Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: I thought the Ref got it right....

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default I thought the Ref got it right....

At the time i thought it was a bit premture, prolly coz that is possibly one of the best fucking fights i have ever seen and didn't want it to end. But after re-watching it a couple of times i think the ref got it right.

I can understand why so many think rafa should of been alowed to carry on, but i don't think he should of been. Yes he was the champ and you cana rgue that the champ should be given a lil extra time... but he was getting hurt, put down and looked fucked... almost everyone seems to say the same thing "i think he should of been allowed ot carry on, isreal would of stopped him though" why let a young boxer risk his carrer and health for the million - 1 chance of getting a lucky punch and turning the fight around?

We all know how when your tired and hurt a big punch will affect you more than normal, when your already hurt, your brains has been bounced about your skull, your fatigued, confused, unable to defend your self as you would normally, unable to find your feet and stick and move, rafa was out on his feet, he could not properly move away, keep his hands up or move his head, he was going to eat punches, and seriously could of suffered long term from one monster left hook off vasquez...

I'm glad the ref stopped it, now i know i will be able to see rafa in action again. He wasn't going to win that fight, we all know it... the ref done the right thing IMO.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I thought the Ref got it right....

I personally think two warriors should be allowed to duel it out until its truly beyond doubt that one cannot continue.

Im not a fan of premature stoppages, but it is their choice to continue if they feel fit to do so....if not then the corner should jump in. Then that is the end.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was a bad stoppage. Marquez was not taking big shots after big shots. He was doing his best to clear his head and avoid shots. While at the same time throwing punches back. I could understand if the fight had been one-sided leading up to the knock down. But it wasn't. The fight was pretty much even.

ICB Guest

Rafael Marquez vs. Israel Vasquez Rematch (rd 6)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mVnmve...elated&search=

Bad stoppage imo but im glad Marquez lost in a way so we can see rubber match but Marquez was still defending and throwing back at some points.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In boxing how things appear are not always how they turn out and that is why i disagreed with the stoppage...i said before if it was wednesday night fights with two guys that were like 12-1 or something likd that then it would be more acceptable, but the way the last fight was and the way this fight was going it's a shame to end any fight with a guy still throwing or dodging in pete's case against calzagehe....peter looked like he was on the way out but so have many other fighters that have gone on to win.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought it was a bit quick but IMO Marquez was on his way to being hurt....But from first view the night it happened I was a bit suprised.....There are a few things that change my mind now though...

Watch at 1:47 of the HBO clock....Watch Marquez as he puts his hands out not in defense but more as a hold on a sec fashion...Look at his eyes as well he is hurt....

Also something I found weird....watch at 1:55 of the youtube timer a towel comes on the ropes what was that a slight delay or just a towel being thrown out of someother reason....

[youtube=425,350]mVnmvey2fnU[/youtube]

Makes me rethink things a bit
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise
    It was a bad stoppage. Marquez was not taking big shots after big shots. He was doing his best to clear his head and avoid shots. While at the same time throwing punches back. I could understand if the fight had been one-sided leading up to the knock down. But it wasn't. The fight was pretty much even.
    I agree, he was still throwing punches and was not completely out of it. I always thought the Ref would stop a fight if one fighter was not throwing any punches at all in retaliation or was defenseless.
    This was not the case with Marquez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i thought the stoppage fine. marquez was out of it. you could see it all over his face. yeah he though a couple weak shot but vasquez was landing much harder cleaner shots and marquez only seem to be getting hurt worse.

i was actually waiting for the ref to stop the fight.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At first I was mildly surprised but didn't take me long to decide the stoppage was fine to me. Look at him in one of the videos as he's staggering backwards, legs were totally gone, looked like he had no idea where he was, he was out of it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was thinking danger, rafa was done. The ref actually gave rafa some time to continue on but it was clear rafa was done because he was constantly getting pound on by isreal. I thought the ref was a good choice because he would speak to both of them in spanish. There was no misunderstanding for sure and rafa nor his camp argued the stoppage, they actually threw in the towel for all of your infos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles
    I personally think two warriors should be allowed to duel it out until its truly beyond doubt that one cannot continue.

Im not a fan of premature stoppages, but it is their choice to continue if they feel fit to do so....if not then the corner should jump in. Then that is the end.

That's how people get killed in the ring....Not knowing when to stop themselves.

I watched the fight and in the slow mo replay, Marquez had a look of exhaustion in his eyes that told me he was done. I would like to believe that the ref saw the same.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn
    I thought it was a bit quick but IMO Marquez was on his way to being hurt....But from first view the night it happened I was a bit suprised.....There are a few things that change my mind now though...

Watch at 1:47 of the HBO clock....Watch Marquez as he puts his hands out not in defense but more as a hold on a sec fashion...Look at his eyes as well he is hurt....

Also something I found weird....watch at 1:55 of the youtube timer a towel comes on the ropes what was that a slight delay or just a towel being thrown out of someother reason....

Makes me rethink things a bit
    I dunno abou the towel, i noticed it a couple of times in fights the conroer will throw in the towel if the ref has stopped it?

But when rafa staggered back with his arms out in front of him his eyes looked gone, he looked bad and those gloves looke dlike they were pleading with israel to give him a break - watched it again last ight and thought ti was a good stoppage.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought it was a premature stoppage. Imo Marquez was winning the fight and only had to survive a couple more rounds before Vazquez would have been stopped on cuts anyhow.

The judges had Vazquez winning by 1 point at the time of the stoppage and he was badly cut. If Marquez could have weathered the storm there is every chance he could have gone on to win that fight.

It's not like he was being dominated or outclassed, it was pretty much a dead even fight and had he come through that round I'd have said he would have had at least a 50/50 chance of winning considering the state of Vazquez's face.

A fighter should never get stopped if he's clearly still in the fight, on his feet and fighting back.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Marquez had a 'Castillo' look about him right before the ref stepped in, he was wilting IMO. Good stoppage.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The towel came from Vasquez's corner. Must of been buzzed in the air in celebration.

Excellent stoppage. Marquez needed saving.

3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Thread Information