Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The REAL Legacy of Roberto Duran

Duran has one of those careers that you can be overly critical about and still come to the conclucion that he was one of the all time greats
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimboogie
    Duran has one of those careers that you can be overly critical about and still come to the conclucion that he was one of the all time greats
    Because he fought mediocre guys at lightweight whom he dominated so much that it made an impression that he was brutal in the ring with his sneer and all that. The way he knocked out Lampkin was frightening. And that impression has never gone away, even though an inspection of his lightweight competition shows they were not top top notch. He did not fight a guy equal to him except for Buchanan and Dejesus at lightweight. He was a great fighter, but his nonability against boxers and fast guys means that if you match him up with the boxers of all time he loses to them. The fighters he was in the ring with Benitez, Hearns,Leonard show that he would have probably lost to Whitaker,Mayweather, Mosley. I think he would have beaten Oscar. A good fight for Duran would have been Vargas or Mayorga.. This is how Duran's career went. if he fought now, he would lose to Mayweather and Mosley, then get excuses like he was drugged or had trouble losing 50 pounds,, then he would fight Vargas or Mayorga, knock either of them out and his fans say "look how great he was to beat those guys so savagely" After knocking out Vargas or Mayorga, Duran would say "I was in the best shape of my life this time" That is the career of Duran. When he won he did wipe guys out and that is hard to forget. Doesn't matter if the opponents were not as great as we think. yet he has the weakness of speed of boxers. I am not sure why I am one of the few who sees Duran as not as great as all seem to think he was.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sweet Pea and Mayweather, yeah probably. (Two longstanding P4P no.1's.... Not bad IMO)

Oscar would have been way too big for Duran at most weights.
    Too fast at the rest. (Ala Tommy Hearns)

But Mosley. Im not too sure about that one. Its debatable. At lightweight at least.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimboogie
    Sweet Pea and Mayweather, yeah probably. (Two longstanding P4P no.1's.... Not bad IMO)

Oscar would have been way too big for Duran at most weights.
    Too fast at the rest. (Ala Tommy Hearns)

But Mosley. Im not too sure about that one. Its debatable. At lightweight at least.
    yeah I see what you are saying. The reason I think Mosley might beat him and not Oscar is that Oscar does not give much lateral movement which he needs since his handspeed is not backed up by the type of defense you need to outpoint Duran. Oscar has handspeed but Duran would come on later when Oscar tires as he does in recent fights and sort of leans forward and gets nailed. I just see Oscar getting tired with Duran and Roberto landing his right hand and start to take Oscar apart. Mosley had more consistency and fast punches which could really frustrate Duran even though Mosley does not have good lateral but his handspeed and nice short punches would make Duran frustrated I think.

Thread Information