Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Hatton : Mayweather must make light-welter to fight me

Ricky Hatton's father, Ray, said yesterday that Floyd Mayweather would have to come down to light-welterweight if he wanted to figure in a contest between the two undefeated fighters in November.

Mayweather's last contest was at light-middleweight, one stone heavier than Hatton's division, and the American has since indicated that he will now fight as a welterweight, at 10st 7lb. Ray Hatton's statement seems to rule out the possibility of a Hatton-Mayweather fight this year, with New York's Paulie Malignaggi, the WBA light-welterweight champion, still most likely to get the Hatton engagement.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/boxing/s...125503,00.html

The Hatton camp know Mayweather is never going to come down to 140. They're ducking him. Maybe they're ducking because they think they can make more money with alternative fights, that's the most charitable way of looking at this. I wonder what PBF will have to say about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Hatton : Mayweather must make light-welter to fight me

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing
    The Hatton camp know Mayweather is never going to come down to 140. They're ducking him. Maybe they're ducking because they think they can make more money with alternative fights, that's the most charitable way of looking at this. I wonder what PBF will have to say about it.
    Yep. If Hatton won't fight above 140, then he's basically ending any chance of this fight happening. Mayweather's not coming below 147, and he shouldn't have to.
    As for what Mayweather will say about it, he'll say Hatton's ducking him, and he'll be right.

I'd like to see a Hatton-Malignaggi fight. It will be interesting to see what Floyd decides to do.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Personally even though I'm a patriotic Brit I'd love to see Floyd drop down two divisions and come to England and knock Hatton spark out in Wembley Stadium.

If Hatton won't move up one division to fight a guy whose a natural lightweight in the biggest possible fight against the world's premier fighter then personally I have no interest in what he does from here on.

Let him go after the Malignaggi's and Vivian Harris' of the world whilst the real players like Floyd and Cotto get on with fighting each other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He shouldn't have too much trouble with Hatton even at 140 he's only weighed 150 at his highest. I know its all muscle, but he has what almost 4 months to lose it? REgardless Hatton is being a pussy and they should fight at 145. The funniest thing is that Hatton is naturally about 30 pounds heavier than Mayweather, and the bigger the weight the more it suits him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    Personally even though I'm a patriotic Brit I'd love to see Floyd drop down two divisions and come to England and knock Hatton spark out in Wembley Stadium.

If Hatton won't move up one division to fight a guy whose a natural lightweight then personally I have no interest in what he does from here on.

Let him go after the Malignaggi's and Vivian Harris' of the world whilst the real players like Floyd and Cotto get on with fighting each other.
    Mayweather was more of a natural super-featherweight than anything else.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth

If Hatton won't move up one division to fight a guy whose a natural lightweight then personally I have no interest in what he does from here on.

Mayweather was more of a natural super-featherweight than anything else.
    Exactly, Hatton just shows time and again that even he doesn't believe he's good enough to be great.

If I were Hatton, unbeaten and hungry to prove myself against the world's best I'd be going flat out to make this fight. Since when has any world champion had to be dictated the terms by a challenger let alone the p4p best in the world?

Hatton is a joker, he likes to shout Floyd's name about and try and convince the media and boxing fans that he's in that class but he clearly knows he doesn't belong as evidenced by his actions and comments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A 145 catchweight would be the fairest thing to do. If not that then PBF could make 140 if he wanted to. I mean what's he worried about, PBF being a strong, brute type fighter? I don't like the move by the Hatton camp to pull this. It makes me wonder if he really wants this fight.

Hatton needs PBF more than PBF needs Hatton IMO. It will play itself out one way or another. But whatever does happen, no one can blame PBF if this fight does'nt get made at this point.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by silent assassin
    A 145 catchweight would be the fairest thing to do. If not that then PBF could make 140 if he wanted to. I mean what's he worried about, PBF being a strong, brute type fighter? I don't like the move by the Hatton camp to pull this. It makes me wonder if he really wants this fight.

Hatton needs PBF more than PBF needs Hatton IMO. It will play itself out one way or another. But whatever does happen, no one can blame PBF if this fight does'nt get made at this point.
    To be honest fighting Hatton adds no more to Floyd's resume than fighting Baldimor or Gatti imo.

Honestly who even cares about Hatton? I'd rather see Floyd in with Cotto, Margarito, Mosely, Ouma, Karmazin, Spinks, hell even Mayorga or Vargas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have to disagree a little in that Hatton with his ability to close the gap, and fight the exact fight that gives Mayweather problems means he is a more dangerous fighter to face Mayweather than Vargas(who can't get down to 154), Mayorga(who I doubt can get down to it anymore), Ouma(who isn't good enough), Karmazin(who isn't wellk known). I think Hatton also gives Mayweather more troubles than Margarito.

I think the hardest fight for him is Spinks, but Spinks would have had to win the 160, and come back down for that to happen. I felt he beat Taylor, but he didn't on the scorecards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have to disagree a little in that Hatton with his ability to close the gap, and fight the exact fight that gives Mayweather problems means he is a more dangerous fighter to face Mayweather than Vargas(who can't get down to 154), Mayorga(who I doubt can get down to it anymore), Ouma(who isn't good enough), Karmazin(who isn't wellk known). I think Hatton also gives Mayweather more troubles than Margarito.

I think the hardest fight for him is Spinks, but Spinks would have had to win the 160, and come back down for that to happen. I felt he beat Taylor, but he didn't on the scorecards.
    Disagree here with the points in bold. Hatton is not the type of fighter who can give Floyd problems at this point, in fact, he's the exact antithesis of the type of fighter who can beat Floyd. Hatton is short, with short arms, and no jab. This is the type of fighter that can be picked apart by a fighter like Floyd.
    It's been proven over and over again that the weapon that neutralizes a great speed/defense fighter like Floyd is a long authorative jab. Hatton doesn't have the ability or the body type to beat a Mayweather-type fighter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To be honest fighting Hatton adds no more to Floyd's resume than fighting Baldimor or Gatti imo.

Honestly who even cares about Hatton? I'd rather see Floyd in with Cotto, Margarito, Mosely, Ouma, Karmazin, Spinks, hell even Mayorga or Vargas.
    Yeah, but Hatton is undefeated & has a HUGE following. It's a fight that can be hyped to the hills. That's a good thing for boxing. And it's a BIG $$$ fight for both guys.

I actually would also like to see PBF vs Cotto or Mosely to. But this fight does makes sense. And it would only be good for boxing. I beleive that PBF would put a clinic on Hatton. But I also think that Hatton is a damn good fighter & I take nothing away from him. IMO Cotto & Mosely would have the best chances to take PBF out.

And u gotta be honest. Even if ur not a beleiver in Hatton, do u really beleive that this would be the same as a fight vs Baldomir or Gatti?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea

Disagree here with the points in bold. Hatton is not the type of fighter who can give Floyd problems at this point, in fact, he's the exact antithesis of the type of fighter who can beat Floyd. Hatton is short, with short arms, and no jab. This is the type of fighter that can be picked apart by a fighter like Floyd.
    It's been proven over and over again that the weapon that neutralizes a great speed/defense fighter like Floyd is a long authorative jab. Hatton doesn't have the ability or the body type to beat a Mayweather-type fighter.
    I agree completely I think Floyd would destroy Hatton, it wouldn't even be a fight. For me big strong guys like Margarito, Williams and even Cintron would present a far bigger challenge to Floyd as he'd stuggle to get close enough to do damage and then get away.

Hatton with his stubby little arms wouldn't even get close to landing in a 100 rounds let alone 12.

It's a complete mismatch imo.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And u gotta be honest. Even if ur not a beleiver in Hatton, do u really beleive that this would be the same as a fight vs Baldomir or Gatti?
    Once it's all done and over I think that is exactly how it will be viewed. Remember Gatti had a huge fanbase who were deluded into believing he could outmuscle Floyd and Baldimor was the undisputed linear champion at 147 with wins over Judah and Gatti.

It's only the complete ease with which Floyd beat them that clouds judgement in retrospect.

We've seen the same again already with his win over Oscar.

He fights Hatton, he beats him easily and people will just say Hatton was an overatted, over protected European fighter who was way too small for Floyd and that in taking the fight he was just avoiding Cotto or Mosely.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing
    Ricky Hatton's father, Ray, said yesterday that Floyd Mayweather would have to come down to light-welterweight if he wanted to figure in a contest between the two undefeated fighters in November.

Mayweather's last contest was at light-middleweight, one stone heavier than Hatton's division, and the American has since indicated that he will now fight as a welterweight, at 10st 7lb. Ray Hatton's statement seems to rule out the possibility of a Hatton-Mayweather fight this year, with New York's Paulie Malignaggi, the WBA light-welterweight champion, still most likely to get the Hatton engagement.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/boxing/s...125503,00.html

It's pretty much Hatton coming to his sense's. He knows he can't beat Mayweather. So he makes an unreasonable demand to make sure the fight doesn't happen. Hatton doesn't have to fight Mayweather. I'm pretty sure fighting the winner of Souleymane M'baye-Gavin Rees will be just as big.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm a bigger fan of Hatton than I am of PBF, but it certainly looks like Hatton is scared of going up to 147 again. I'd love to see this fight, though it doesn't look too promising right now. It doesn't really matter what weight they fight at anyways, Hatton is taylor-made for PBF, and Floyd stops Hatton and makes it look easy at any weight.

Thread Information