Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Did Hagler ever hit the Canvas?

As far as I know he never even went down once in his career. Does this make him the hardest fighter in history to put down? I think JCChavez only went down once (Randall) though he was TKO'd (but still standing) by de la Hoya. WHo else would make this list?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Did Hagler ever hit the Canvas?

Omly against Roldan and it was more push thn shove. I doubt he has ever been really wobbled. His chin is made of New Hampshire granite.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ted The Bull
    Omly against Roldan and it was more push thn shove. I doubt he has ever been really wobbled. His chin is made of New Hampshire granite.
    ... as I'm sure Tommy Hearns will happily attest to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Manju
    As far as I know he never even went down once in his career. Does this make him the hardest fighter in history to put down? I think JCChavez only went down once (Randall) though he was TKO'd (but still standing) by de la Hoya. WHo else would make this list?
    Didn't Chavez go down with Tszyu? If not he was completely rocked. I think he went down in that fight. Hagler should have ended his career not being knocked down. The Roldan fight was Roldan hooking and catching the back of Hagler's head and Hagler going down from a push down. He jumped right back up and complained to the ref about that being a knockdown. He was not hurt. Roldan was just so strong he actually took Hagler down with a hook which missed. After Roldan fought Hearns, Hearns had bruises on his back. Roldan hit hard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan

of all the Hagler fights I have seen, the Hearns fight is the only fight where I saw him hurt and his legs give out a little and he had to regroup and hold. But to his credit he came right back and started throwing punches. Hearns is the only guy that I know actually hurt him and made Marvin flinch.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LegendBoxing65
    Didn't Chavez go down with Tszyu? If not he was completely rocked. I think he went down in that fight. Hagler should have ended his career not being knocked down. The Roldan fight was Roldan hooking and catching the back of Hagler's head and Hagler going down from a push down. He jumped right back up and complained to the ref about that being a knockdown. He was not hurt. Roldan was just so strong he actually took Hagler down with a hook which missed. After Roldan fought Hearns, Hearns had bruises on his back. Roldan hit hard.
    Yes your right Tszyu did deck Chavez.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

of all the Hagler fights I have seen, the Hearns fight is the only fight where I saw him hurt and his legs give out a little and he had to regroup and hold. But to his credit he came right back and started throwing punches. Hearns is the only guy that I know actually hurt him and made Marvin flinch.
    That was classic, wasn't it? When Tommy threw those big guns at Hagler (that would've KO'd 99.99% of Earth's population), and Hagler momentarily flinched and came back firing............ I felt sorry for Hearns, 'cause he must've said to himself: "Oh sh*t, he's still upright!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    Yes your right Tszyu did deck Chavez.
    Chavez had an incredible chin. I am not sure how much of it is defensive and how much chin. But Hagler and Chavez both had good chins. They were hit clean at times and didn't go anywhere. Hagler might have had the best chin in the history of boxing. He took two punchers in Hearns and Mugabi and pretty much walked through their punches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That was classic, wasn't it? When Tommy threw those big guns at Hagler (that would've KO'd 99.99% of Earth's population), and Hagler momentarily flinched and came back firing............ I felt sorry for Hearns, 'cause he must've said to himself: "Oh sh*t, he's still upright!"
    He said that in an interview later. He said I landed my hardest punch and it didn't hardly hurt him. So I knew I had to throw something harder, but I just threw my hardest punch at him. He said he just fought and prayed. Let me find that interview. It is on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIIamTvnZj4[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mIIamTvnZj4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mIIamTvnZj4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As great of a fight as that was, I never got a full appreciation of it until well after I saw it. Seeing as how I was born after the fight, the first time I saw that fight, it was my first time watching both guys. Now I've seen most everything from Hearns, and now I have an appreciation of just how powerful that right hand is.

You're right, I can not imagine the feeling of just having someone walk through that when you know you connected with a perfect punch.

Hagler was a beast.

Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes Juan Domingo Roldan is credited with flooring Marvin , but wasnt really a knockdown.
    He had a great chin and i really hated him for beating my hero Tommy Hearns but i got over it
    ive met Marvin at 2 dinner speaches and hes a top guy
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat

As great of a fight as that was, I never got a full appreciation of it until well after I saw it. Seeing as how I was born after the fight, the first time I saw that fight, it was my first time watching both guys. Now I've seen most everything from Hearns, and now I have an appreciation of just how powerful that right hand is.

You're right, I can not imagine the feeling of just having someone walk through that when you know you connected with a perfect punch.

Hagler was a beast.
    I am not sure something like that happens in alot of fights. Rarely do fighters force another guy to throw his best punch so he can take his confidence away. Not that Hagler wanted to get hit with the punch, but Marvin walked right in and he was hit hard. And he wobbled and was hurt but he stayed up and regrouped in seconds and threw punches even harder and since Hearns right hand was broken what could Hearns do? I do notice how swelled Hagler's face was after the 3rd round, so the fact that Hearns could have regrouped and landed jabs and boxed was a possibility- Marvin was cut and Hearns was so sharp with his jab and punches. Had the fight gone even to round 6 Marvin would have been all swelled up, but by that point Hearns was exhausted. Hagler relied on his middleweight strength and his determination. Hagler almost forced Hearns to throw the right hand and find out what would happen.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats why Hagler V Hearns is the most exciting high profile fight ever. Eubanks had a solid gin too, although he was knocked down by Benn (slip) and Galzaghe. A power puncher in Thompson could not knock him down.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hearns wobbled him with that upper cut in the first round of their fight. It would have been interesting to see if Tommy could have finished the job if he didn't break his hand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master
    Thats why Hagler V Hearns is the most exciting high profile fight ever. Eubanks had a solid gin too, although he was knocked down by Benn (slip) and Galzaghe. A power puncher in Thompson could not knock him down.
    I liked Ali-Frazier more.

Thread Information