Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Was Holyfield Past His Prime Against Lewis?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Was Holyfield Past His Prime Against Lewis?

Right after his tough fights against Lewis, he had his "trilogy" with John Ruiz. At that point critics were calling Holyfield Past his prime, so less than a year earlier vs. Lewis he was still prime? Did he get old overnight or was he on the slide against both guys. I think he did as good as he ever could against the much bigger Lewis and Nobody looks good against John Ruiz so I dont hold those fights against Holyfield. I dont think he really started to show his age until he fought Hasim Rahman. I think the Ruiz fights just took a lot out of him and that contributed to his three consecutive loses (not that age didnt have anything to do with it). But he fought Lewis well in the loss that I thought he won and if that wasnt a somewhat prime Holyfield I dont know what is.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Was Holyfield Past His Prime Against Lewis?

people were saying holyfield was past his prime when he fought bowe. He just kept proving people wrong. thats part of the reason why he still thinks he can win a title. he used to people doubting him but now he really is past it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 'The Boxer'
    people were saying holyfield was past his prime when he fought bowe. He just kept proving people wrong. thats part of the reason why he still thinks he can win a title. he used to people doubting him but now he really is past it.
    I thought he looked great vs. Maddalone, and people still doent give him credit.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

past his prime against lewis?
    I think that goes without saying,
    however, he is probably doing the best out of all fighters past and present who was/is "past their prime"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Holyfield ducked Lewis for as long as he could. In order to millk as much as he could from his title. Yeah, he was past his prime.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They were both passed there best
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom
    Right after his tough fights against Lewis, he had his "trilogy" with John Ruiz. At that point critics were calling Holyfield Past his prime, so less than a year earlier vs. Lewis he was still prime? Did he get old overnight or was he on the slide against both guys. I think he did as good as he ever could against the much bigger Lewis and Nobody looks good against John Ruiz so I dont hold those fights against Holyfield. I dont think he really started to show his age until he fought Hasim Rahman. I think the Ruiz fights just took a lot out of him and that contributed to his three consecutive loses (not that age didnt have anything to do with it). But he fought Lewis well in the loss that I thought he won and if that wasnt a somewhat prime Holyfield I dont know what is.
    He was past him prime maybe, but he was still champion around that time so if he could still become champ I figure he was still a good fighter. He was maybe on the downside, but Lennox would have beaten him in 1995 as well. Holyfield looked like a shot fighter in 1994 against Moorer, and then later he looked better. He is an amazing fighter. That is for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lewis would of beaten him at any stage in both the careers.

That first fight was a robbery, Lewis clearly won.
    dont Fuck with the chuck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by gudnite vienna

I agree with that. Lennox had the equalizer. That right hand punch was a punch which he used well. Evander never had that kind of punch to use to keep guys off of him. So in a way Evander is great in all he accomplished at a smaller size, yet Lennox was so much more dominant.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Evander was said to be past his best after the first loss to Bowe . Lewis would have beaten him back then . Evanders prime was probably in his cruiser days . Evander probably wasnt at his best but he was having teh best run of his career going into it ( Tysonx2 and Moorer . )

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats true
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Evander peakede against Buster Douglas and it was a gradual slide from there. But even at 80 per cent he was stilla great fighter and good enough to twice school Tyson. I agree lewis should have got the nod the first time.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jack
    I think Evander peakede against Buster Douglas and it was a gradual slide from there. But even at 80 per cent he was stilla great fighter and good enough to twice school Tyson. I agree lewis should have got the nod the first time.
    Im not so sure . Sometimes he performed well sometimes he didnt . Look at the two fights with Moorer he was better in the second fight . Against Bowe he was better in the return and even against Lewis he performed better in the return . Lewis did a number on him when they wore Grant gloves in the first fight but wearing those big everlast pillows in the rematch , his punches just bounced off him .

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GAME
    Evander was said to be past his best after the first loss to Bowe . Lewis would have beaten him back then . Evanders prime was probably in his cruiser days . Evander probably wasnt at his best but he was having teh best run of his career going into it ( Tysonx2 and Moorer . )
    Disagree the Lewis that fought Bruno ect got caught with alot of punches and his balance seemed to be bad i think holyfield could of beaten that version of Lewis however yes the first fight was robbery but people forget how well Holyfield done in the 2nd fight some people even thought he won it i think Holyfield was past his best but i also think Lewis was in his peak.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gudnite vienna

I thought the first AND second fights were robberies.....and Holyfield wouldn't be easy for ANYONE to beat ....EVER.

Thread Information