Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prime Roy Jones Jr: The hardest guy to hit of all time?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Prime Roy Jones Jr: The hardest guy to hit of all time?

Quote Originally Posted by GAME
    It seems alot of people have forgotten just how great Roy was in his prime . He was THE man ! The Tarver / Johnson fights were a shell of the fighter he once was so we shouldnt bring that into it when takking about peak fighters . Its like saying Ali was useless cuz he got owned by Berbick
    CC,I agree. I think prime RJJ was deceptively difficult to hit. Even when against the ropes,he was hard to hit. And although Bernard landed some nice shots,B Hop is a legend and still didn't land that many. Neither did Toney.

I think I would have Pernell/Pepp ahead of him though. Whereas Roy faltered over time and was KTFO,an old Pernell still defensively speaking,schooled Oscar. There was 1 flurry in particular,where Lampley was going crazy(like he always does for those Oscar flurries that miss) but Oscar missed EVERY punch and there was about 8!Amazing.

I think Pepp is up there for sure but remember,he lost 3 of 4 to Saddler and Pepp must have been close to his prime for the first fight at least so,defensively,I'd have Pernell and Pepp joint top but I can see RJJ having an argument. Floyd is getting close too for sure,his defence is simply amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

PBF gotta be the hardest guy to hit of all time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd say Roy only because of that power he posessed with the defense. There was an aura of invincibility that if you missed you went to sleep so he was the hardest to hit because if he made you miss you were asleep soon thereafter

People have had better defense in basic and etc but harder to hit in terms of what was coming back at you after you miss, Roy was second to none

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker
    I've watched every fight from Pernell Whitaker, Ali and Floyd Mayweather Jr careers, most of James Toney's career, most of Winky Wright's career, I've seen Herol Graham, Niccolino Locche, Willie Pep, Benitez, ect ect.

But considering all things, I think Jones had to be the hardest guy to hit with a hard flush shot. It just seemed like he knew exactly where to be to have a blow completely miss, and when he was there to be hit (like on the ropes), he seemed to know how to pick off all the shots with his gloves. Guys like Pernell and Mayweather had better defensive technique I guess, but it seems to me like Roy was caught a lot less in his prime than they were in their primes.

What do you think? I'm not saying Roy was the best defensive fighter of all time, I just think his incredible reflexes, athletic ability and ring generalship combined to make his chin the hardest to touch.
    Yes he was in middle of the ring it was hard to land anything on him even body shots when he went to the ropes he got caught but Jones was able to defend most of those and then get back into center of the ring Roy Jones is best p4p fighter of all time imo he just dominated everyone even 3 hall of famers just imagine if Jones had Haglers chin thats scary thought.
    This time I agree with you ICE COLD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom
    Willie Pep and Nicolino Locche were harder to hit imo.
    I agree

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    Quote Originally Posted by GAME
    It seems alot of people have forgotten just how great Roy was in his prime . He was THE man ! The Tarver / Johnson fights were a shell of the fighter he once was so we shouldnt bring that into it when takking about peak fighters . Its like saying Ali was useless cuz he got owned by Berbick
    CC,I agree. I think prime RJJ was deceptively difficult to hit. Even when against the ropes,he was hard to hit. And although Bernard landed some nice shots,B Hop is a legend and still didn't land that many. Neither did Toney.

I think I would have Pernell/Pepp ahead of him though. Whereas Roy faltered over time and was KTFO,an old Pernell still defensively speaking,schooled Oscar. There was 1 flurry in particular,where Lampley was going crazy(like he always does for those Oscar flurries that miss) but Oscar missed EVERY punch and there was about 8!Amazing.

I think Pepp is up there for sure but remember,he lost 3 of 4 to Saddler and Pepp must have been close to his prime for the first fight at least so,defensively,I'd have Pernell and Pepp joint top but I can see RJJ having an argument. Floyd is getting close too for sure,his defence is simply amazing.
    I remeber whicj 1 you are talking about . Cant recall the round but Oscar missed everything and Pernell dodged and ducked in style . By the time he met Tito though the punches were hurting him

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it's hard to say who's "the" hardest - but I don't think anyone would have any trouble putting Roy in that top group. I don't!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy was the hardest to hit just off pure reflexes. He never had any defense techniques. Now that his reflexes are gone this is the reason why he is getting hit so much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

roy Jones had a very good defense but i dont think he was the hardest guy to hit. He did get hit with some good shots. remember the fight with lou del valle... he got knockdown @ that fight.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lbcya99
    roy Jones had a very good defense but i dont think he was the hardest guy to hit. He did get hit with some good shots. remember the fight with lou del valle... he got knockdown @ that fight.
    It was flash knockdown whats your point ?? Whitaker was down in Mayweather fight aswell that was nothing more than Jones being off balance.

Thread Information