Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Yeah Gomez won, but...and a little bit on "K9" too

I'm not really sure he's ready to go against the elite of the division. We see he can beat up a elite wash up, but can he can he pass the test against the best?? I say no, well, Not yet. I guess they can do him like they did to Cotto, Have him fight Zab Judah, and see if he can stand against someone with tremendous hand and foot speed. And it would be a good return fight for Zab Judah, (after at least 2 or 3 tune ups this time!!!). But I really can't see Gomez fighting in the likes of Cotto, Mosely, Judah (still would want to see that one though), Williams, and Others.... Not yet

I also wonder if K9 Bundrage is cursed to be a journyman boxer...because if he was to win that last fight against Julio on WNF, he would really get beat up by the elite guys of the division...

Just my thoughts, what yall think??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Yeah Gomez won, but...and a little bit on "K9" too

Gomez will be used now as a gate-keeper in the division, any decent prospects will be matched with him because after the Contender he guarentees viewers. Andre Berto vs. Alfonso Gomez would be the kind of fights he wil get in the future. if he beats one of the prospects he will get a big shot (like Quintana after beating Joel Julio).

Bundrage is just going to be a journey man now, he has proved he isn't a top 10 welter.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gomez beat a shot Arturo Gatti. Doesn't mean all of a sudden he's a good fighter or championship threat. He's a journey man plain and simple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My guess is Gomez will get the Chavez Jr. fight that was originally set up for Gatti. Chavez Jr. is looking for a guy with some name recognition, and Gomez's status as a "Contender" fighter with an emphatic win over Gatti will give him that. I think both are basically B-listers, but it has the potential to be an exciting fight if it happens. Neither would be able to compete with the divisions best, IMHO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise
    Gomez beat a shot Arturo Gatti. Doesn't mean all of a sudden he's a good fighter or championship threat. He's a journey man plain and simple.
    calm down. nobody said he was a championship threat. the guy doesn't was stating some options that gomez might have after beating a shot named fighter.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

for not having really any amateur experience i think that Chavez Jr is shaping up quite nicely, i mean his skills improve in every fight, and i think that a fight with Gomez would be good for him, it wont show that he's ready for a title or anything, but it would be in a way a step up in competition, i think Jr would win though, i think his size advantage against most the welters (although not as big as Williams) gives him a future advantage, i mean he's only 21 and has no amatuer experience, and he's constantly getting better, so i think we should give the kid and his little brother a chance, and think of them as fighters not the sons of Julio Cesar Chavez

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gomez will go onto have a decent career. I think he will prove himself to be a decent level 'opponent' for the top guys coming through.

It wouldn't suprise me at all to see him decision Chavez Jr, I even think he has the potential to cause prospects like Berto and Julio a few problems.

Gomez is better than people give him credit for and I see him causing a few minor upsets. He's just Feliciano, no world beater but capable of pulling off a shock or two. His boxing ability is better than given credit for and if he works on his conditioning, and stays of the weed he'll do well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gomez is still crap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is a bit dated but makes my point. I predicted he would ice Gatti in the mid to late rounds and I was pleased that he did, but he was a lot faster than he has ever been before. He was throweing back up rights after his right lead.

Alfonso Gomez: Why I like him

Alfonso Gomez, 16-3 -2 with 7 ko's, lives in Tustin, California and was born in Guadalajara, Mexico. He is articulate, intelligent and highly personable...all traits that make this 26 year old middleweight one of the more popular fighters today. His amateur record was an impressive 80-10. Like so many young fighters, he originally started boxing as self-defense from the street toughs. He went professional in 2001.

Gomez fought Ishe Smith in just his second fight and Jesse Feliciano in his 4th. In his 6th, he fought Dumont Welliver, 12-1-1 coming in, then Michael Santos, 6-0, Feliciano again (who was 8-1 at the time), and Juan Carlos Amezcua, 9-0. Finally, he got somewhat of a breather when he fought Antonio Garcia who was 14-16. After a few more fights, he ended Peter Manfredo Jr's unbeaten record of 21-0. He later beat tough Jesse Brinkley, 25-2.

On May 4, he fought long time rival Jesse Feliciano for the third time in a brutal eight round battle. Despite a strong showing, the fight was declared a draw. He then fought Carson Jones, 12-2, on August 25 and put on a clinic with his skills before knocking out Jones in the 8th canter. More recently, he won a Contenders bout in the UK with a one-sided win over mismatched Martin Conception. In short, he has split two with Peter Manfredo Jr and three (one was a draw) with Jesse Feliciano. The same Jesse who recently beat Delvin Rodriguez in a great come-from-behind thriller at Foxwoods.

When I watch him fight, I am reminded of a guy who went to battle in the 50s and 60s and that's probably why I like him so much. He has an "old school" willingness to fight other tough fighters multiple times and I highly respect that sort of thing. There is no padding in Alfonso Gomez's record.

Gomez is an orthodox fighter who meshes Mexican macho with American technique. While the result has not yet become a killer cocktail like that of Barrera or Marquez, the potential is definitely there. Still, his all-action style is very crowd pleasing. His head feints, leg movement, combos and other moves are old school. Though he tends to take too many shots, his chin is solid. He also has a tendency to fight at the level of his opposition. Of course, when the opposition is as good as his record reflects, that may not be a bad thing.

If I have any real criticism, it's that he sometimes throws one shot at a time and admires his work, but when he puts punches together in combos and uses his vaunted left hook, he is extremely effective. He does seem to tire a bit in the mid-rounds which sometimes allow his opponents back into the fight. He needs to become a more decisive closer and with Sugar Ray Leonard around, that should quickly become part of his tool box. All in all, his negatives lend themselves to quick correction and when resolved, he will become even more formidable.

When he called out Peter Manfredo in the first contender series, viewers were pleasantly surprised at his hubris. But when he beat him, viewers were shocked. What was lost in this was Alfonso's machismo. He could have selected someone less imposing as Peter, but he would have none of that. Only the toughest would suit him. And that's when I became an Alfonso Gomez fan.

"I'm not worried about the competition . . . It's just a matter of who wants it most, and I want it more than anything in the world." Alfonso Gomez

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cc ya ted
    im a huge gomez fan as well ever since his contender series
    i believe he's underrated. he's one of the most talented fighters to ever come out of a fighting reality show.
    Lightning Strikes Twice

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ted The Bull
    This is a bit dated but makes my point. I predicted he would ice Gatti in the mid to late rounds and I was pleased that he did, but he was a lot faster than he has ever been before. He was throweing back up rights after his right lead.

Alfonso Gomez: Why I like him

Alfonso Gomez, 16-3 -2 with 7 ko's, lives in Tustin, California and was born in Guadalajara, Mexico. He is articulate, intelligent and highly personable...all traits that make this 26 year old middleweight one of the more popular fighters today. His amateur record was an impressive 80-10. Like so many young fighters, he originally started boxing as self-defense from the street toughs. He went professional in 2001.

Gomez fought Ishe Smith in just his second fight and Jesse Feliciano in his 4th. In his 6th, he fought Dumont Welliver, 12-1-1 coming in, then Michael Santos, 6-0, Feliciano again (who was 8-1 at the time), and Juan Carlos Amezcua, 9-0. Finally, he got somewhat of a breather when he fought Antonio Garcia who was 14-16. After a few more fights, he ended Peter Manfredo Jr's unbeaten record of 21-0. He later beat tough Jesse Brinkley, 25-2.

On May 4, he fought long time rival Jesse Feliciano for the third time in a brutal eight round battle. Despite a strong showing, the fight was declared a draw. He then fought Carson Jones, 12-2, on August 25 and put on a clinic with his skills before knocking out Jones in the 8th canter. More recently, he won a Contenders bout in the UK with a one-sided win over mismatched Martin Conception. In short, he has split two with Peter Manfredo Jr and three (one was a draw) with Jesse Feliciano. The same Jesse who recently beat Delvin Rodriguez in a great come-from-behind thriller at Foxwoods.

When I watch him fight, I am reminded of a guy who went to battle in the 50s and 60s and that's probably why I like him so much. He has an "old school" willingness to fight other tough fighters multiple times and I highly respect that sort of thing. There is no padding in Alfonso Gomez's record.

Gomez is an orthodox fighter who meshes Mexican macho with American technique. While the result has not yet become a killer cocktail like that of Barrera or Marquez, the potential is definitely there. Still, his all-action style is very crowd pleasing. His head feints, leg movement, combos and other moves are old school. Though he tends to take too many shots, his chin is solid. He also has a tendency to fight at the level of his opposition. Of course, when the opposition is as good as his record reflects, that may not be a bad thing.

If I have any real criticism, it's that he sometimes throws one shot at a time and admires his work, but when he puts punches together in combos and uses his vaunted left hook, he is extremely effective. He does seem to tire a bit in the mid-rounds which sometimes allow his opponents back into the fight. He needs to become a more decisive closer and with Sugar Ray Leonard around, that should quickly become part of his tool box. All in all, his negatives lend themselves to quick correction and when resolved, he will become even more formidable.

When he called out Peter Manfredo in the first contender series, viewers were pleasantly surprised at his hubris. But when he beat him, viewers were shocked. What was lost in this was Alfonso's machismo. He could have selected someone less imposing as Peter, but he would have none of that. Only the toughest would suit him. And that's when I became an Alfonso Gomez fan.

"I'm not worried about the competition . . . It's just a matter of who wants it most, and I want it more than anything in the world." Alfonso Gomez

good posting. Gomez is the kind of fighter who is great for boxing, poilte and respectful ,will fight anyone and who likes to brawl.

He'smuch better than just another reality show star. When you consider he's beaten genuine middleweights like Brinkley, Kuddour and Manfredo, yet is only a welterweight himself it's impressive. For those who say he's a bum I'd like to know what fights you think he fought like a bum in?

He's a good, solid, throwback fighter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

YEH dude love Alfonso Gomez he's the man

Hard luck for K-9 though but he should'nt of took the fight on 3 weeks notice.

Have you been on Alfonso's site (Should be an update after Gatti fight soon)

www.alfonsosgomez.com

By the way Alfonso "S" Gomez the S stands for superman if any's wondering.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think he's a good tough fighter, although i don't really see him as a future world champion, i think he can give lots of top guys a good fight, but don't really see him being a huge threat to any of the top guys, i think that he'd have good fights with the likes of Collazo, Clottey, and probably even Judah, but i don't think he has enough to beat Margarito, Williams, Cotto, Cintron, Hatton, DLH, Mosley, or Mayweather

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I actually was somewhat impressed with gomez...and think that previous fight oversees for the contender vs uk thing was timed perfect to help him go into this fight facing a hostile crowd. He jumped on gatti from the very begining not at all respecting where he was or who he was fighting. But the main thing i liked was his interview afterwards. Gomez didn't come off the win claming to be the greatest and ready to take on all the champs in one night......instead he seems to know his place and realized that hey i didn't just beat mayweather or even a prime gatti..(who think at this weight he still would've beat) i'm just doing my job and working my way to the top..will he ever get there i dunno but i like how he has a realistc focus,not jumping up and claiming he can beat mayweather like everyone seems to think they can do after every win these days...
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh and as far as my opinion on k-9 i'm not sure what his future holds, but a guy who really only has one thing that big right hand is easy to prepare for and beat unfortunatly.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Thread Information