Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there other ways to strengthen your punching power, WITHOUT using a heavybag

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Are there other ways to strengthen your punching power, WITHOUT using a heavybag

Interesting little tit bit before chain saws, Lumberjacks swinging an axe had more Heart strains than any other proffession interesting and the Cuban Amatuers are not Amatuers in the sense of the word.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Are there other ways to strengthen your punching power, WITHOUT using a heavybag

Me again ,I know this my Father was one a Lumberjack not a Cuban.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So it's fairly aerobic - not just muscular?
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Are there other ways to strengthen your punching power, WITHOUT using a heav

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla
    Is the rower in the gym just as good?
    If its the one with a big fan blade on the end with the narrow rope. I did crew in high school between football and baseball. I grew a ton of stamina and my thighs were so much stronger my vertical went from 32 inches to 35 inches. The spring or hydraulic two handled rowers are crap you need the rowers that are on a rail and type big fan blade on the end. Do it for 30 minuets and every 2 minuets do a power ten three long rows as hard as you can do them.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Are there other ways to strengthen your punching power, WITHOUT using a heav

You first start the row you push with all legsuntill you are pushing with your calves. Then youLean back using your lower back and shoulder.Then as you are half way done leaning back you use your arm bringing the handle in a strait line from a full extend position all the way to your upper chest almost touching it. This a great almost unparalleled total body work out. if you want to build stamina this is the way to go.I always did a mile run before the row. Start of at a lower pace depending on what you are comfortable with . gradually building your way to a hour. I went from 9% fat to 5% percent fat before and after crew. Not even wrestling was as physicall as rowing competitively
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks southakron - 'll give it a go and I appreciate you explaining the proper technique to me.

My older brother was on the Australian junior rowing team so i can believe it makes you fit. Now he travels a lot for work away from any water source (not much water here) so can't do it. He has to travel because he's a shearer (takes the wool off sheep). He's never mentioned what his body fat percentage was back then but he was pretty lean.
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sharla you Australian?

Where bouts you live?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris N.

As for physical exercise you need to be explosive on your feet. I think skipping rope is a great way to achieve that. There are many different exercises that can make a jumprope much more intense.
    When you get a chance could you share some of the skipping excercises you mentioned?

Scap, I'm sorry to hear about your mom. Hope she's doing ok now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The best book that I've read on the subject is "Jump rope Training" by Buddy Lee. His programs are very progressive and result orientated. It contains different exercises/moves that can be put together so your skipping rope isn't some monotonous ordeal. I'll go over some jumprope exercises later. Anyways here's an excerpt on explosiveness from Buddy Lee's book:

"Explosiveness is generated by forceful contractions of fast-twitch muscle fibers that can generate and sustain speed. It can be described as force plus quickness. My power jump rope training programs will show how to generate and project explosiveness into critical movements of different sports.

For example, a high vertical jump has its merits, but a competitive edge normally comes from advantages in vertical acceleration: how quickly athletes jump from a standing position or how fast they react from a position of readiness. My power jump rope programs reduce the gap between the height of the jump and the subsequent takeoff phase by minimizing surface contact time.

Rope jumping has often been referred to as an effective warm-up to plyometrics exercises, but it is itself a low-intensity plyometrics exercise that produces significant training benefits that can trigger superior athletic performance.

Combining rope jumping with strengthening exercises during the season’s training cycles can significantly improve explosiveness and power in sports performance. That’s because rope jumping is an exercise that forces the neuromuscular system to respond more quickly and forcefully.

Plyometrics exercises can be traced back to the former Eastern bloc countries. Over the past years, more American coaches and athletes have learned how to use these exercises to improve overall athletic performance. Still, many coaches have little experience in how to effectively implement a seasonal plyometrics program for athletes of different ages, levels, and abilities. Rope jumping, on the other hand, is very effective and safe for both young and mature athletes, because jumps can be repeated hundreds of times in one session without risk of injury.

Plyometrics is designed not only to increase speed and explosiveness but also jumping ability. The principle is simple: The more a muscle is stretched, the more powerful its subsequent contraction. The goal of plyometrics is to shorten the interval between a stretched muscle and its contraction.
    Plyometrics uses gravity to force the stretching of a muscle while the athlete propels in the opposite direction to train the muscle to contract with power. For example, stepping or leaping off a raised surface will force the leg muscles to stretch as the knees bend to absorb the impact of the landing. The athlete then contracts the quadriceps and hamstrings in a burst of propulsion during a leap or step forward. It’s the stretching of the muscle that stores the energy for the subsequent explosive takeoff phase. This is how repeated plyometrics training builds explosive power in the legs.

The same principle is at work in jump rope training. Energy is stored in the legs on the landing phase of each jump and is released on each successive jump. Unlike most other plyometrics exercises, rope jumping allows this activity to be repeated hundreds of times per session. Because of the number of repetitions and the various levels of intensity possible during each rope jumping session, it can also produce aerobic and anaerobic training effects. This is the principle at work in my jump rope training system.

This system’s emphasis on repeated jumps also underscores a plyometrics principle that emphasizes the force production of eccentric (stretched) contractions over concentric (shortened) contractions. In jumping rope, the concentric contraction takes place during the landing phase of each jump. This landing phase progresses into the subsequent takeoff phase (eccentric) contraction of each jump. The gravity-assisted landing phase (concentric) contraction provides the force necessary for the explosiveness executed on each subsequent jump. By jumping less than an inch from the surface and landing lightly on the balls of the feet, the neuromuscular system becomes thoroughly trained in and adapts to this key principle of plyometrics.

High-speed eccentric contractions draw on fast-twitch muscle fibers while also producing more force per motor unit. This neuromuscular process explains how jump rope training produces a reduced stretch-shortening cycle that allows the athlete to derive the greatest benefits from a plyometrics program.

As the athlete develops greater rope jumping proficiency, the reduced gap between eccentric and concentric contractions offers a greater potential for improved athletic performance. For example, rope jumping will enhance an athlete’s capacity to rapidly execute successive jumps or extended sequences of vertical acceleration while also improving reaction time."

I'll talk about it later.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks, I'll have to keep an eye out for that book. For the record I'd give you a cc if I could. When you do talk more about this would you also address whether there is more benefit to skipping at different points in your workout (before, during or after) and whether there are drawbacks to doing long sessions rather than short with breaks. I wouldn't think the interval principal would be a factor since you have to keep going the whole time and can't vary the intensity all that much...beyond a certain point anyway. Maybe I'm wrong about the intensity though. I used to skip as part of my warmups but now i'm at a new gym and they rarely have us do it so I usually just do a 10 minute session after the coaches finish with us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKY_13
    Sharla you Australian?

Where bouts you live?
    I'm in Adelaide - are you Australian too?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sharla you Australian?

Where bouts you live?
    Yeah I live in Sydney currently, moving up to Newcastle area soon.
    I was in the army about a year back, did my basic training. They were going to post me in the Woodside base, near Adelaide. Lol.
    But had a few troubles with the 'military justice system' and am no longer serving.
    Would have liked to see Adelaide though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sharla you Australian?

Where bouts you live?
    Yeah I live in Sydney currently, moving up to Newcastle area soon.
    I was in the army about a year back, did my basic training. They were going to post me in the Woodside base, near Adelaide. Lol.
    But had a few troubles with the 'military justice system' and am no longer serving.
    Would have liked to see Adelaide though.
    Adelaide's OK - nice place to live but would be a boring place to visit. Places close to Adelaide or nice to visit - especially if you like wine - but I'm not a drinker so I couldn't recommend anything specific. I guess living expenses are relatively low - still I think Sydney probably kills Adelaide in the shopping and night life department and I think the boxing scene is better in the eastern states too - more clubs and easier to organize fights because everyone's closer. If you ever do find yourself in Adelaide PM me and I'll let you know of any good gyms I know of close to where you are - maybe you won't mind me asking for your inside info if I'm ever down your way too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah anytime, ever come to Sydney I'd be glad to show you around and/or tell you where you can train.
    Vice-Versea too.

Hehe.

Aye if you have msn, feel free to add me if you want.

L_U_C_K_Y-13@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks will do

Thread Information