Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Greatest Japanese Boxers?

Who are some of the great Japanese boxers? Its odd to me that a nation that has excelled in so many martial arts like Judo and Kickboxing haven't really produced many memorable boxers.

I know Takeshi Fuji and Shinji Takehara were both briefly world champions in their respective times, and both were known as real good punchers.

I know Royal Kobayashi and Hiroshi Kobayashi, but only as the guys who got destroyed by Gomez and Duran respectively.

So who are the greatest boxers produced by Japan? Who is #1?
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Greatest Japanese Boxers?

Emiko Raika (来家 恵美子, born January 24, 1975 in Kyoto, Japan) is a Japanese female professional boxer. The former WIBA Featherweight Champion on the World, Raika is considered one of the greatest Japanese female boxers of all time.---- from wikipedia

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker
    Who are some of the great Japanese boxers? Its odd to me that a nation that has excelled in so many martial arts like Judo and Kickboxing haven't really produced many memorable boxers.

I know Takeshi Fuji and Shinji Takehara were both briefly world champions in their respective times, and both were known as real good punchers.

I know Royal Kobayashi and Hiroshi Kobayashi, but only as the guys who got destroyed by Gomez and Duran respectively.

joichiro tatsuyoshi,By no means the greatest japanese fighter,,One Of The Bravest You Will......(should) See!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

konichiwa. i don't know about japan's all time best but there's hiroyuki ebihara and fighting harada, Hiroshi Kobayashi and Yoshiaki Numata, all during the 60's era.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have no idea who the best Jap boxer would be but I do know that they alllll show tremendous heart and they have quite a few skilled boxers. I mean even now we have Hasegawa and Kameda. Then those which you guys have mentioned too.

I don't think I'll ever forget the beating Guts Ishimatsu took from Roberto Duran and the crazy bastard kept getting back up!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

FIGHTING HARADA! 2 Wins against the great Eder Jofre and the only man to beat him, that's enough for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by THE THIRD MAN
    FIGHTING HARADA! 2 Wins against the great Eder Jofre and the only man to beat him, that's enough for me.
    i agree

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Spicoli Surfs In 'Nawlins

joichiro tatsuyoshi,By no means the greatest japanese fighter,,One Of The Bravest You Will......(should) See!
    Neither was Takeshi would I consider a great fighter. Watching his fight against Locche didn't show me anything special besides him being a determined fighter.

I haven't seen Harada fight but if he beat Jofre then my hat goes off to him.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The greatest Japanese boxer was Yoko Gushiken, a native of Okinawa - the land of karate (remember Mr. Miyagi of the Karate Kid). He became a Jr. Flyweight champ at around 20 and retained his title 13 consequitive times, which was, I think, an Asian record at that time, somewhere in the early 80's - a record which was broken later by Khaosay Galaxy (?) of Thailand. Unfortunately, on his 14th (or was it the 13th?) defense, the previously undefeated champ lost his title and never came to terms with that defeat, retiring for good at around 24 years of age, an age which most boxers haven't even reached their peak. What a waste of talent, just one defeat and he's totally devastated, ruining his career for good.
    Once in awhile, get outside in fresh air, take a deep breath & with a deep sigh, let out all the things that's bottled up inside you & be free, & you'll get a glimpse of nirvana.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

An awesome fight was Joichiro Tatsuyoshi vs Yasuei Yakushiji.

I don't really think there have been THAT MANY Japanese boxers out there that totally dominate their weight outside their own country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

FIGHTING HARADA
    GUSHIKEN
    WATANABI

End of discussion

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by pacfan View Post
    The greatest Japanese boxer was Yoko Gushiken, a native of Okinawa - the land of karate (remember Mr. Miyagi of the Karate Kid). He became a Jr. Flyweight champ at around 20 and retained his title 13 consequitive times, which was, I think, an Asian record at that time, somewhere in the early 80's - a record which was broken later by Khaosay Galaxy (?) of Thailand. Unfortunately, on his 14th (or was it the 13th?) defense, the previously undefeated champ lost his title and never came to terms with that defeat, retiring for good at around 24 years of age, an age which most boxers haven't even reached their peak. What a waste of talent, just one defeat and he's totally devastated, ruining his career for good.
    I'm happy to learn that Mr. Gushiken was awarded the HOF just recently and that Mr. Ted Sares (below) had been lobbying for him. He was our 'hometown' hero then. When I left Okinawa, he was just a journeyman. He became a champion few years after I started living here in the Philippines and I really wanted to see his fight but unfortunately his fights were not shown here so I was really frustrated then. I can watch them now but kinda too late I guess - the enthusiasm has all but gone.

Quote Originally Posted by tedsares View Post
    FIGHTING HARADA
    GUSHIKEN
    WATANABI

End of discussion
    Here is one of his more popular fights. You can see how good he was.

Once in awhile, get outside in fresh air, take a deep breath & with a deep sigh, let out all the things that's bottled up inside you & be free, & you'll get a glimpse of nirvana.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

~ Top Japanese Boxers ~

* Fighting Harada
    * Yoko Gushiken
    * Jiro Watanabe
    * Masao Oba
    * Koichi Wajima
    * Ishimatsu 'Guts' Suzuki
    * Kuniaki Shibata
    * Masashi Kudo
    * Paul Fuji
    * Shozo Saijo
    * Hiroyuki Ebihara
    * Hiroshi Kobayashi
    * Shoji Oguma
    * Yasutsune Uehara
    * Akinobu Hiranaka
    * Tadashi Mihara
    * Lion Furuyama
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 09-21-2015 at 07:52 PM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ted The Bull
    FIGHTING HARADA
    GUSHIKEN
    WATANABI

End of discussion
    I remember Fighting Harada was a celebrity of sort in Japan. If popularity is the the guage for being a great fighter, then it'll be Harada, Gushiken, Wajima Koichi, and Guts Ishimatsu - they were all, to various degrees, celebrities in Japan. Guts Ishimatsu became a full-fledged comedian there, clowning around and showing off his badly disfigured face (so folks, beware that boxing doesn't only give you brain damage, it also messes up your pretty face ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fighting Harada, by a long way. He is an ATG

Thread Information