Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  13

Poll: Who wins this hypothetical match?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rocky Marciano vs James Toney

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Rocky Marciano vs James Toney

JTRock said this would be an interesting topic for debate and keeping that in mind I have made this thread.

These guys are both old school battlers and it would be a fight you could have in a phone booth as neither man backed down much.

How do you see it happening?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Rocky Marciano vs James Toney

rocky ko -10--he would beat that tub of lard just like he did cockell

El Kabong Guest

I think Toney's defense would work well enough to keep him on his feet for the most part but he'd get the shit beat out of him because Rocky never stopped beating anyone up

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rocky eventually breaks Toney down with body work. Great fight, and would have love to seen it, if it were possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

this would be a mismatch. seriously. as u may have gathered by now im not a biased person.

i think ames Toney would give Rocky Marciano a boxing lesson! and maybe in the later rounds stop him. if the fight takes place below 200pounds then i see rocky getting to the final bell if its a 12 rounder. if its a fight over 200 pounds then toney by ko becos in my opinion toney punched alot harder at HW than CW.

i have studied both fighters and imo toney has awesome defensive skills which are all wrong for the rock. i see this fight similar to toney jirov although i think toney would occasionally move back and land some big bombs. however the rock is always dangerous, with a murderous right hand. still i think toney has the chin and the defense to get thru anything the rock throws!

this is not samuel peter we're tlking about here, toney is bigger than marciano. taller and has a longer reach.
    still this would be an amazing fight if it was possible to happen! You guys jus dont know how good toney is if you think he'll get stop, he is one of the few fighters have studied and tyson, and im in awe of their boxing skill/defensive cunningness. Toney is too much for the rock....imo

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart Lacy
    this would be a mismatch. seriously. as u may have gathered by now im not a biased person.

i think ames Toney would give Rocky Marciano a boxing lesson! and maybe in the later rounds stop him. if the fight takes place below 200pounds then i see rocky getting to the final bell if its a 12 rounder. if its a fight over 200 pounds then toney by ko becos in my opinion toney punched alot harder at HW than CW.

i have studied both fighters and imo toney has awesome defensive skills which are all wrong for the rock. i see this fight similar to toney jirov although i think toney would occasionally move back and land some big bombs. however the rock is always dangerous, with a murderous right hand. still i think toney has the chin and the defense to get thru anything the rock throws!

this is not samuel peter we're tlking about here, toney is bigger than marciano. taller and has a longer reach.
    still this would be an amazing fight if it was possible to happen! You guys jus dont know how good toney is if you think he'll get stop, he is one of the few fighters have studied and tyson, and im in awe of their boxing skill/defensive cunningness. Toney is too much for the rock....imo
    I get what you're saying, but no way ever does Toney KO Rocky. Rocky has eaten alot more leather from harder hitters and was never KOd. Toney wouldn't do it either. If anyone gets KOd, it's Toney 4 sure.

El Kabong Guest

I really don't see the reach playing a factor and considering that most of Toney's power punches were not so quick once he was heavier....they were rounded (a lot like his body) looping punches.....effective but just as easy for someone to roll with them and he rolled with hooks.

Also with James Toney's defense it would be hard to counter a guy who kept coming at him and kept throwing a la Foreman-Holyfield....George used the cross block and it sapped his ability to counter.

It would be a good tough fight though, far tougher than Toney-Jirov

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Toney pretty much stands in front of you and slips punches and bends at the waist and blocks punches with arms, and anybody standing in front of Marciano would eventually get hammered into the canvas, and the way Marciano pounded your arms and shoulders, this would get ugly for Toney. Marciano wears Toney down and knocks him silly!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rocky's tenacity and grittiness would overcome Toney's spurts.

ICB Guest

Marciano by brutal tko.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dont know about Marciano... The shape Toney was in against Holyfield, he would be able to Absorb the Rocks punches, Toney has sneaky speed and counters, Rocky used to Pony Express in his punches and you cant do that VS Toney he will pick you apart, not to mention the counters coming back at Marciano... even tho a steam roller keeps coming dosent mean I cant repeatedly get out of the way....

Toney is a Bona Fied Bad Azz and just an Old School tough Guy... With a mean streak and a ton of Pride, Know one KO'S James Toney.... Not even Rocky Marciano

No way Rocky Hits harder than Sam Peter, I would fancy Sam Peter to beat Marciano if they fought

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart Lacy

archie moores defensive skills were also suppose 2b 2 much for marciano---didnt work--

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JT Rock
    I dont know about Marciano... The shape Toney was in against Holyfield, he would be able to Absorb the Rocks punches, Toney has sneaky speed and counters, Rocky used to Pony Express in his punches and you cant do that VS Toney he will pick you apart, not to mention the counters coming back at Marciano... even tho a steam roller keeps coming dosent mean I cant repeatedly get out of the way....

Toney is a Bona Fied Bad Azz and just an Old School tough Guy... With a mean streak and a ton of Pride, Know one KO'S James Toney.... Not even Rocky Marciano
    No way Rocky Hits harder than Sam Peter, I would fancy Sam Peter to beat Marciano if they fought
    well james toney has never been hit with a punch as hard as rockys overhand right--marciano would wear toney down then late ko

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think HW Toney would play right into Marciano's hands. Eventually Marciano would break him down IMO. I could see Toney winning on cuts in the mid rounds due to his sharp counter punching, but I'd have to take Marciano in a HW bout.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why are these marciano fights so hard to pick? Marciano hits really hard but toney has an ATG chin and great defense i'm actually going with toney by UD on this one.

Thread Information