Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How in God's name will this November card sell over 60,000 tickets?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How in God's name will this November card sell over 60,000 tickets?

The Millenium Stadium bill in March, even with Amir Khan on the undercard, a 15-fight undercard, tickets at £15 and relentless advertising around Wales for months, sold a reported (reported by Sports Network) 35,000 tickets (those there said it looked more like 20,000).

How can you top that without, say, Ricky Hatton on the card as well? You can't.

Kessler has never been on British TV, whereas everyone remembers Peter Manfredo from The Contender.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How in God's name will this November card sell over 60,000 tickets?

Oh and by the way, I hate to say it but Kessler may very well school Joe.

A lot of this fight depends on Kessler's power. If he can keep Calzaghe off him he'll win, if he hits hard enough he'll KO Joe coming in

In a slow paced boxing match Calzaghe doesn't have a hope, Kessler will pick him off left, right and centre. Calzaghe has always struggled against stand-up pure boxers (Opreda, Reid, Starie, Woodhall), he doesn't cut off the ring well, can't weave forward or stick the jab (he can flick the jab) or find gaps (you can't hit through gaps when you don't turn your knuckles). His only hope is to stick to Kessler's chest and try to take him out early with his winging hooks, or completely out-work him

I've got a feeling we'll see another Hamed-Barrera, with Kessler being Barrera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Calzaghe boxed out of his skin against Lacy, but he's never ever looked near that sharp in thought and reaction in any other fight and he's not exactly getting any younger (and his hand isn't exactly getting stronger)

I reckon Kessler gets him. Kessler's in his prime. He has some kind of back injuries so he avoids time-waster fights and tries to take lucrative matches/fights that count. Joe hasn't faced many long-range boxers. I think Joe finds himself out of range and, frustrated by the 4th round, he starts waving his right arm about as he does and throwing his left from out of range, falling from southpaw to orthodox. He does that and Kessler picks him to pieces

Mind you, neither of these guys are the best in the division. That's Froch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Everyone in wales wants this fight and cant wait to see it- i think 50-60k will turn up for it easy....

---

The reason why he looked so sharp in the lacy fight was down tot he fact he actualy had respectfor lacy and carried some fear into the fight... everyone else he knew he would school so just fucked about and fought to mancho..

Kessler is something he will take serious, even BEFORE he fought lacy he said then kessler will be his toughest fight a SMW...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Preme
    even BEFORE he fought lacy he said then kessler will be his toughest fight a SMW...
    No he didn't. He said Lacy was by far the 'best of the rest' and how Lacy would probably be even tougher than the Eubank fight

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Nium
    even BEFORE he fought lacy he said then kessler will be his toughest fight a SMW...
    No he didn't. He said Lacy by far the 'best of the rest' and how Lacy would probably be even tougher than the Eubank fight
    what fighters sya in public and what fighters say behinde the scenes are two different things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Everyone in wales wants this fight and cant wait to see it- i think 50-60k will turn up for it easy....

---

The reason why he looked so sharp in the lacy fight was down tot he fact he actualy had respectfor lacy and carried some fear into the fight... everyone else he knew he would school so just fucked about and fought to mancho..

Kessler is something he will take serious, even BEFORE he fought lacy he said then kessler will be his toughest fight a SMW...
    I think Preme's in the bes position to judge this and your probably right but i still cant seemore than 35 thousand turning up

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can see it and wouldnt back against Joe
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Really can't see Kessler beating Joe... he's fought stronger fighters and he's fought more skilled fighters... Kessler is good at what he does... but he's very, very text book...

He doesn't have enough of the 'x factor' to give Joe problems and although he's an athletic bloke... I really don't think that he's strong enough to be able to blast Joe out...

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Adam I meant 60,000
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The cheapest tickets for this fight were in fact £30 not £15 as originally stated.
    Calzaghes popularity has been helped by the fact that his fights are all shown free and primetime on ITV which is 1 of the main networks in the UK.

The only trouble I see with filling the stadium is casual boxing fans who went to the Manfredo farce being skeptical about the quality of opponent this time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Buncey said the cheapest tickets were £25 - that must mean they were 15

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After the last letdown (ref's fault) against Manfredo, I would be a little hesitant to shell out more cash.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Looking at Kessler's record there doesn't seem to be anybody worth mentioning on it except Beyer who was at the end of his career. The fight will be a Calzaghe-Lacy repeat almost certainly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Andrade was a tough opponent he totally handled but ya resume is just OK.

Kessler may be textbook but i'd argue he has one of best jabs in division which will cause huge problems for Calzaghe to stay in a rythm and he also has the punching power which also presents a huge concern. This fight is not a given for Joe at all and i think Kessler brings more elements of potential danger than Calzaghe who relies on hand speed.

Thread Information