Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Fights Are Alot Harder To Make These Days Don't You Agree ??

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default Re: Big Fights Are Alot Harder To Make These Days Don't You Agree ??

Quote Originally Posted by Nium
    McCallum wanted Hagler, Hagler didn't want McCallum. A lot of die hard fans wanted Marvin to take on McCallum

Nunn wanted Benn in early 89 because Benn (along with Ambrose Mendy) was big, big news and a household name in Britain and thee perfect rival, but Benn didn't want Nunn until the offer was $5million
    As i said again I don't think Hagler would of ducked Mccallum and was Mccallum willing to move up to Middleweight because neither guy was moving down or up so it couldn't of happened end of.

And i have already said why Benn vs Nunn didn't happen.

And again i will say yes maybe some great fights could of happened but surely you have to agree that there were ton more superfights back then than there is today ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What about 12 years ago when Nigel Benn wouldn't fight Roy Jones unless Don King staged it (because he'd be getting more money), depsite it being thee fight everybody wanted

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec...88cc1fb?lnk=st

Jones refused to fight for King

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Personally I think they need to start advertising guys better and introducing them to the general public, because all that really makes a superfight is the general publics interest in it. I mean Pavlik vs Miranda could have been the megafight of the decade if people knew who these guys were.

I mean people shit on the HW division all the time. I agree, it isn't as good as it was back in the 70s (but then again, what other decade was as good as the 70s?), but we have some potential stars there. I mean Wlad Klitchko is just knocking everyone the fuck out recently, he's big, he's strong, he's exciting and he can box. Sam Peter is simply a monster who hits like a truck, another exciting fighter because he delivers big KOs. Lamon Brewster is balls to the wall excitement. Chagaev has a devistating punch. Hell even Valuev is someone the general public could rally behind, even if it is for the "freak show" effect (but to be fair to the big lug, he has skills). Now we possibly have Vitali coming back, 34 kos in 35 wins, another exciting fighter...

...but the problem is, the general public has no idea who these guys are. They are just names. How can you get excited after hearing that two guys you never heard of before are fighting. When me and my buddies watched Mayweather/De La Hoya at a local bar, I asked everyone there if they could name a HW champ. Out of 20 people or so, NO ONE could. One guy answered "Lennox Lewis", another jokingly said "Muhammad Ali". IMO if you let the general public know about these guys (and guys in all the other weightclasses) you'll have more megafights. The talent is there IMO. Look how the UFC exploded in popularity once the general public got to know the fighters through the TV show.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker
    Personally I think they need to start advertising guys better and introducing them to the general public, because all that really makes a superfight is the general publics interest in it. I mean Pavlik vs Miranda could have been the megafight of the decade if people knew who these guys were.

I mean people S*** on the HW division all the time. I agree, it isn't as good as it was back in the 70s (but then again, what other decade was as good as the 70s?), but we have some potential stars there. I mean Wlad Klitchko is just knocking everyone the F*** out recently, he's big, he's strong, he's exciting and he can box. Sam Peter is simply a monster who hits like a truck, another exciting fighter because he delivers big KOs. Lamon Brewster is balls to the wall excitement. Chagaev has a devistating punch. Hell even Valuev is someone the general public could rally behind, even if it is for the "freak show" effect (but to be fair to the big lug, he has skills). Now we possibly have Vitali coming back, 34 kos in 35 wins, another exciting fighter...

...but the problem is, the general public has no idea who these guys are. They are just names. How can you get excited after hearing that two guys you never heard of before are fighting. When me and my buddies watched Mayweather/De La Hoya at a local bar, I asked everyone there if they could name a HW champ. Out of 20 people or so, NO ONE could. One guy answered "Lennox Lewis", another jokingly said "Muhammad Ali". IMO if you let the general public know about these guys (and guys in all the other weightclasses) you'll have more megafights. The talent is there IMO. Look how the UFC exploded in popularity once the general public got to know the fighters through the TV show.
    Very well said.

As for the question...NO. I don't think that the big fights are that hard to make anymore.

In the last 5-6 years wev'e seen Hopkins vs Tarver. Klitschko vs Peter, Lewis vs Klitcshko, Taylor vs Hopkins, Oscar vs Hopkins, Morales vs Pacquiao, Barrera vs Marquez, Jones vs Tarver, and many many more.

I think that everyone is just a bit to "doom & gloom" as far as boxing is concerned.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205

I mean people S*** on the HW division all the time. I agree, it isn't as good as it was back in the 70s (but then again, what other decade was as good as the 70s?), but we have some potential stars there. I mean Wlad Klitchko is just knocking everyone the F*** out recently, he's big, he's strong, he's exciting and he can box. Sam Peter is simply a monster who hits like a truck, another exciting fighter because he delivers big KOs. Lamon Brewster is balls to the wall excitement. Chagaev has a devistating punch. Hell even Valuev is someone the general public could rally behind, even if it is for the "freak show" effect (but to be fair to the big lug, he has skills). Now we possibly have Vitali coming back, 34 kos in 35 wins, another exciting fighter...

Very well said.

As for the question...NO. I don't think that the big fights are that hard to make anymore.

In the last 5-6 years wev'e seen Hopkins vs Tarver. Klitschko vs Peter, Lewis vs Klitcshko, Taylor vs Hopkins, Oscar vs Hopkins, Morales vs Pacquiao, Barrera vs Marquez, Jones vs Tarver, and many many more.

I think that everyone is just a bit to "doom & gloom" as far as boxing is concerned.
    Also...we just got to see Oscar vs Floyd & now are getting to see Wright vs Hopkins...so again...NO...the matches aren't hard to make.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Superfights have not happened since the beginning of boxing. Fighters have ALWAYS been ducked.

And ICB, before Leonard came out of retirement, Hagler had real interest in fighting Donald Curry. When Leonard came out to fight Hagler, McCallum fought Curry and that generated A LOT of interest in a Hagler - McCallum bout.

Curry was P4P number 1 before he lost to Honneyghan but was still a very big name. So it came as a huge shock when McCallum KO'd him, he was far from a prospect at that point. McCallum got no respect from anyone, he helf the 154 title for 4 years during Hagler's run, he was who people claim Margarito is now. And he called out Hagler and Hearns immediately after knocking out Curry.

This is from a 1987 Sports Illustrated article. McCallum is talking first.

"Hearns. Hagler. Any of those guys. Now that people know me, I want to be a fighting champion. I'd love to fight Hearns.''
    ''For a lot of money,'' said Hearns.
    ''That's right,'' McCallum said happily, envisioning a million-dollar payday. ''For a lot of money.''
    Popular fighters cost more.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

McCallum shot himself in the foot though, he would have faced Duran had he beat Sumbu at 160.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205

Very well said.

Totally.
    It's easy to look back at the great fights that were made without taking into consideration how long they took to come together, and compare it to who isn't fighting who right this second and say nobody is fighting anyone nowadays.
    I mean how long did it take for Leonard-Hagler to happen??
    And people are already complaining about Taylor not immediately agreeing to fight Pavlik two days after his fight with Spinks??
    20 years from now we'll be looking back thinking, remember when guys like Oscar would fight Floyd? Or back when Barrera/Morales/Pac would all fight each other? I miss those days!
    In a sport where star fighters only fight a couple times a year (if we're lucky), we will never see every fight we want. I don't think we're necessarily seeing less match-ups than we want to compared to twenty years ago.
    Maybe just appears these fights are more dispersed in the present day, as opposed to being able to youtube 7 years worth of boxing history in minutes.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Samson3000
    How in the hell is Taylor ducking Pavlik The man didn't even become the recognized #1 condender until about 45 hours ago, moron
    What's that you usually post in response to my posts?

OH

"lmao at this guy getting mad that his bum hero has been totally exposed as a fraud"

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by amat
    Superfights have not happened since the beginning of boxing. Fighters have ALWAYS been ducked.

And ICB, before Leonard came out of retirement, Hagler had real interest in fighting Donald Curry. When Leonard came out to fight Hagler, McCallum fought Curry and that generated A LOT of interest in a Hagler - McCallum bout.

Curry was P4P number 1 before he lost to Honneyghan but was still a very big name. So it came as a huge shock when McCallum KO'd him, he was far from a prospect at that point. McCallum got no respect from anyone, he helf the 154 title for 4 years during Hagler's run, he was who people claim Margarito is now. And he called out Hagler and Hearns immediately after knocking out Curry.

This is from a 1987 Sports Illustrated article. McCallum is talking first.

"Hearns. Hagler. Any of those guys. Now that people know me, I want to be a fighting champion. I'd love to fight Hearns.''
    ''For a lot of money,'' said Hearns.
    ''That's right,'' McCallum said happily, envisioning a million-dollar payday. ''For a lot of money.''
    Popular fighters cost more.
    I didn't call Mccallum a prospect i was saying Hagler had big fights with Hearns Mugabi and Leonard he wasn't going to move down was he and i never see Mccallum saying he was going to move up so this fight couldn't of happened at that time because both men had big fights at there own weights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Die hard fans wanted to see Hagler in with McCallum as early as 84

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    Quote Originally Posted by Samson3000
    How in the hell is Taylor ducking Pavlik The man didn't even become the recognized #1 condender until about 45 hours ago, moron
    What's that you usually post in response to my posts?

OH

"lmao at this guy getting mad that his bum hero has been totally exposed as a fraud"
    Actually Pavlik was the #1 contender. Miranda was the #2 contender. But I don't believe Taylor has ducked Pavlik....yet. But I would not be surprised if he starts ducking him now.

Back to the original topic. I agree with what Beanflicker said. Big fights are happening it's just that nobody knows about it. The real problem is this hole bunch of safety first fighters that are just not fun to whatch. They are making soooo much money when they are at the top that they are willing to do whatever it takes to stay up there as long as they can like ducking dangorouse fighters that would give the public that exciting fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pro fighters are getting greedy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think James Toney is the one fighter who was willing to fight everyone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That guy just hated the world and would have fought everyone in the street at once if he could. Infact he'd have probably paid to fight anyone!

Thread Information