Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default ive been missing boxing alote

ive been missing for like 3 months off and on. i would go for one or two weeks and miss like one or two weeks. i think mostly becuase of the heat and just plane lazyness. im going to start going regularly starting next week. so do you guys think 4 days out of the week is good enough? and also cause ive been missing alote will my skills ware off or once i have them they will never go away kinda like riding a bike? thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: ive been missing boxing alote

Hi lynwood,

4 days a week is plenty, especially when most gyms idea of training is overtraining their guys and wondering why someone hasn't showed up that day. What you need is to make a routine out of it, write it down if it helps to make it any clearer.

Skills don't ware off they, they just get rusty if you take too long of a rest. I like the idea of writing things down, so even when you're not busy training you still have your sights set on the days to come. You can make a real self-improvement out of it. What kind of aspects of your boxing do you want to improve on, and just like a frame by frame reel you come up with different ways that you can work on them.

Some things you can do everyday without it getting old, reading material that will get you interested into boxing, doing running or walking on a regular basis. Proper stretching can also be a plus if you can get into the routine of doing it. Personally I feel a lot better even happy in a way when I get something physical done during the day.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

By the way why don't you introduce yourself on the main board (boxing talk) You'll get the red carpet treatment and plenty of pats on the back from a bunch of people that love boxing. You'll get a lot of feedback that way, and is an opportune chance to ask a question.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by lynwood1
    ive been missing for like 3 months off and on. i would go for one or two weeks and miss like one or two weeks. i think mostly becuase of the heat and just plane lazyness. im going to start going regularly starting next week. so do you guys think 4 days out of the week is good enough? and also cause ive been missing alote will my skills ware off or once i have them they will never go away kinda like riding a bike? thanks
    Like Chris said 4 days is plenty....Don't want to over work yourself....Another thing is that if you train too much when you do not have an upcoming bout when it comes time to train for your bout it makes it harder for the body to push itself if you keep it at maximum all the time....You end up with a reverse effect....

the only thing that happens from taking time off is not that your skills go away like you said it is like riding a bike but you get a bit rusty in timing and ect.....worse is that you have to build up the stamina all over again....

usually at my gym I have a little regime I suggest just to keep in shape and keep everything on target,,,

Warm up before every workout--shadow boxing speed bag jump rope ect....

2 days of--- heavy bag training---150-75-50 3 rds each,,, double end bag 6rds,,footwork 4 rds,,Mitt work 5 rds,,free hang bag ( like the one you used to see Tyson use for head movement) 3 rds,,3 rds on the uppercut bag then a cool down

2 days of--Cardio--bike 20min,,stair stepper 20 min,, power ball ( the huge things you see in aerobics),,light weight training ( curls, bench press, lats,,back,,shoulders,,legs)

I have them alternate days as well one cardio day one bag day ect with a day of rest in between easch

Spar 1 or 2 days depending on how they feel....Add in a 100 sit ups every other day and your jogging 3 days a week and you are fit as hell.....

Sounds like a lot but all in all it comes to about 6 hrs a week minus the jogging and sit ups...of course when preparing for a fight we add a whole lot more to it....
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by lynwood1
    Don't feel bad about it. With this heat the way it is, it's haaaard to get a good workout in. I have the same problem myself.

I don't think your skill will go down, but your physical shape might. (Your punches might not be as quick or you may not be hitting the bag quite as hard as you could before you missed training).

Thread Information