Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: If these two get it on who wins

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Could Paul Williams be the man to beat Floyd?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Could Paul Williams be the man to beat Floyd?

willaims wouldnt be aloowed to be busy, margarito is strait up and comes forward so u could be busy against him, with floyd u usally miss alot of punches so its hard to be busy, i see another floyd- caroles type fight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Williams certainly has the type of style that will bother any welterweight, including Mayweather.

I've always said that when you have an elite speed/defense fighter like Mayweather, it's not the straight ahead body punchers that bother them, it's the long, rangy fighters with jabs.
    To beat Williams, Floyd would have to constantly get inside Williams' reach to land punches. That's very tough to do. Floyd could beat Williams, but it will be tough to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

floyd would get inside,because PW doesn't have the footwork to get away..he'll stumble...margarito closed the distance not because he started landed but simply because paul's leg got tired....

he doesn't use his footwork to stay away, he uses a lot of punches, and if anybody saw he fight sharmba, and pank@#$$%%%$ or whoever that guy was...paul would just stand there with the clearly shorter guys and just pat away without any concern for defense..he'll get hit all night..i don't think he's ready yet..add a few more pounds of pressure to his jab and then he'll be the man at 147...i think even he know's it as he named cotto first-mayweather second...
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

mayweather beats him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Williams would win a comfortable decision against Floyd but the fight will never happen because Floys knows who he can and cant beat.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by clean
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    Quote Originally Posted by smashcrusher
    Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise
    Ah, no.
    Thank you. Williams is good but why is it when someone comes off a win, everyone immediately thinks they can beat the best who's in their division? DLH beats Mayorga and everyone on this board is saying he'll slay everyone, Mosley beats Vargas and all the sudden he's the second coming of Tommy Hearns. And now Williams beats Antonio Margarito 8 rounds to 4 so he's gonna beat Floyd Mayweather I don't think so.
    Fair point, I'm not saying Williams is the best fighter in the world I'm just putting the question out there as to how stylistically would Floyd solve the Williams puzzle.

In recent fights Floyd has won by staying on the outside and relying on his superior speed to pick of his opponents with single shot combinations.

How does he possibly stay on the outside of a man who's practically got a whole extra arm's length in wingspan to him?

Oscar WAS able to back up Floyd early and apply pressure but he tired late on and Floyd took over. We just saw against Margarito that Williams doesn't gas and unlike Oscar who got punch shy in the final rounds Williams was just a whirlwind from start to finish.

If you going to even make a post saying Williams loses end of, at least tell us how what strategy you think Floyd will adopt and HOW he will win.

This isn't just a yes or no poll I want reasons and opinions as to HOW this fight would pan out
    When has reach ever been a problem for Floyd. He nearly is always at a disadvantage as far as reach. The fact of the matter is this, styles only come into play against one dimensional fighters, rarely against well rounded world class fighters. The way to beat well rounded world class fighters is to impose your will on them, and that is not how Williams fights. A fighter with the aggression of a Castillo/Hatton/Cotto are the only ones with a chance to beat Floyd, and IMO Floyd beats even all of them. Face it, Floyd is simply better in every phase of the game than Williams.
    Ive got like 4 pages to read through yet but this one just got to me.

Fact: Floyd has only once fought a man with a bigger reach than himself.... Oscar, a man who had a whoping ONE-inch reach advantage.

Paul Williams has a TEN-inch reach advantage
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've said it before on other threads, for me is not so much the reach, though that is a huge factor, but how busy Williams is. Close to 100 pounches per round. Constantly shooting that jab.

The man that will beat Floyd will do so by outworking him and keeping him on the defensive.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yep but its more than that.

A year ago or so id say ''Hatton will give Floyd so much trouble becuase he dosent stop throwing''.

In hindsight that is a pretty amaturish statement but still, a huge punch-output is defo part of the master plan. Nevermind the Jesus Chavez fight (smaller man leaning-on and getting hit with a stupid amount of upercuts). Williams is a giant. There'll be no leaning-on up close, so Floyds options of return-fire will be limited (If any).

The other part of the plan is what goes on on the outside... The outside is a horrible place for both fighters here.

Most say the jab is key, but i dont think its quite that simple becuase Oscar activity on the outside (In Floyds last fight) was very slight (hands up looking to parry and move in closer). So IMO, the jab when thrown, was probably a regular suprise to Floyd. Point being, if the Jab is constant, it can be timed and will not be a threat...

Hoever to Pauls credit, it will be a HUGE irritant as Floyd just wont have the luxury of space and time to land his shots. He will HAVE to be all over the place... in, out and in between and countering carefully between all this.
    Leading off wont work. If Floyd is 1st (Which he is perfectly capable of) Paul will be 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th.

The only way i see Floyd winning is if he is more agressive with his movemnt, is far more willing to punch and he will have to tie Williams up form time to time. (Its not that unatural for Floyd... He had to do this against Oscar from time to time too)
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To answer the original question......No !!!
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mar
    To answer the original question......No !!!
    Aha but why?
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Williams doesn't really use his jab its more of a range finder and a set up. Williams is really an inside fighter in a tall frame so Floyd wouldn't be bothered to get inside, he gives angles too and smaller guys seem to get inside on Williams just fine they just don't do anything with it. Floyd would and could beat Williams
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Thread Information