Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: James Toney weighs in at 229!!!!! OH CRAP!!!!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: James Toney weighs in at 229!!!!! OH CRAP!!!!

Call me crazy, but I would love to see James fight the Klitchkos. I wouldn't count James out.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LegendBoxing65
    Call me crazy, but I would love to see James fight the Klitchkos. I wouldn't count James out.
    The ref might :P

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    Bilbo, lol. Nice one.

I can't help thinking Toney has nothing left to offer the sport. I'm sure I'll piss everyone off, but I always felt he was overrated anyway.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn
    Bilbo, lol. Nice one.

I can't help thinking Toney has nothing left to offer the sport. I'm sure I'll piss everyone off, but I always felt he was overrated anyway.

Woah. Toney might not have his best days ahead of him, but he is still easily top 10 amongst the heavyweights and perhaps in the top 6 still....

I dont think Toney is overrated. He's pretty much done it all...and the fact that he can still let it all hang out at heavyweight in his late 30's is nothing short of remarkable...

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It will be televised. I'm sure if nobody buys the rights MSG will pay like £100 for the right to screen it and send the Colonel down to report it for us.

They F****** better do, I mean even the most inept of broadcasting mangers must know that James Toney is one of the most popular heavyweights out there
    You have no idea how inept that most broadcasting managers are!!! Seriously though, I doubt this one is going to be too much in the entertainment side...Toney should get him out of there sharpish, even if he is just a big round midleweight in reality.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles
    Bilbo, lol. Nice one.

Woah. Toney might not have his best days ahead of him, but he is still easily top 10 amongst the heavyweights and perhaps in the top 6 still....

I dont think Toney is overrated. He's pretty much done it all...and the fact that he can still let it all hang out at heavyweight in his late 30's is nothing short of remarkable...

Yeah, I'm not taking away that he is a great fighter, I've just heard people say he's in the top 5 of his era, and I'm not agreeing with that. I don't believe he can hang at Heavyweight anymore. He should have beaten Rahman, his chance has gone. Even his trainer has suggested to him it maybe time to hang em up.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bilbo, lol. Nice one.

Yeah, I'm not taking away that he is a great fighter, I've just heard people say he's in the top 5 of his era, and I'm not agreeing with that. I don't believe he can hang at Heavyweight anymore. He should have beaten Rahman, his chance has gone. Even his trainer has suggested to him it maybe time to hang em up.
    Fair points

Im still undecided as to what Toney has left, I really dont want him to stick around too long if the 2nd Peter fight really was a sign that he was on the slide....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bilbo, lol. Nice one.

Fair points

Im still undecided as to what Toney has left, I really dont want him to stick around too long if the 2nd Peter fight really was a sign that he was on the slide....
    I'm with you man. James Toney is one of my favorite fighters and like you said if that last peter fight was what is really left in James then I wish he would hang them up also, I hate seeing a once geat boxer in the twilight of his career and not performing like he use to. But if he does have anything left its either now or never and he needs to hurry up and do something. Because I know he has said before that his dream was to win the HW title, I would love to see that happen I'm just not sure it will.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Wadeb_21
    Bilbo, lol. Nice one.

Fair points

I'm with you man. James Toney is one of my favorite fighters and like you said if that last peter fight was what is really left in James then I wish he would hang them up also, I hate seeing a once geat boxer in the twilight of his career and not performing like he use to. But if he does have anything left its either now or never and he needs to hurry up and do something. Because I know he has said before that his dream was to win the HW title, I would love to see that happen I'm just not sure it will.
    I couldnt agree more with the points made

Its been tough being a Toney fan recently. The ever increasing waistline. The wasted effort against Rahman. The poor judging of the 1st Peter fight. And then the horror of James actually being quite dominated against by Peter in the 2nd fight.

As you say, its now or never for Toney. He's old and there will be no coming back from another loss. He is 6 pounds lighter, which is a step in the right direction, but it may be a case of too little too late...

I hope he blows this guy out of the water and then fights again quickly and loses 6 more pounds on the way...

Toney should win this fight easily, if it is any way difficult then James should really call time on it all. He has nothing to prove really...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bilbo, lol. Nice one.

Fair points

back my friend.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I forgot this fight was on. Selective memory i guess
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not for nothing but james toney has had plenty of opportunities to make back to the top of the mountain, but he couldnt discipline himself enough to take an advantage of those opportunities. Hes a natural talent and got outboxed by Sam Peter of all people.

He weighed in at 6 pounds lighter because he put his sandwhich down before he stepped on the scale this time.

Dont get me wrong James is a great fighter and had the potential to be one of the best. But its a damn shame he could never do the roadwork or watch his waistline enough to maximize his chances of showing it against a bunch of fighters who are way below his talent level now. If he couldnt make it to the top of the heavyweight division as lifeless as its become now, he should seriously think about retiring.

Dont buy too much into the 6 lbs. He'll probably be 4lbs heavier for the next fight...
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed
    Not for nothing but james toney has had plenty of opportunities to make back to the top of the mountain, but he couldnt discipline himself enough to take an advantage of those opportunities. Hes a natural talent and got outboxed by Sam Peter of all people.

He weighed in at 6 pounds lighter because he put his sandwhich down before he stepped on the scale this time.

Dont get me wrong James is a great fighter and had the potential to be one of the best. But its a damn shame he could never do the roadwork or watch his waistline enough to maximize his chances of showing it against a bunch of fighters who are way below his talent level now. If he couldnt make it to the top of the heavyweight division as lifeless as its become now, he should seriously think about retiring.

Dont buy too much into the 6 lbs. He'll probably be 4lbs heavier for the next fight...
    Indeed, 6 lbs could mean he went for a poo just before he stepped on the scale

Thread Information