Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Koki Kameda, are the officials in his back pocket?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Koki Kameda, are the officials in his back pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted The Bull
    Kobi ia atypical in the way he handles himself outside the ring. He shows disrepsect to both his opponents and to the press, but he has a hugh following of younger people. He has the goods and is a monster draw in Japan. I like him for some strange reason. Right now, he is the hottesT thing in boxing in JAPAN.
    I too am a big Kameda fan. He's Japan's future. And the future is already here. I wouldn't be surprise to see him win titles in multiple weight classes.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise
    Kobi ia atypical in the way he handles himself outside the ring. He shows disrepsect to both his opponents and to the press, but he has a hugh following of younger people. He has the goods and is a monster draw in Japan. I like him for some strange reason. Right now, he is the hottesT thing in boxing in JAPAN.
    I too am a big Kameda fan. He's Japan's future. And the future is already here. I wouldn't be surprise to see him win titles in multiple weight classes.
    Yeah I think they were trying to line him up for a fight with Wonjongkam, which would be great cause Wonjongkam doesn't wanna fight any other big names! I would love to see him drop back down to face the winner of Cazares/ Calderon!
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy76
    Yeah I think they were trying to line him up for a fight with Wonjongkam, which would be great cause Wonjongkam doesn't wanna fight any other big names! I would love to see him drop back down to face the winner of Cazares/ Calderon!
    I'll favor Kameda over all 3

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy76
    I'll favor Kameda over all 3
    I think Calderon is to good for Kameda, but I think Kameda defeats Wonjongkam!
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He clearly lost the first Landaeta fight, but since then he's shown serious talent, he's as good as anyone at his weight at the minute, the hype comes from his age and personality, I hear he's a bit of a playboy in Japan.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Illuminated
    Does anyone know much about this young upstart fighting out of Japan? I've had the opportunity of seeing two of his fights on various video uploading sites. In one fight, against an opponent who's name escapes my mind, primarily because the video has been taken off of youtube, Kameda pushed the opposing fighter around the ring until he landed a hard low blow to win by knockout. In the other fight I saw, Kameda was fed a journeyman to showcase his skills. To me, it seemed like half of Japan was watching. They obviously put a lot of work into the production and the arena was packed. From what I hear, Japanese boxing fans tell me Japan is trying to manufacture Kameda into a Japanese Manny Pacquiao. Kameda is in my opinion, a paper champion. He has fought very limited opposition, even in his title defenses. Out of the other two flyweight champions I have seen, Kameda has to be the worst. There is an upside to him it seems, as he is only twenty years of age and clearly has good ability. Hes drawbacks included loading up on almost every shot and leaving himself open in the process, but the most disturbing thing to me as a boxing fan, is he showboats more than Naseem Hamed ever did. Kameda seems to have an overbearing father, whom I believe challenged Aaron Pryor as a professional and was very game before he was stopped. In one instance, Kameda went over to hug the aforemention opponent he stopped with a low blow, and Kameda's father pulled him off and seemed disgusted with the Mexican's corner for complaining. I've also heard that Kameda has one several controversial decisions by wide margins. I've yet to see either Landeta fight, but I expect to in the near future.

Japanese fans have also expressed to me that Kameda's father is a member of one Yakuza gang. I have no other information on that, so if anything is known, it would be appreciated if you could bring that to my attention.
    Heres CC#2 and welcome aboard to Saddos....

You know I wouldn't say Koki has the judges in his back pocket cause honestly theres no evidence of that.
    Is there a possibility? Yes, do we really know? No.

I also think Koki lost the 1st Landeta fight, but all credit to him for getting back in there and rematching Landeta IMO that speaks volumes of him. I also DON't think Japans trying to manufacture a Champ I mean theres no need to, if you look at the lower weight classes throughout the years Japans produced many great Champs. Primarily Japan, Korea, Philipnes all those Asian countrys along with Mexico are the main ones that produce the vast majority of fighters in those smaller weight classes. So I really don't think Japans trying to manufacture him. The low blows I see what your saying BUT I mean thats like the people who say they let Hatton get away with too much holding.....
    If you go on YouTube theres a video of several people walking out of the Koki-Landeta fight and they are expressing that Koki lost. Again Koki gave him the rematch and beat clearly there.....

About Saman well to be fair VD not a whole lot of people know about him and even more sooo you and I know that not a lot people pay as much attention to the smaller classes, also Samans waaaay past his best days now this isn't the same Saman who beat "Chiquita".... Saman has the track record former champ has fought some of the best but you gotta count hes was on his way out.

I would lve to see Koki fight the winner of Naito vs. Pongsaklek....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutmeMick
    You know I wouldn't say Koki has the judges in his back pocket cause honestly theres no evidence of that.
    Is there a possibility? Yes, do we really know? No.
    This is the reason I made the thread. I haven't claimed anything corrupt other than what I saw from the fight linked to in this thread. I have merely asked for opinions from people who have followed Kameda more than I have.

I also think Koki lost the 1st Landeta fight, but all credit to him for getting back in there and rematching Landeta IMO that speaks volumes of him.
    I have yet to see the Landaeta fight, hopefully the torrent I requested from another site will be uploaded today.

I also DON't think Japans trying to manufacture a Champ I mean theres no need to, if you look at the lower weight classes throughout the years Japans produced many great Champs.
    By manufacture I was referring to his hype machine. It seems to me, and many other Japanese fans, that Kameda is being made into a megastar already. Other Japanese fighters aren't given this same treatment, at least on this level, from what I understand. He is a 20 year old fighter who beat no one in title contention, earned a title shot, won a controversial decisiona nd then won the rematch in his first title defense. He then moved up in weight and fought a 5-1 fighter. He is someone to keep an eye out for, but at this point, it seems they are already trying to cash in on his potential.

The low blows I see what your saying BUT I mean thats like the people who say they let Hatton get away with too much holding.....
    Does this somehow make it legal? Boxing has rules for an abundance of reasons. There was a sequence in the linked video where Kameda landed a 3 punch combination below his opponents beltline with each one being delivered lower and with more force. He pushed the opponent around the ring, nails him with a punishing low blow, the ref didn't say one thing.

If you go on YouTube theres a video of several people walking out of the Koki-Landeta fight and they are expressing that Koki lost. Again Koki gave him the rematch and beat clearly there.....
    I saw that, what is your point? Some fans are bound to dislike a fighter who is as popular as Kameda is already. Not everyone can be pleased, no matter what.

About Saman well to be fair VD not a whole lot of people know about him and even more sooo you and I know that not a lot people pay as much attention to the smaller classes, also Samans waaaay past his best days now this isn't the same Saman who beat "Chiquita".... Saman has the track record former champ has fought some of the best but you gotta count hes was on his way out.
    Yes, the posted above obviously doesn't know what the word avid means.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is the reason I made the thread. I haven't claimed anything corrupt other than what I saw from the fight linked to in this thread. I have merely asked for opinions from people who have followed Kameda more than I have.
    I see what your saying and you are getting opinions.

I have yet to see the Landaeta fight, hopefully the torrent I requested from another site will be uploaded today.
    Well I can certainly tell you that try to watch it and form your own opinion from that... I hope you get a chance to see it.
    It's definetly a good scrap....

By manufacture I was referring to his hype machine. It seems to me, and many other Japanese fans, that Kameda is being made into a megastar already. Other Japanese fighters aren't given this same treatment, at least on this level, from what I understand. He is a 20 year old fighter who beat no one in title contention, earned a title shot, won a controversial decisiona nd then won the rematch in his first title defense. He then moved up in weight and fought a 5-1 fighter. He is someone to keep an eye out for, but at this point, it seems they are already trying to cash in on his potential.
    Well that happens EVERYWHERE not just Japan.... Do the names Grant, Bojado, JCC Jr. and Khan ring a bell. They were all being hyped or are being hyped to be megastars.
    Nobuo Nashiro(sp?) who beat Castillo was also being hyped I personally never believed the hype (You remember VD we had that talk about him) I knew Nobuo would loose against a World Class fighter and if you go to the Prediction Board and dig through the picks on the week that he fought Munoz I knew he would loose. I think Koki is getting the same treatment Nobuo got, the same treatment Kono and Niida are getting now.
    Think, who had Nobuo beaten to get a shot at Castillo? With something like 9 fights
    As I've said before to others here in the lower weight classes since early on it's very common to get title shots early on I mean look through the records and you can see this from 30 years ago it's not just now....

Does this somehow make it legal? Boxing has rules for an abundance of reasons. There was a sequence in the linked video where Kameda landed a 3 punch combination below his opponents beltline with each one being delivered lower and with more force. He pushed the opponent around the ring, nails him with a punishing low blow, the ref didn't say one thing.
    No not all.... I was just saying that things slip bye sometimes after how many Golota low blows to Bowe did the ref. finally catch on? I think it was after like 4 low blows.... Just recently we saw a ref. miss a knockdown in the JMM vs. MAB fight... I'm not saying it's right I'm saying things happen sometimes....

I saw that, what is your point? Some fans are bound to dislike a fighter who is as popular as Kameda is already. Not everyone can be pleased, no matter what.
    My point was that people felt Koki lost and those people happened to be Koki fans..... Sometimes I type things just to point things out not necessairly directed at you just thoughts or facts that come to mind.

Nah! he does if you stick around long enough you'll see that he does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am now.

Well I can certainly tell you that try to watch it and form your own opinion from that... I hope you get a chance to see it.
    I intend to.

Think, who had Nobuo beaten to get a shot at Castillo? With something like 9 fights
    As I've said before to others here in the lower weight classes since early on it's very common to get title shots early on I mean look through the records and you can see this from 30 years ago it's not just now....
    I understand how often fighters with very few fights get shots at champions. They're are a lot less fighters in smaller weight divisions and the smaller fighters try to stay more active. I stated ehe hadn't beaten anyone to get a title shot earlier to see if someone had any information regarding why he did. It could have to do with his hype machine. Either way, we're really straying off topic here.

No not all.... I was just saying that things slip bye sometimes after how many Golota low blows to Bowe did the ref. finally catch on? I think it was after like 4 low blows.... Just recently we saw a ref. miss a knockdown in the JMM vs. MAB fight... I'm not saying it's right I'm saying things happen sometimes....
    If you believe this was the case, then the ref in question needs to be fired. He clearly isn't qualified for his job. It's not excusable to miss numerous low blows within the span of a minute without giving any caution. The low blow that ended the fight was obviosuly low from any angle.

How does that work then? It's like saying fighter a has been knocked out twenty consecutive times in the first round, but he will be champion one day, you'll see.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick

Well that happens EVERYWHERE not just Japan.... Do the names Grant, Bojado, JCC Jr. and Khan ring a bell. They were all being hyped or are being hyped to be megastars.
    Nobuo Nashiro(sp?) who beat Castillo was also being hyped I personally never believed the hype (You remember VD we had that talk about him) I knew Nobuo would loose against a World Class fighter and if you go to the Prediction Board and dig through the picks on the week that he fought Munoz I knew he would loose. I think Koki is getting the same treatment Nobuo got, the same treatment Kono and Niida are getting now.

My point was that people felt Koki lost and those people happened to be Koki fans..... Sometimes I type things just to point things out not necessairly directed at you just thoughts or facts that come to mind.

I remember the Nobuo conversation. And I remember you weren't sold on him either. But that doesn't mean Nobuo wasn't (is) a good fighter. He lost to Alexander Munoz. A world class fighter himself. So there is no shame in that. While Nobuo did nothing to earn his title shot. Kameda did. He beat Saman Sorjaturong and Noel Arambulet for it. Sorjaturong might of been washed up. But Noel Arambulet wasn't. And Kameda became the first man to stop Noel Arambulet. So I think Kameda earned a title shot.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick

I remember the Nobuo conversation. And I remember you weren't sold on him either. But that doesn't mean Nobuo wasn't (is) a good fighter. He lost to Alexander Munoz. A world class fighter himself. So there is no shame in that. While Nobuo did nothing to earn his title shot. Kameda did. He beat Saman Sorjaturong and Noel Arambulet for it. Sorjaturong might of been washed up. But Noel Arambulet wasn't. And Kameda became the first man to stop Noel Arambulet. So I think Kameda earned a title shot.
    Spot on VD....
    I hadn't seen anything on Noel prior to the Koki fight so my judgement was only based on his record and 1 articlet that mentioned a fight he was in....
    I just don't se Nobuo beating any of the top guys the Castillo fight is fair play even if it was stopped on cuts.
    Also it's worth mentioning the fight was close coming into the last 2 rounds so he did give Castillo fits....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I live in Japan and have seen him fight about seven times. Three times in person.

The answer to your question in the beginning of the thread is : the officials are probably not in his back pocket. Kameda has been great for boxing here as he has brought fans and advertising money to the sport, but he is a highly controversial boxer here for the reasons that you stated. He hasn't faced many strong opponents and the media hype is nauseating. Most people here didn't buy it and thought he was all style and no substance. The first fight with Landaeta in Aug 06 just added fuel to the fire, as most people here who watched it (and there were many) thought he was beaten soundly.

But much to his credit, he fought Landaeta again in Dec 06 and beat him pretty convincingly when nobody expected him to. It quieted some but not all of his critics. By then, he had trouble making weight at 108 and moved up to Flyweight which was a more natural weight for him according to his camp (his goal is to be champ in three weight classes eventually).

He'll eventually challenge for the WBA Flyweight (current champ is Takefumi Sakata)

Some things to keep in mind about Koki:

1. Kameda-Landaeta I was a damn good fight and a close one, too. Even though he got dropped and probably should have lost, he had Landaeta on the run a few times.
    2. We are still learning about Koki because he is young and his non-title fights have been against fairly weak opponents. Non-title fights here of course have Japanese officials and judges, etc.
    3. The Japanese boxing fans are most certainly NOT convinced he is the real thing yet, by far. They want to see him fight the big names just as much as you do!

Just my opinion but I hope this helps clear up a few things.

tb

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by tokyobox
    I live in Japan and have seen him fight about seven times. Three times in person.

The answer to your question in the beginning of the thread is : the officials are probably not in his back pocket. Kameda has been great for boxing here as he has brought fans and advertising money to the sport, but he is a highly controversial boxer here for the reasons that you stated. He hasn't faced many strong opponents and the media hype is nauseating. Most people here didn't buy it and thought he was all style and no substance. The first fight with Landaeta in Aug 06 just added fuel to the fire, as most people here who watched it (and there were many) thought he was beaten soundly.

But much to his credit, he fought Landaeta again in Dec 06 and beat him pretty convincingly when nobody expected him to. It quieted some but not all of his critics. By then, he had trouble making weight at 108 and moved up to Flyweight which was a more natural weight for him according to his camp (his goal is to be champ in three weight classes eventually).

He'll eventually challenge for the WBA Flyweight (current champ is Takefumi Sakata)

1. Kameda-Landaeta I was a damn good fight and a close one, too. Even though he got dropped and probably should have lost, he had Landaeta on the run a few times.
    2. We are still learning about Koki because he is young and his non-title fights have been against fairly weak opponents. Non-title fights here of course have Japanese officials and judges, etc.
    3. The Japanese boxing fans are most certainly NOT convinced he is the real thing yet, by far. They want to see him fight the big names just as much as you do!

tb

Excellent post friend,really interesting read. Have your first CoOl Click on me,I hope you like the site.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by tokyobox

tb
    Heres #2 on me and WELCOME aboard on the Saddo Express.... Hope you enjoy your stay here..
    You have discovered the greatest kept secret in Boxing Forums...
    Very happy to read that we have someone from Japan here... Let me tell you we have people from everywhere here...
    United Kingdom, USA, Korea, Phillipines, Puerto Rico, Germany, Hawaii and many other places now thanks to you we can add Japan....

Good post there on Koki and it's always great to read stuff like this from people who see/read this everyday...
    Hope you stay around for some time.... You'll love this place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When is this guy going to fight in US?

I heard he is one cocky SOB too.

Thread Information