www.thesweetscience.com

2004 U.S. Olympian Jason “Big Six” Estrada is back in action May 11 on “The Pride Is Back” card at Twin River Event Center in Lincoln, Rhode Island.

Estrada (8-1, 1 KO), fighting out of Providence, takes on heavyweight Robert Hawkins (21-7, 7 KOs), only five weeks after Jason pitched a shutout against veteran Zack Page (13-11-1), winning a six-round decision (60-54 three times) on ESPN2 Friday Night Fights.

Hawkins has beaten Boris Powell, Gary Bell, Robert Wiggins and the late Jerry Ballard, as well as been in against Oleg Maskaev, David Tua, Samuel Peter and Kevin Johnson.

“I don’t care who he’s fought,” Estrada said. “I just hope that he shows up. A lot of guys have pulled out of fights against me. I won’t believe I’m fighting him until I see him in the ring. I guess, in a way, it’s a compliment (opponents pulling out), but it’s difficult because I can’t work on one strategy. But I’ve been training hard and I’ll be ready May 11.

“I felt stronger and lighter in my last fight (career low of 239 pounds). I’m going to be fighting at 240 or lighter from now on. I fought six rounds and could have gone another six if I needed to. I’m confident now that I can be strong the entire fight, no matter if it’s six, eight, 10 or 12 rounds. I want to stay active. I’m more motivated fighting every 5-6 weeks compared to being out three months. I just have to be injury free to stay busy. My body feels great.”

Estrada-Hawkins is a six-round co-feature on “The Pride Is Back,” headlined by the return of “The Pride of Providence” Peter Manfredo, Jr. (26-4, 12 KOs) in the 10-round main event against Ted Muller (19-10-2, 9 KOs).

Estrada, 26, has been friends with Manfredo for 10 years. They both workout of Manfredo’s Gym, which is owned by Peter’s father, Peter, Sr., in Pawtucket (RI).

“The only one missing is Matt (Godfrey),” Estrada explained. “We all started boxing together years ago as amateurs. (Godfrey is the No. 3 rated cruiserweight in the world). It’ll be nice someday to have all three of us fighting on the same card in a big show. I’ve known Peter since I walked into the gym when I was six. It’s going to be great fighting together again on May 11.

Estrada was one of the most celebrated amateur boxers in U.S. history, registering a remarkable 261-14 record in the United States, including an unprecedented three consecutive triumphs in the U.S. Nationals and U.S. Challenge (2001-2003). He captured a gold medal at the 2003 Pan-American Games and represented the U.S. in the 2004 Olympics.
—from release