Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If the Roy Jones thought fought Griffin, had fought Tarver what would be the ...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default If the Roy Jones thought fought Griffin, had fought Tarver what would be the ...

What would be the outcome. The Jones that fought Montell Griffin in their second fight, had no fear and was willing to take chances. I think Tarver would have been TKOed.

ICB Guest

Default Re: If the Roy Jones thought fought Griffin, had fought Tarver what would be the ...

Quote Originally Posted by BigMix27
    What would be the outcome. The Jones that fought Montell Griffin in their second fight, had no fear and was willing to take chances. I think Tarver would have been TKOed.
    Jones could of took Tarver in 3rd fight aswell but anyway onto this i think Jones would of tkoed Tarver in 10 rounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If the Roy Jones thought fought Griffin, had fought Tarver what would be the ...

the second griffin fight..that roy beats anybody ever..

the first griffin fight..that roy beats anybody ever just not as bad as the second version would..

tarver was expecting roy to come out and attempt to kill him that's why when roy threw tarver just put his head down, closed his eyes and threw..and what do ya know he landed..and because of that lucky punch in the second fight...he already won the third fight because he did more damage to roy mentally than physically...
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tarver wouldn't have lasted 3 rounds

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes Roy just got old when Tarver beat him.
    in his prime Roy was unbeatable
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy would have won a unanimous decision but Tarver would put up a respectable effort and there's no way he'd be stopped. People forget Tarver has a very good chin and he would always stylistically pose problems for Roy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If the Roy Jones thought fought Griffin, had fought Tarver what would be the

tarver woulda had that " " look on his face liek he did gainst hopkins only it would last 2 rounds

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If the Roy Jones thought fought Griffin, had fought Tarver what would be the

Part of the reason he had "no fear" was that he knew that Griffin couldn't punch worth a shit. On the other hand, he knew Tarver could punch.

I remember people talking about how "RJ" would come out in the second Tarver fight, and it always seemed like bullshit. Roy knew that he had to respect Tarver's power more than he did Griffin's. And I agree that a prime Roy would have beaten him but I think there was something about Tarver and his style that bothered Roy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Total bs to the extreme. Roy could not have fought tarve rlike that totally different stature he is a long man long arms you get countered, he would never have devastaed tarver like that no way no how. I never thought tarver was all that good but montel griffin is another b fighter, he was a good crafty fighter nothing special more hype more hype yes I know he beat toney, keep in mind toney was getting absultley dominated against michel nunn before he caught him with a single punch...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy fought plenty of guys Tarver's size and speed. Roy in his prime was much different fighter than he was when he fought Tarver. If Hopkins could counter Tarver, and not get hit than prime Roy would have never been hit. Tarver had a hard time keeping up with Hopkins, but Roy has much faster feet than Hopkins. I could easily see Roy ko'ing Tarver or more likely finding out that its just as easy to take him to a UD, but I think it would be very stupid of him to fight Tarver like he did Griffin... Tarver is a southpaw who is a pretty good counter puncher and he can punch pretty hard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

roy was what 32-33 years old what was his excuse??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

actually he was 35...
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy in top form wouldn't have went after Tarver like he did against Griffin in the second fight, but he would have eventually picked him apart and broke him down. Would it have been as quick and brutal as griffin, I dont think so. That was personal.

The combination of the beating an embarrassment that is levied upon tarver most like lies somewhere between David Telesco and Richard Hall. Tarver is a one hit wonder who happened to be in the right place at the right time(as was glen johnson). After tarver he got beat by hopkins, he jumped on the "I was poisoned" bandwagon and he'll probably spend the rest of his career trying to get everyone to believe he was the greatest fighter that even lived and would be have a perfect record if people didnt keep sneaking crack into his steaks.

Great fighters make their name by beating more than one great fighter. The only 2 people tarver beat was an emaciated Roy jones jr... and the other guy who claimed to be great after beating an emaciated, gunshy roy jones jr. who rushed himself back into the ring too fast.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Are you related to Starr?

I'm asking cause Starr usually makes those kind of statements.

'If THE Zab Judah that fought so and so would have fought so and so he would win'

I'm sorry but I hate reading/hearing that..... I just do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lightning reflexes and speed.
    Not to mention his decent power.
    That is what made RJJ famous, but technically he isn't so great. His natural abilities were so far superior to everyones that it took almost 50 fights to figure him out.
    I am a RJJ fan, so I would like to say he would have beaten down Tarver, but being realistic I would have to say that Tarver had his number and exposed Roy weaknesses. Good to see that Roy is working with trainers now, rather than being self trained.

Thread Information