007, Goldfinger(1964)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And I am sick of hearing oh he dodge so and so The fight with DLH was what everyone wanted and just cause he beat him, DLH was "past it" or "unfit". Bullshit. It will be the same story if he fights Mosley and wins. Mosley will be too old and tired and there will be someone else you will be saying would beat him. Get over it, the mans a very good fighter.
    "Run along dear, man talk" James Bond, 007, Goldfinger(1964)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oscar was overtrained. IMO He looked drained and lacked the eye of the tiger ala Vargas and Mayorga. ODLH is yesterday's news. Can we move on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

valid point..de la hoya was in shape, didnt seem affected by age and definately rocked mayweather a couple of times. I couldn't help but noice the flurries by De La Hoya because they were the only meaningful punches thrown in the whole fight...Floyd just seemed far too negative to have got the decision but i agree, you have to pay him his dues for haning in their with a skillful strong and bigger man like De La Hoya. Thanks for the reply
    My humble opinion is that you're too biased,and DLH was missing all night,he caught Floyd with some due to the fact that he threw a lot of punches that Floyd clearly slipped ,but he's human he had to get caught once in a while.Just give credit where its due and go to another forum with your "DLH iz da BEST!!!!" bitching cause he lost to the best boxer in the world right now.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oscar wasnt in shape and knew it. Doesnt box enougth these days contests I mean, looked his age.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh, and to reply to Irish rover... I have very little dislike for Floyd mayweather, in fact I actually quite like him. On reflection I supose my issue is more about the state of the management teams of the boxers for being more interested in making the most in TV deals and keeping unbeaten records unbeaten... nobody woulg think any less of Floyd Mayweather if he fought another unbeaten fighter (a Ricky Hatton or a Cotto) win or lose...if he gave his all and showed his heart if, for one, would think no less of him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes i agree with this quote totally, im sick and tired of hearing people big mayweather up like hes an all time great, why is he retiring now when there is still plenty of unbeaten talent in there prime still waiting to fight him? the only way he will earn my respect is if he deals with the champions of today, not yesterday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

valid point..de la hoya was in shape, didnt seem affected by age and definately rocked mayweather a couple of times. I couldn't help but noice the flurries by De La Hoya because they were the only meaningful punches thrown in the whole fight...
    You must have been watching a different fight...because Floyd ate Oscar alive with a right hook repeatedly during the entire fight.

Oscar lost...legit.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Floyd is a great fighter, but i don't know about the best of this era. De la Hoya was definitely in shape, but i don't think he fights frequently enough, and he hasn't been really accurate as of lately, he missed a slow Ricardo Myorga alot when he fought him. The bottom line is he lost, and Mayweather's gameplan worked. They are both very skilled.

Thread Information