Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default chin

is there anything you can do to strengthen your chin or is it just a good or bad thing you are blessed with?

ICB Guest

Default Re: chin

Quote Originally Posted by themusic
    is there anything you can do to strengthen your chin or is it just a good or bad thing you are blessed with?
    Something your blessed with but you can try and make your neck stronger though i heard that helps somewhere.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Have read in to this a bit...Its fairly scientific but here's what iv translated.

"Chin" can be somewhat improved by a stable, balanced diet. (chin can also be negated by the neglect of the diet.)

The overall level of fitness will affect the ability to take punishment, development of the neck/ upper back muscles and shoulders will all be beneficial.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    Have read in to this a bit...Its fairly scientific but here's what iv translated.

"Chin" can be somewhat improved by a stable, balanced diet. (chin can also be negated by the neglect of the diet.)

The overall level of fitness will affect the ability to take punishment, development of the neck/ upper back muscles and shoulders will all be beneficial.
    You're right, the only thing I would add to that is to keep your chin down at all times to avoid getting hit flush. Guys like Hagler could take huge punches, but his head was always down and he would very rarely get hit flush.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

when i used to box, nothing major just once a week at the local gym, our boxing trainer used to say having a good core is the best way to have a strong chin, just thought id ask on here aswell though.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Keeping the chin down is not a good thing, Hagler kept his chin in not down theres a difference.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Notice how a lot of guys with supposedly strong chins hardly ever get hit cleanly on the chin. Take Jack Dempsey for example, in his bout with Gene Tunney, and as Gene tried he just couldn't land a clean hit on Dempsey's chin. Dempsey kept his chin tucked preventing Tunney's best punches from landing on the sweet spot. Dempsey knew what he was doing, all his bobbing and weaving, his slipping, and he didn't just come straight at you, he'd sidestep making you miss while getting in position to plant his own explosives. The same applies to other fighters that have reputations as rugged fighters, Julio Cesar Chavez, Roberto Duran, Rocky Marciano, they all knew how to take a punch, make themselves hard to hit, slipping and countering. Conditioning is a big factor too, I believe that the hard training that they went through made them all the tougher mentally when it was fight time. They could fight hurt, dazed, they knew what to do because they've practiced it constantly that it becomes instinctive to do so.

Anyone that is serious about going into fighting for the long haul should be wise enough to put in the time to master these moves and improve their physical condition.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You shouldn't pin your chin to your breastbone, but I would recommend a slight tuck to keep it out of the way allowing proper movement and preventing strain, and only bringing it behing your shoulder in an emergency.

It's more important to be more loose and relaxed while also alert and ready to avoid an opponent's punch, or roll with it if need be.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Along the lines of what Chris said,notice Bhop(Im using him because hes never been KO'ed)never gets hit clean,he either pulls away,or rolls his head.
    Neck muscles will help with the head rolls

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A strong neck helps, but the big thing is to not be regid, always able to take the steam off their punches. It's awesome to watch a fighter that knows how to to really roll with the punches, Lucia Ryker landed an awesome punch while previously rolling with her opponent's punch.

Look at Hopkin's role models, Archie Moore was very clever, he knew the shifts, shoulder rolls, Dempsey's bobbing-and-weaving, he was also skilled with his hands as he was an expert at blocking and parrying. Jersey Joe Walcott was very cagey and hard to hit himself, he had fast feet which gave him no problem taking a few side-steps, or steps backwards and timing you with a wicked hook or cross. They may have kept their hands lower, but more often than not they knew what was coming and showed us it's better not to get hit (at least not cleanly) and be in position to counter effectively. Bernard Hopkins learned their lessons well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ANd in the reverse,look at any big knockout,I mean a one puncher,Ill use this as an exampl
    http://www.evtv1.com/player.aspx?itemnum=913
    Ward is coming in,has her head more or less straight up and down,and if she trys to roll her head at all,its WAY to late

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

having no neck helps absorb a punch.

the long neck fighter tends to exaggerate the punch a bit . having more of the whip lash effect on impact. causing that brain stem to twist out and short circuit .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lords Gym

the long neck fighter tends to exaggerate the punch a bit . having more of the whip lash effect on impact. causing that brain stem to twist out and short circuit .
    Good point, you're S.O.L if you're a giraffe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris N.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lords Gym

Good point, you're S.O.L if you're a giraffe.

cc Chris LOL On one hand its nice to see a long necked opponent in front of you, especially if you carry a punch.. Unfortunately the Giraffe has fast feet moves well , I seen a Giraffe snatch a lions ass , its no cake walk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by themusic
    I think it is the way the body is constructed to absorb the punch and the bones in the head and chin and how the nerve is affected by the shock. I think in some people it is easier to disrupt the nerves with the shock. Look at Hagler. He was the most solid middleweight you could imagine.. His legs and arms and shoulders were just well balanced. Then look at Hearns who was long and angular.. you can tell Hagler would be able to take a better punch. One guy who goes against the structure theory is Seldon. But it has to do with body strength and how the body absorbs the shock.

Thread Information