Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who stands the most realistic chance of beating Floyd Mayweather?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who should PBF fight next? Fighters that you think can beat PBF....

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who should PBF fight next? Fighters that you think can beat PBF....

Shane at 147. Everything else is secondary

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by albsur2006
    I wanted to see him fight Ricky Hatton at 147, but honestly, that's just because I believe it will be a brutal beating for Hatton. He SHOULD fight Mosley because I want to see Floyd push himself. I like Floyd but as of late I've been getting frustrated with him. He clearly beat ODLH but I feel like if he stepped it up a bit in the last four rounds and put some punches together, he could have stopped ODLH. If he doesn't put in more work against Mosley, I actually believe that Mosley will win and possibly knock Floyd out. It's too bad that Mosley didn't take the fight in February because now I think that Floyd is probably holding a grudge against Mosley. I don't really blame him either, Mosley really has been ducking Floyd for years and now his old a** wants to cash in.
    I dont think Mosley is avoiding Floyd . If anything its the other way round . Shane will fight anyone . Nobody wanted Collazo . Nobody would give Winky a shot . Vernon is a nightmare but Shane fought those guys and he also beat Oscar twice , the first time much more convincingly than Floyd id against an older version

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd prefer to see him fight Mosley in late '07, and then fight someone out of Cotto/Margarito/Williams in '08.

However, I wouldn't mind seeing Floyd fight Hatton IF it's in the UK. I think Floyd wins easily, but I'd like to see that, just because it would be such a huge event.
    Hell if Calzaghe can draw 35,000 fans in Wales to fight a stiff like Manfredo, what do you think Hatton/Floyd could draw in Britain..... 60,000..... 75,000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And a rematch with Oscar Dela Hoya... If he can beat Dela Hoya people like Magaritto and Cotto won't be a challenge because Oscar is better, faster, and hits harder than both those guys along with him being able to train with one of the best coaches in the world and Shane Mosley. I can't see Oscar winning a rematch nor can I see Margaritto or Cotto being Mayweather as competitive a fight, however I think Mosley might be able to do it. Fighters with speed have been Mayweather's biggest problem, and Mosley definitely brings more speed than anyone else out there to the table along with good power, good skills. I think Mayweather would win, but it would a good fight at welterweight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Firstly let me say that I do NOT think Floyd Mayweather is going to retire. He might go on a well-deserved hiatus, having made plenty money and just won the biggest fight ever, but he is not gone for good. That man is born to fight, its all he's known, and once the dust settles he'll miss the competetive buzz that he got from fighting and come back for more. No doubt about it.

But it could be a while before he comes back, which leaves us plenty of opportunity to speculate as to who might be the one who can beat the pretty boy. Who's got the right style to put a 1 on Mayweather's record? I pick Ricky Hatton or Shane Mosley. Floyd didn't like being put under pressure by De La Hoya against the ropes, and although De La Hoya is much bigger than Hatton, Hatton is a total pressure fighter. He'd have to fight like he did against Kostya Tszyu, but I think his style gives Mayweather nightmares. Ricky leaves FLoyd no room to work by constantly marching him down and out-punching him. The other pick is Shane Mosley. Shane has the handspeed and reactions, even at 35 years old, to elude Floyd's pot-shotting and trickey. He's the only man out there who can match Mayweather in terms of skill, he wont let himself be outboxed in the centre of the ring like Oscar was the other night. He has a fast flickering jab and big power, he could hurt Floyd.

Those guys would both start underdog, no doubt, but on their day they could do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I voted other.
    What I mean by that... Mosley could have given him a very good fight in his prime, but he's not in his prime anymore.
    Hatton, Margarito, Cotto.... they just don't have the speed. Floyd outboxes all of them.

I actually think that Paul Williams has the body type to bother Floyd with his height and reach (similar to Forrest against Mosley) but Williams is way too raw at this point.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

By any means Am I saying he would beat PBF but what would you say to a Simms vs. PBF at 154?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Winky Wright.

Mosely would have had a shot 6 years ago. I'm not so sold on the new Mosely. He looked great against a punching-bag version of Vargas. His win over Collazo proved more to me, but Collazo's not a great fighter. And Shane did look slower than he used to. (Still fast, mind you, but no longer fast enough to create real problems for Mayweather.)

Of the younger guys, I think Cotto's the only one with any shot at making a fight of it. But I can't see him winning. I wouldn't mind seeing Cotto-Oscar though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMicK
    By any means Am I saying he would beat PBF but what would you say to a Simms vs. PBF at 154?

Hey, that's a good call Mick. I'd love to see Simms against top competition. I've only seen the Rivera fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would favor Winky against FLoyd at 154.

But I don't see that fight ever happening. Winky is too far up in weight at this point to come all the way down to 154.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMicK
    By the way the name just popped into my head and I thought it'd be worth a mention.
    I just realized Simms is 36 I thought he was younger, sad to see he missed out on some 3 years.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anyone Floyd faces,he will always be hot favourite because his defence and speed is so awesome.

i DISAGREE with those that think Mosley can beat him.Far too many technical flaws which were resolved at lighter weights via his speed and power. Floyd would counter him again and again and again over that lazy jab,Shane can't fight going backwards and he can't deal with a jab.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea
    I voted other.
    What I mean by that... Mosley could have given him a very good fight in his prime, but he's not in his prime anymore.
    Hatton, Margarito, Cotto.... they just don't have the speed. Floyd outboxes all of them.

I actually think that Paul Williams has the body type to bother Floyd with his height and reach (similar to Forrest against Mosley) but Williams is way too raw at this point.
    The speed issue is interesting,I disagree. Zab and Oscar are 2 of the fastest fighters around yet who still gave Floyd his toughest fight...one of his slower opponents,JLC.

If people are going to score fights on activity as opposed to clean punches, ring generalship etc(like some Oscar fans did for this fight) and if the judges love activity so much,I say Margarito gives Floyd hell. Floyd is 10 times faster,would be favourite but Tony is like a bigger JLC,throws way way more and is just as tough. Floyd's activity levels aren't that high and he does not throw in combinations like he used to,so TOny will be able to take what's coming back. Margarito has a decent jab when he uses it,and his long reach would make it hard for Floyd. He's also decent at cutting off the ring.

It could resemble a Ponce De Leon v Penelosa scenario whereby the slick guy lands better punches,the other guy throws shedloads more and I DO admit that Floyd would be HOT favourite to win but all I'm saying is styles make fights and Tony's style would make it hard for Floyd to score his points.

Winky at 154 would definitely beat him,the jab would control Floyd' speed and Floyd's only chances to land would be to counter but Wright's defence is so tight.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    And a rematch with Oscar Dela Hoya... If he can beat Dela Hoya people like Magaritto and Cotto won't be a challenge because Oscar is better, faster, and hits harder than both those guys along with him being able to train with one of the best coaches in the world and Shane Mosley. I can't see Oscar winning a rematch nor can I see Margaritto or Cotto being Mayweather as competitive a fight, however I think Mosley might be able to do it. Fighters with speed have been Mayweather's biggest problem, and Mosley definitely brings more speed than anyone else out there to the table along with good power, good skills. I think Mayweather would win, but it would a good fight at welterweight.
    I don't think today's Mosley has it. A pre-Forrest WW Mosley would make for a great fight.

If Winky came back down to 154, that would be a tough one. I'd actually like to see the Cotto fight too. That's the only one that would take away the Floyd-hater excuse of "he was old and past his prime" (though I think that excuse would be true in the case of Mosley).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Simms would be dam tough for Floyd but I've only seen 1 fight form Simms,and as AWESOME as he looked,I can't just use that.Anyone seen any more of him? Does he always look as good as he did against Rivera?!

I'm not sure if Cotto could beat PBF,he would certainly have to land the hooks to body regularly but Floyd may be too fast for him. I'd have to see more of Cotto at 147,I mean v Quintana he cut off the ring,jabbed and the bodyshots were awesome. I think he could definitely hurt Floyd to the body.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea
    I would favor Winky against FLoyd at 154.

But I don't see that fight ever happening. Winky is too far up in weight at this point to come all the way down to 154.
    Maybe. But it's not like he's going to lose any water-weight for the 170 weigh-in. He'll come into the B-Hop fight at the same weight he came into his middleweight fights. And he's really only been above 154 for what, his last 3 fights (including the upcoming B-Hop fight)? I think he could do it. And he talked a lot before the fight (and granted before the Hopkins fight came about) about how the fight he most wanted was against the winner of PBF-ODH. But even though I'm a Floyd fan, that's one I could see Floyd really ducking.

Thread Information