Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: My introduction, and a question

I just checked it out, and signed up on your site's message board. I noticed you have a psalms verse on your main page which isn't a surprise since you've just mentioned that you've served in the marine corp. Anyway's I'm about ready to turn in for the night but I have a piece in the bible that I think that you'd like to read.

"Whatever your hands finds to do, do it with all your might; for there is no activity, planning, knowledge or wisdom in the grave where you're going..." -ECC. 9:10

I read it on a baseball mount a friend owned. Maybe you'll enjoy it too.

By the way I checked out that gamer site, it's nice it brought back a couple memories because I used to play that game a few years ago, Delta Force is it? It was a fun game, I just don't have time to spend to that kind of stuff anymore.

You're welcome here, you check out any post that you want.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC for everybody who has posted on this thread - how many forums could somebody get so much help from their first post - quality advice guys
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thank you Chris: I love boxing, and I got to tell you thast I have never ever recieved the type of input concerning anything that I have recieved here, thak you all kindly. And thanks again Chris for inviting me to stay:....And Sharla, I think womens boxing is fantastic, gosh you guys should see my daughter hit, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

updated my site, new ring and new pics: www.clairtonboxingclub.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC back at ya Abaddon and BIG H

You should post a vid of your girl so we can see Abaddon. Unless you want to keep it under wraps in case some of her potential opponents coaches want to study it I guess.

I'd like to see it. I've been boxing for a while but am taking a while to get the power up. It's coming along gradually but I always feel inspired by female boxers who really pack a wallop.

I'm so used to knowing that the male fighters in my gym are always going to hit harder it's good to see another female with power I can aim for realistically.

Of course FeuerFrie makes knock downs look easy too
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey Sharla, you should check out Lucia Ryker and Anne Wolfe's fights. They hit hard for woman, and they have some nifty moves as well.

By the Abs, if you don't mind me calling you that, I checked out your website again yesterday. I'll drop some useful posts on your message board once I've finished typing them up. I'm still working on a exercise followup that I was going to add last night but never got around to.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Alright John onto some exercise ideas.

In your first post here you said that your daughter goes on a 2 mile jog everyday during the week and a 5 miler on the weekends. This idea of slow and steady training has been around for ages, and another kind of training that’s been around for almost as long I’m going to introduce to you.

Interval Training, it’s generally characterized as repetitions of high-intensity, cycled with periods of rest or lower activity. This seems to raise the body’s metabolism more so than a slow and constant jog. Now this idea has been done by boxers since the turn of the century, the great Bob Fitzsimmons would sprint from telephone pole to telephone pole alternating it with walking and jogging. He also did plenty of jogging and long walks and could still hold a conversation without being winded despite running at a blistering pace.

In the 40’s and from book written by olympic boxing coach Edwin L. Haislet, he referred to this method of training as ‘Wind Sprints.’ In this way you would sprint a 100 yards then walk a 100 yards. Bruce Lee also referred to this method in his roadwork doing intervals of walking, running, and sprinting. He would also mix up his running, doing what has already been mentioned, running backwords, cross-stepping, side-stepping, and shadowboxing along the way. Muhammad Ali also did much of this as well.

You could also adjust your pace accordingly to your heart rate and keep it at a chosen range. If you want to keep it in sync with boxing’s intervals you can run hard a few minutes, then walk a minute while pushing air into your lungs.

It’s up to you, I’m not trying to convert anyone, but I just want to point out there are always better ways to do things.

Anyways, here are a few tips in regards to running:
    At first get warmed up by going at a leisurely jogging pace until your muscles are loosened up and your blood is flowing, now stop for a few minutes and do a few stretches to loosen up the hamstrings, calve muscles and lower back. I’ll go over a few stretches if you’d like to know.

Also make you’re running properly, you’re not leaning forward, your butt isn’t sticking out, lifting your knees up and letting gravity do all the work when it comes down. There’s a few different ways that your feet can land and that would depend on the kind of running at that particular moment. For jogging your can run hell-to-toe, and with faster running you can go on the balls on your feet.

Also it’s a good idea to invest in some decent running shoes; it may save you a trip to the doctor.
    Don’t do hard roadwork on days that you have sparring scheduled for later, and do not do it immediately before or after you work out at the gym.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hiya All !!

Yep calling me Abs will be fine: And Sharla, I will video tape her workout, mitts, and try to get them on-line. I have never did this before so it may take me some time to figure out how to publish the video for on-line. Thanks Chris for the advice. Ya know, me and Reverend Stoudemire ( you all should google his name, he is remarkable, and was 7-0 as a pro, til he got his calling from God) been discussing incorporating wind sprints in her workout, just wasnt sure how or when, so your advice is well recieved, and we will start this immediatly. Man I am glad to have found this site, lol. Sharla, what weight class are you?....If you dont mind me asking:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Abaddon
    Hiya All !!

Yep calling me Abs will be fine: And Sharla, I will video tape her workout, mitts, and try to get them on-line. I have never did this before so it may take me some time to figure out how to publish the video for on-line. Thanks Chris for the advice. Ya know, me and Reverend Stoudemire ( you all should google his name, he is remarkable, and was 7-0 as a pro, til he got his calling from God) been discussing incorporating wind sprints in her workout, just wasnt sure how or when, so your advice is well recieved, and we will start this immediatly. Man I am glad to have found this site, lol. Sharla, what weight class are you?....If you dont mind me asking:
    She's a bantamweight,its why Im so willing to give her advice she'll never have to worry about being in the ring with my girl

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey John, you're doing alright, you're fitting in like apart of the family, or in our case more like a boxing fraternity. In regards to the running you can get a cheap sports watch to keep track of the time, and a heart rate moniter if you want to take it in that direction. Good luck with that, I'm sorry that I didn't get back to you sooner with the exercises, but hopefully you can make it work for you.

By the way I looked up the name Abbadon, it reads "angel of destruction." But I'm sure you already knew this. I'll look up Rev. Stoudemire some time. Maybe God has my number, who knows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We got our non round timer as swag from HBO
    Actually for a freebie its works pretty good,no buzzer on it,but it takes a hell of a beating

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey
    Actually for a freebie its works pretty good,no buzzer on it,but it takes a hell of a beating
    That's neat, let me know when these freebies are happening. I can get you a boxing timer that you can put on a CD if you want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris N.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey
    That's neat, let me know when these freebies are happening. I can get you a boxing timer that you can put on a CD if you want.
    We use an Everlast round timer(might as well get freaking Everlast tattooed on me) but it only goes as low as 2 minute rounds,so for punchouts we need something else,so we use the HBO thing

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey Abbadon, with a little trouble I was able to track down a neat article on your friend the Reverend. This one has a Million Dollar Baby twist to it: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05286/587381.stm

I couldn't find anything else though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hiya all !

Yes, Tika, the Pitts. million dollar baby is Reverends Stoudemires neice. She will begin training at the Clairton Boxing Club soon. Reverend and I has maed a commitment to the city of Clairton for the next ten years. By the way, I have discovered that Canada has a lot of female fighters, so I will be making my way through their in the near future with my daughter. Do any of you know any place else that female boxing is big? I know of the Golden Glove tourney for females in Florida, and the nationals, anywhere else?

Thread Information