Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Floyd Mayweather The Most Textbook Skilled Fighter Since Sugar Ray Leonard ??

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default Is Floyd Mayweather The Most Textbook Skilled Fighter Since Sugar Ray Leonard ??

Sorry for the Mayweather threads but just thinking about this and i believe he is even though Roy is probably one of my favorite fighters but he wern't very textbook he was unorthdox.

But there are other fighters like.

Meldrick Taylor
    Pernell Whitaker
    Ricardo Lopez ect

Which is very debatable whats your thoughts ??

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is Floyd Mayweather The Most Textbook Skilled Fighter Since Sugar Ray Leonar

I would say that Pernell was a more skilled fighter than SRL. SRL was more athletically gifted than Pernell but not as skilled defensively IMO.

Meldrick was very skilled but more hittable than Pernell or Floyd.

And Lopez was very good but I would say that Floyd's the most skilled fighter since Pernell.

ICB Guest

Default Re: Is Floyd Mayweather The Most Textbook Skilled Fighter Since Sugar Ray Leonar

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan
    I would say that Pernell was a more skilled fighter than SRL. SRL was more athletically gifted than Pernell but not as skilled defensively IMO.

Meldrick was very skilled but more hittable than Pernell or Floyd.

And Lopez was very good but I would say that Floyd's the most skilled fighter since Pernell.
    Whitaker and Mayweather are very close i would say Whitaker is slighty better on defensive but really there isn't much difference but Mayweather is a shade quicker and hits harder.

The chin department we can't say because Mayweather has never really been hit and stamina is debatable aswell but Mayweather is gym rat he could easily go 15 rounds imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is Floyd Mayweather The Most Textbook Skilled Fighter Since Sugar Ray Leonard ??

Defensively I think Floyd is the best on that list, but as an all round fighter I think Leonard is better.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is Floyd Mayweather The Most Textbook Skilled Fighter Since Sugar Ray Leonard ??

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    Sorry for the Mayweather threads but just thinking about this and i believe he is even though Roy is probably one of my favorite fighters but he wern't very textbook he was unorthdox.

Meldrick Taylor
    Pernell Whitaker
    Ricardo Lopez ect

I wouldn't include Meldrick Taylor in this list. He was an exciting fighter and very talented, but there's a reason he never reached the heights of the other guys listed... he wasn't as good.

As for Leonard/Whitaker/Mayweather....

Leonard had by far the most power. Power is what saved him against Thomas Hearns in their first fight, on a night when he was being completely outboxed.

Whitaker is the best defensively of the group, although Floyd isn't that far behind. Whitaker was also the most technically sound. You'll never see a fighter throw punches as straight and compact as Pernell. He didn't have power, but he was incredibly skilled and efficient offensively.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whitaker was more skilled than Mayweather and maybe even Leonard.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Shaw
    Yes i agree with this a prime SWEETPEA never got outboxed , Floyd is a great fighter , but.......
    lets talk about him after maybe 2-3 more fights.
    One thing tho Leonard has the class.
    SWEETPEA had class.
    Mayweather has no class outside the ring he is a PUNK.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ready to be chastised for this but as regards text book old school boxing perhaps bernard hopkins should be included? Keep in mind im not a hopkins fan!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al

What does that have to do with the title "Is Floyd Mayweather The Most Textbook Skilled Fighter Since Sugar Ray Leonard ??"

Mayweather detractors point to his attitude which Equates to NOTHING in a Boxing ring 0

Nor does it effect his skill or accomplishments

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Meldrick Taylor
    Pernell Whitaker
    Ricardo Lopez ect

What do you mean by this? IMO Pernell was as unorthodox as Roy Jones Jr. just in a different way. His defense how he dipped so low was definitely not conventional. Meldrick Taylor had good technique, but not the greatest defense, and he didn't box as much as he should have. Ricardo Lopez was a good boxer, but not at Floyd's level. I think Floyd maybe the most technically gifted fighter ever, or up there with Willie Pep.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes i agree with this a prime SWEETPEA never got outboxed , Floyd is a great fighter , but.......
    SWEETPEA had class.

Are you kidding me??

Do you remember when Leonard was commentating on a fight and for some reason went on a tangent about how kids shouldnt do drugs, then later that night got busted with cocaine? (he either had it on him, or the cops caught him buying it)

CLASS ACT!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    Ready to be chastised for this but as regards text book old school boxing perhaps bernard hopkins should be included? Keep in mind im not a hopkins fan!
    you shouldn't be chastised for that comment. hopkins is a good example of a good textbook fighter. especialy when it comes to his defense. i think people forget him because he's not at fast or flashy.

ICB Guest

SWEETPEA had class.
    Leonard didn't have class neither did Whitaker they all talk trash its just to hype the fight Mayweather called Gatti a bum then after fight he gave Gatti respectful comments i have never seen Mayweather do anything different to any other boxer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

SWEETPEA had class.
    Leonard didn't have class neither did Whitaker they all talk trash its just to hype the fight Mayweather called Gatti a bum then after fight he gave Gatti respectful comments i have never seen Mayweather do anything different to any other boxer.
    Whitaker was definitely considered a showboat and was considered the cockiest fighter in the sport.

I can't really remember him trashing an opponent before a fight during the pre-fight hype, but he would definitely taunt guys in the ring. He'd wrap a guy's head with his right arm and then throw a behind the back punch with his left hand... he'd spin guys and punch them from behind, he'd do all types of stuff.

And he pulled Roger Mayweather's trunks down in the middle of a fight!

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea
    SWEETPEA had class.
    Whitaker was definitely considered a showboat and was considered the cockiest fighter in the sport.

I can't really remember him trashing an opponent before a fight during the pre-fight hype, but he would definitely taunt guys in the ring. He'd wrap a guy's head with his right arm and then throw a behind the back punch with his left hand... he'd spin guys and punch them from behind, he'd do all types of stuff.

And he pulled Roger Mayweather's trunks down in the middle of a fight!
    Yea like i said most boxers are cocky i like Leonard, Whitaker, Mayweather, there not classiest guys in the sport but who cares i think thats where fans go wrong this isn't a popularity contest this is fighting as long as they don't say racist comments or ect who really cares i watch them for there skills not how nice they are outside the ring.

Thread Information