Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: should floyd of gone down to meet hatton?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default should floyd of gone down to meet hatton?

Now hear me out;

Yes floyd is the man, yes hatton called floyd out, yes this fight should happen on floyds terms, i totaly agree with that...

But looking at this outside the box, this win would be better for mayweather at 140 for 2 reasons..

One; Everyone who is anti floyd, and alot of neutrals will all say once this fight is over "We already knew hatton was average at 147, he only just beat collazo!" - so if mayweather went down and whooped ricky at 140, they may say he should of fought cotto or mosley, but it would been at hattons weight, that they could not question...

Two; Mayweather has never been the man at LWW - sure he beat a good champ in gattin, but tsyu was the man, and hatton became the man after he beat Tszyu... if floyd went down there he would hold another ring belt and claim undisputed at another wright...

I really don't see how hatton gaining 7 pounds will slow him or weak him, or floyd going down to 140 haveing an effect either... this fight will go the same way if it was at 140 or 147...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: should floyd of gone down to meet hatton?

you never know, going from 154 to 140 isn't really the best idea for Floyd its a lot fairer hatton gaining 7 lbs and floyd dropping 7 lbs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ACEA
    you never know, going from 154 to 140 isn't really the best idea for Floyd its a lot fairer hatton gaining 7 lbs and floyd dropping 7 lbs
    That, and it wouldnt really matter.. Floyd doesn't rely on his power, if he was down to a healthy 140 without being weight drained then he may be even faster for Hatton. To be honest, i don't see it being that big of a difference in weight considering we're speaking of Floyd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

but yo-yoing back and forth between weights isn't the cleverest idea, Roy jones found out the hard way, it may not be as dramatic a weight loss as Roy but losing 14 lbs may not be so forgiving as 7lbs. Floyd's 30 now his metabolic rate may soon start to slow down a little so coming down may not be as easy as going up, maybe it will make no difference but why take the risk?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd would have NEVER gone down to 140. Don't forget...Floyd has an enormous ego...and going down in weight to fight Hatton would have meant he was giving in to Ricky's demands. Plus, Floyd isn't stupid...he wants to have the BEST chance to win. Could he have gone down to 140 and beaten Hatton...he probably could have. But he knows at 147 he has that much more of an advantage...considering Hatton's conditioning and already smaller frame. But ultimately...and i say this not being a fan of Floyd's at all...he should have not even considered going down in weight. he is the bigger star and the p4p champ. I would love to see Ricky beat him...but jsut way to much speed, skill, conditioning...and even power.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by zhubin
    Floyd would have NEVER gone down to 140. Don't forget...Floyd has an enormous ego...and going down in weight to fight Hatton would have meant he was giving in to Ricky's demands. Plus, Floyd isn't stupid...he wants to have the BEST chance to win. Could he have gone down to 140 and beaten Hatton...he probably could have. But he knows at 147 he has that much more of an advantage...considering Hatton's conditioning and already smaller frame. But ultimately...and i say this not being a fan of Floyd's at all...he should have not even considered going down in weight. he is the bigger star and the p4p champ. I would love to see Ricky beat him...but jsut way to much speed, skill, conditioning...and even power.
    Ego is the reason i thougth he might of gone down tbh - sure he has the biggest ego there is, and how it woud of fed his ego to say he went down to hattons weight and beat him at it...

As for ricky being less effective at 147, cant see that, he prolyl weighs in close to that on fight night anyhow...

---

mayweather i believe only came in at 149 or 150 for the de la hoya fight... making 140 after ALL this time would do nothing for him, comparing to roy dropping from heavy to LHWto maywather dropping around 10pounds isnt even clsoe to being the same thing, that and mayweather being in his prime...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In Floyd's mind he is the MAN...the "best" boxer in the business....someone who just fought and beat the biggest star in boxing at 154. Taking that all into account...he is going to give into the demands of a much smaller star (at least here in the States) and potentially lessen his chances of dominating by going to 140?!!!!!!! I don't think so. As far as the weight issue...i am sure Hatton walks around at WAY more than 147. But he already has a small frame and has shown that he balloons up and down way too much between fights. His conditioning is a big question mark...especially if he will be chasing one of the fastest and most fit fighters in the business...and he definitely will be doing a lot of chasing. Floyd is the best conditioned boxer in the business. He has filled in nicely at 147. He is going be bigger and stronger than Hatton....and MUCH faster.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In Floyd's mind he is the MAN...the "best" boxer in the business....someone who just fought and beat the biggest star in boxing at 154. Taking that all into account...he is going to give into the demands of a much smaller star (at least here in the States) and potentially lessen his chances of dominating by going to 140?!!!!!!! I don't think so. As far as the weight issue...i am sure Hatton walks around at WAY more than 147. But he already has a small frame and has shown that he balloons up and down way too much between fights. His conditioning is a big question mark...especially if he will be chasing one of the fastest and most fit fighters in the business...and he definitely will be doing a lot of chasing. Floyd is the best conditioned boxer in the business. He has filled in nicely at 147. He is going be bigger and stronger than Hatton....and MUCH faster.
    missed the point completely aint you? fair play...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think it will matter. In years to come nobody will remember or care whether they met at 140 or 147 they'll just remember the fight and who won.

I've never heard anybody say Eubank had an advantage over Benn in their rematch because he'd been at supermiddleweight for longer than Benn, nor can I remember anyone saying Benn only beat McClellen because the G Man was just a blown up middleweight.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Preme
    missed the point completely aint you? fair play...
    Not sure what you mean...but ultimately it doesn't matter does it. The fight is taking place at 147. Hatton would have lost at 140 as well...he is just going to get a worse beat down at 147. But i hope Ricky pleasantly surprises us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Preme
    Ego is the reason i thougth he might of gone down tbh - sure he has the biggest ego there is, and how it woud of fed his ego to say he went down to hattons weight and beat him at it...

As for ricky being less effective at 147, cant see that, he prolyl weighs in close to that on fight night anyhow...

---

mayweather i believe only came in at 149 or 150 for the de la hoya fight... making 140 after ALL this time would do nothing for him, comparing to roy dropping from heavy to LHWto maywather dropping around 10pounds isnt even clsoe to being the same thing, that and mayweather being in his prime...
    If u cant see that Ricky is less effective at 147 then what is the point of this topic? If u think Ricky is just as good at 147 as he is at 140 then why care what weight the fight is at?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was 150 against ODLH.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by RP33
    That, and it wouldnt really matter.. Floyd doesn't rely on his power, if he was down to a healthy 140 without being weight drained then he may be even faster for Hatton. To be honest, i don't see it being that big of a difference in weight considering we're speaking of Floyd.
    It matters more for a speed boxer going up and down because stamina is much more important for a boxer than a puncher because they have to use more foot work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyds not really dropping much at all. He was never 154. Hatton was smart to stay at Light Welterweight but hes got an opportunity to beat an undefeated highly reguarded fighter he really has nothing to lose. Better his 0 go against Floyd than some journeyman.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't see the weight being the biggest issue in this fight. Floyd has fought down to 130 and just below a few times so he's not a naturally big guy who strips down to 147 to fight, and they are probably the ones Hatton has probs with. The height and reach advantage to Floyd may be more of an influencing factor as Floyd has a distinct advantage in both areas which i think will be tough for Hatton. Can't wait for the fight though.
    “If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” Muhammad Ali.

Thread Information