Thread: A SMASHUP EXCLUSIVE -- Wayne Rooney to lead Hatton into Castillo battle

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default A SMASHUP EXCLUSIVE -- Wayne Rooney to lead Hatton into Castillo battle

This is gonna go down well with Man City fans

Ricky Hatton has asked Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney to carry his belt into the ring in Las Vegas next month when the Briton defends his IBO world light-welterweight title against Jose Luis Castillo.

The 28-year-old Hatton, a big fan of United's fierce rivals Manchester City, will fight Mexican Castillo on June 23 in the Thomas & Mack Centre in Vegas, hoping to stretch his professional record to 43 win and no defeats.

Rooney, whose father won amateur boxing titles and whose uncle runs a gym, will be in Vegas to support Hatton with fellow United players Ryan Giggs, Wes Brown and John O'Shea and 8,000 fans from Britain.

"I know Wayne is a big boxing fan and I used to box for England with his uncle Richie," Hatton told reporters at a London news conference to announce a Setanta Television deal for the Castillo fight.

"When I knew he was going to be there it seemed like a good idea to ask him to carry in my belt. I'll have a Scouser carrying in my belt.

"He was made up about it, really delighted. A few of the United lads were in the gym last week but none of them wanted to get into the ring with me."

Hatton will be making his third appearance in the States after reclaiming his IBO light-welterweight title against Juan Urango in January and beating Luiz Collazo for the WBA welterweight title a year ago.

Both of those victories were unconvincing, but Hatton believes the dangerous Castillo will bring out the best in him.

"I've really got the bit between my teeth for this fight," Hatton said. "I'm getting the same sort of feeling I had before I fought Kostya Tszyu.

"My last two opponents were awkward southpaws and were not the easiest fighters to look good against. To be perfectly honest, I'm due a good display.

"I will be straight on the front foot against Castillo who is one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world. I can't wait to get out to Vegas, it has got such a buzz about it.

"I want this to be the kind of fight that is talked about for years to come."

Hatton also said he would like the chance to meet Floyd Mayweather Jr, should the American rethink his decision to quit after beating Oscar De La Hoya to win the WBC super welterweight title on Saturday.

"It all depends on him really," said Hatton. "I've got the style to beat him.

"De La Hoya will be kicking himself when he watches the video because he handed Mayweather the fight by taking his foot off the gas."

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: A SMASHUP EXCLUSIVE -- Wayne Rooney to lead Hatton into Castillo battle

Hope his belts safe in the hands of a very fast scouser

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: A SMASHUP EXCLUSIVE -- Wayne Rooney to lead Hatton into Castillo battle

LOL

Surely any self repecting City fan would not have this
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed,the Staunch fans at City will be far from impressed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well I'm a scouser and a United fan (and part time judas ) and this is quality news for me and I'm made up, adds a proper edge to the occasion.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by yoitsdan
    Well I'm a scouser and a United fan (and part time judas ) and this is quality news for me and I'm made up, adds a proper edge to the occasion.
    as I've told you before Dan, me too!

I think Ricky felt his belt should be carried by a fellow champion, not much any City player would know about. (oooooh, I went there! )

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Barrera is walking Rick to the ring too I read. He was also going to ride in on a donkey with a sombrero on for his Mexican fans too but found out he has an allergy lol.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hahahaha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by yoitsdan
    .....................eeeeeehhh........?

Never in all my life..............

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Smashup
    hahahaha
    Yeah man, his face blew up and everything..........better to find out now than fight night though eh?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is gonna go down well with Man City fans
    What would you rather have DeMarcus Beasley carry the belt for him?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I guess there will probably be a lot of Brits who fly over for the fight. But no American boxing fan is going to have any idea who Wayne Rooney is. Most Americans have never seen a soccer ("football") match.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mate there will probably be more English at the TM than Americans.
    8000 are set to invade and drink it dry

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mate there will probably be more English at the TM than Americans.
    8000 are set to invade and drink it dry
    Wow. Are you going?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wish
    It's hard for me to get into the US of A due to a lively youth
    Have to get a waiver entry form etc

Thread Information